• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

External Hard Drive- Help?

Ustulo

I'm interested in setting up my own server (not to replace t9k or anything, just for some fun), but I run on a laptop, and would rather not pay some third-party guy to host for me. The problem with laptops is they overheat when used to hold a server, so if I used an external hard drive, would that allow me to host on my laptop, since I could store the server on an external hard drive, or would that make no difference at all? Other than that, according to http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/ I can hold plenty of people, but I'm worried about the laptop-ness of my computer.

Can someone shed some light on this?

That website is full of lies.

And no, if anything, using an external harddrive will just choke the server even more. Minecraft is quite the IO hog.

Your best choice is to get someone you trust on t9k that has a decent computer to run it for you, or just buy a computer

Regardless of where your hard drive is, running a server will be very processor and memory intensive... If you have to run on a laptop get a good laptop cooler (don't cheap out on one).

I don't expect you to do this, but..

..the best but costliest solution would to get a whole computer for it. That's what woot does.

Ustulo said:
Ah, that makes sense :p
I'm thinking more of the laptop cooler, I use this thing so much in shorts I often have red legs, so this would be really worth it x3

I hate that :(

What you would need to buy for that is a cooling pad

You can run 512 slot servers on 2-8GB RAM? @_o I think that website is lying too

It seems to think we can only hold 60 players on 8GB. We were hosting 80+ earlier this year, and I had the JVM limited to 3GB so it wouldn't eat the other services.

It seems to think we can only hold 60 players on 8GB. We were hosting 80+ earlier this year, and I had the JVM limited to 3GB so it wouldn't eat the other services.
This made me think that I should say that I really don't plan to want to have very many players online... like 15 or 20 at the most.

GNAX is already making a killing off of these. You could buy your own server in a year for the price of renting unmanaged services.

GNAX is already making a killing off of these. You could buy your own server in a year for the price of renting unmanaged services.

All of my servers are on a discount price from a sale, plus they're on maximum buydown and maximum pre-pay. All told, the three of them are about 300 a month (which isn't bad, considering 35% utilization of the 100mbit port is included).

All of my servers are on a discount price from a sale, plus they're on maximum buydown and maximum pre-pay. All told, the three of them are about 300 a month (which isn't bad, considering 35% utilization of the 100mbit port is included).
Lolz, I host a server for 20 bucks a month with 20 Slots and 2 GB of ram...

Lolz, I host a server for 20 bucks a month with 20 Slots and 2 GB of ram...

These servers are hosting 30 of my websites, ~30 game servers, t9k radio, Team9000 Camo, the auth server, mumble, and an entire other (non-t9k) large project ;)

Back