What is the purpose in life?

Why are we here? Is there really a god? Wait, what? I meant why are we HERE? In this canyon. The only reason we have a base over here is because they have a base over there. And the only reason they have a base over there is because we have a base over here. What are they talking about? I
fucking
hate you.
<My view.

Honestly, I think it is impossible at this point in time to figure out this question. "What is the purpose in life?" is something I think people just cannot think about and come to a correct conclusion on, assuming there is one. To think that one species can understand the existence of the entire universe is kind of a crazy idea when put in to perspective. I've tried to give this some thought, but I get annoyed or anxious after awhile of thinking on it. Then, after awhile, I go do whatever and completely forget my last few hours of thought, until the question pops back into my head at another random time. I'm not as intellectual as some on these forums who really know how to use logic and reasoning to come to these past conclusions.

Why are we here? Is there really a god? Wait, what? I meant why are we HERE? In this canyon. The only reason we have a base over here is because they have a base over there. And the only reason they have a base over there is because we have a base over here. What are they talking about? I
fucking
hate you.
<My view.
I fucking love you. (No homo)

To GreenEarth, post #54:

One: In the example with the rubber bands, it does not prove that order can come from disorder. It just proves that through the laws of friction, random rubber bands can get tangled up into a wad, not a ball. Actually, this wad of rubber bands is disorder, not order, because before they were separate items with different shapes, colors, and sizes with their own respective orders (such as mass and what have you) and now they have become mixed up into a convoluted mess. Also, they did not become a "rubber band" atom either. They were laying on top of each other, not forming into a single rubber band. And of course they weren't "designed" to do this because rubber bands are easier and more practical to use when not wadded up. There can be unknown "uses" of a device that were previously undiscovered, such as the accidental discovery of using a magnetron to melt chocolate, which was later to be invented into a microwave. However, that does not mean there wasn't a designer who made the rubber bands in the first place. Rubber bands didn't make themselves; man used the materials around him to invent the devices.

Also, later in that article, the writer says that "Intelligent Design has no scientific credibility whatsoever" and that "there's not the slightest evidence for it, and it is untestable and unfalsifiable." OK, first, this reference you cited obviously is coming from a biased standpoint so it's difficult to trust anything they say. And secondly, "untestable and unfalsifiable"? Just because it can't be proven in a lab makes it false? Yet the writer contradicts himself by saying it's impossible to prove it's false, when he says with absolute certainty (as evident in the rest of the article as well) Intelligent Design couldn't possible be true.

One more thing: why does he say that Intelligent Design, "as a philosophical notion [it] doesn't attract interest amongst philosophers either." What? What about the billions of people who have believed in some form of Intelligent Design throughout the past few thousand years (in almost any religion)? He also says "as a philosophical notion, it is completely empty of content". Again, this make no sense at all. If there is no God, there is no absolute purpose to life, unless you call surviving a purpose (which it is not, it's nature). If there IS a God, then everything has a purpose, and a meaningful one at that, because an Intelligent Designer would not create something that lacked the values of Himself. What He created and what He was would be represented in what He makes, just like what a painter paints is a representation of who he is.

Two: The will to survive is not freewill as animals have. Freewill is "the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion." Survival is a constraint of necessity or fate, so an animal's will to survive cannot be freewill. Freewill is to make decisions out of choice, not force. Like in morals, for example. You can choose to do wrong or you can choose to do right. No one can force you to do either. It's your choice on how you act. It's your choice on what you do with our life. Why? Because humans alone have been given the concept of freewill.

Three: Having the same values is not the same thing as acting on those same values. You can tell me not to steal a cookie from the cookie jar, but that doesn't mean I will obey you (figuratively speaking, haha). When people kill each other, and when people do not treat others as equals, they are both suppressing those core values in their hearts and choosing not to follow them. This brings us back to freewill. We have the choice to follow these basic moral laws, but that doesn't mean because of that freedom that these morals laws don't exist.

Four: The big bang theory and the theory of evolution still have a major flaw: they go on the premise that, with enough time, anything can happen. Yet tell me: if you break a glass bottle on the floor, will it, with enough time, evolve and rebuild the fragments into a glass bottle again? Of course not. That's absurd. Why then is it so easy for many to believe that man, the most complex creature on the planet, could have evolved over time into the creature it is now as well? (Also a note, I don't believe in macro evolution, but I DO believe in microevolution. I accept the notion that there could have been a single breed of dog created at the beginning of time; and, within it, containing all the possibilities of genetics, could have "evolved" into other breeds of dogs. However, that is not even remotely similar to a dog evolving into a completely different species. Variations within species are possible, however.

I'm actually more on the bandwagon of not caring, I do have a love for knowing what is what but knowing the unknowable and thus people try to invent the unknowable simply does not interest me. :cool:
However, that is going under the premise that our true purpose in life is unknowable. What if it was possible to know the true meaning to life? Would you want to know about it?

Honestly, I think it is impossible at this point in time to figure out this question. "What is the purpose in life?" is something I think people just cannot think about and come to a correct conclusion on, assuming there is one. To think that one species can understand the existence of the entire universe is kind of a crazy idea when put in to perspective. I've tried to give this some thought, but I get annoyed or anxious after awhile of thinking on it. Then, after awhile, I go do whatever and completely forget my last few hours of thought, until the question pops back into my head at another random time. I'm not as intellectual as some on these forums who really know how to use logic and reasoning to come to these past conclusions.
What if the purpose in life was knowable? What if we, by saying it is unknowable, are rejecting the notion of truth itself? You said at this point in time it's impossible to come to a conclusion. Does that mean we still have to evolve into a higher state of being in order to grasp the meaning of the universe? No matter how much "knowledge" we attain in the future, that does not neglect the fact that the truth still exists. It would be illogical to think that this truth can only be revealed to us later in time, when thousands upon thousands of years have already passed. If we always look at the purpose of life as something that mankind will learn in the future, we will never come to the knowledge of truth, because we would be rejecting what we already have seen in the past, and what we are still seeing in the present.

Sorry if this is confusing. <3

I was going to dump a philosophical load on this thread, and bring out my true intellectual prowess, but I have been writing a term paper all day and don't feel like it.

We human beings, have the right to decide what we want for ourselves. The purpose in life if what we want it to be, not what people want us to believe it to be. Some people look for a laid back form of life, where they will try to have as little worries as they can. Others try to delve deep into life, trying to find out the innermost parts of a persons life, pick it apart, and adapt it to what they want their lives to be like. My, personally, I am a Christian. I am not a Christian because I am forced, or because I believe in some magic voodoo man in the sky that makes everything all good. I believe what I believe because I want something more than simplicity. I yearn for a deeper love, a deeper knowledge, and a deeper connection. That is what I want. I will never force my on beliefs on anyone else. I will never atone to what come so called "christians" do to make people believe in what they do. I will keep my beliefs to myself, as I expect other people to do. I hate it when people try to force what they want to be true on me. I will just ignore them, and keep living my life the way I want it. I take that into account, that that is how others feel about it as well. I try to keep my beliefs out of everything I do. However, they are a part of my being. Do you ever hear me use profanities or any other such conduct? No. That is because I like it like that. I do not mind it, and do not care when other people use them, that is their decision.

For me, life is worth living. Life gives me purpose in itself. I find purpose in the little things I do every day. Lastly, I find purpose in my beliefs.
I am always open to new ideas, I am always up for sharing mine. I will sit down, buy you lunch, and talk to you for hours if you are willing to listen.
I care for all of you, and wish you all the best.

Oh, and have a very, merry, Christmas!

I'll try and respond to this in the near future. :p

And yes, do have a merry, merry Christmas! :biggrin:

Interesting how I didn't find Albert Einstein in there. Did you know that he was not an atheist, but an agnostic? He didn't believe there was a personal God, sure, but he did believe in an all-pervading principle whose ultimate attributes could be identified with God's, and therefore that it was God.

Still, this is besides the point. My point is: who or what are you putting your ultimate faith and trust in? Science? Science is man's interpretations of his surroundings. As for man? Man is flawed. God is not.

This is as true, and genuine an answer i can give you. Looking past political, philosophical and religious dribble (no offense).

Everybody, one day will die, and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun, fuck a mundane and predicatable life, working monday to friday with something you derive no pleasure from; just living life out till you grow old and whither away. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks, trust me it's alot more fun that way.

Don't ever pay people out or put people down. Instead just put yourself up and let the haters do their thing. I'd rather be a person that's hated on, than a person that does the hating.

A wise man once said.. Haters gonna hate!

That is the ideology i live by.

To GreenEarth, post #54:

One: In the example with the rubber bands, it does not prove that order can come from disorder. It just proves that through the laws of friction, random rubber bands can get tangled up into a wad, not a ball. Actually, this wad of rubber bands is disorder, not order, because before they were separate items with different shapes, colors, and sizes with their own respective orders (such as mass and what have you) and now they have become mixed up into a convoluted mess. Also, they did not become a "rubber band" atom either. They were laying on top of each other, not forming into a single rubber band. And of course they weren't "designed" to do this because rubber bands are easier and more practical to use when not wadded up. There can be unknown "uses" of a device that were previously undiscovered, such as the accidental discovery of using a magnetron to melt chocolate, which was later to be invented into a microwave. However, that does not mean there wasn't a designer who made the rubber bands in the first place. Rubber bands didn't make themselves; man used the materials around him to invent the devices.

Also, later in that article, the writer says that "Intelligent Design has no scientific credibility whatsoever" and that "there's not the slightest evidence for it, and it is untestable and unfalsifiable." OK, first, this reference you cited obviously is coming from a biased standpoint so it's difficult to trust anything they say. And secondly, "untestable and unfalsifiable"? Just because it can't be proven in a lab makes it false? Yet the writer contradicts himself by saying it's impossible to prove it's false, when he says with absolute certainty (as evident in the rest of the article as well) Intelligent Design couldn't possible be true.

One more thing: why does he say that Intelligent Design, "as a philosophical notion [it] doesn't attract interest amongst philosophers either." What? What about the billions of people who have believed in some form of Intelligent Design throughout the past few thousand years (in almost any religion)? He also says "as a philosophical notion, it is completely empty of content". Again, this make no sense at all. If there is no God, there is no absolute purpose to life, unless you call surviving a purpose (which it is not, it's nature). If there IS a God, then everything has a purpose, and a meaningful one at that, because an Intelligent Designer would not create something that lacked the values of Himself. What He created and what He was would be represented in what He makes, just like what a painter paints is a representation of who he is.

Two: The will to survive is not freewill as animals have. Freewill is "the power of acting without the constraint of necessity or fate; the ability to act at one's own discretion." Survival is a constraint of necessity or fate, so an animal's will to survive cannot be freewill. Freewill is to make decisions out of choice, not force. Like in morals, for example. You can choose to do wrong or you can choose to do right. No one can force you to do either. It's your choice on how you act. It's your choice on what you do with our life. Why? Because humans alone have been given the concept of freewill.

Three: Having the same values is not the same thing as acting on those same values. You can tell me not to steal a cookie from the cookie jar, but that doesn't mean I will obey you (figuratively speaking, haha). When people kill each other, and when people do not treat others as equals, they are both suppressing those core values in their hearts and choosing not to follow them. This brings us back to freewill. We have the choice to follow these basic moral laws, but that doesn't mean because of that freedom that these morals laws don't exist.

Four: The big bang theory and the theory of evolution still have a major flaw: they go on the premise that, with enough time, anything can happen. Yet tell me: if you break a glass bottle on the floor, will it, with enough time, evolve and rebuild the fragments into a glass bottle again? Of course not. That's absurd. Why then is it so easy for many to believe that man, the most complex creature on the planet, could have evolved over time into the creature it is now as well? (Also a note, I don't believe in macro evolution, but I DO believe in microevolution. I accept the notion that there could have been a single breed of dog created at the beginning of time; and, within it, containing all the possibilities of genetics, could have "evolved" into other breeds of dogs. However, that is not even remotely similar to a dog evolving into a completely different species. Variations within species are possible, however.

One: I didn't read the part about intelligent design as it was not relevant to this conversation of order from disorder.

Two: We weren't given anything, animals make a variety of creative decisions to reach their ultimate goal of survival and reproduction. humans make a variety of creative decisions to reach our over complicated goals of happiness, satisfaction, bla bla bla.

Three: No, some people truly believe that some people aren't equals to them. There is no hidden morals that some people choose to ignore. There are no core moral laws, it just a bunch of shit we made to make our lives better, stop complicating things.

Four: Wrong. Anything can happen? Are you making stuff up? You don't believe it? You don't have to, it's called fossil evidence. The only debate is how, not if. You need to spend some time with scientific literature (textbooks are a good start), a lot of time. This will help you grasp concepts which you are obviously having a hard time "believing".

One: Yes, but it is relevant to the overall discussion.

Two: Creativity is not freewill. Creativity is the use of imagination or original ideas in one's work (i.e. in this case, survival?). A monkey can be creative in how it gets a banana off a tree. He is using the mental capacity that he has to figure a way to get that banana more efficiently. However, he is still doing it out of a constraint of necessity [or fate]. This is not freewill; it is surviving in nature.

Three: You say I am complicating things, but you are oversimplifying things. Still, no man knows another man's heart [but God]; just because a man believes he is unequal with other men doesn't mean he is making basic moral laws; no, he is rejecting them. If morals are made just to make our lives better, then that means you could make morals be anything you want them to be. No accountability, just do whatever you want. Does that sound wise?

Four: You knew what I meant by "anything can happen". Of course "anything" still falls under our universal laws. Yes, I don't believe in macro evolution. Fossil evidence? Could you please show me? I love science, so this would greatly inform me. And sorry, but I am not going to read "textbooks" (at least the popular ones that are used in many atheistic schools), because I have found many flaws in them that directly contradict science or that are shown as fact when in reality they are just theory. You tell me: does it take more faith to believe that, through chances out of a billion, you came into existence by random processes with no coherent structure and evolved into the person you are today, or to believe that there maybe is a God out there who created you and I from the very beginning?

Peace. :)

Life has no single purpose, people may think so but they are deluded in their thoughts. We all have our own purpose in life, some may find it and others may not but that's besides the point.

The point of life is to make the best of it. Do what ever pleases you the most and always to make sure that you are happy. Fuck what ever anyone says about you or any of your views. You are yourself dont let people change it. Also dont spend time getting mad over anything, Just have fun You only live once.

One: Yes, but it is relevant to the overall discussion.

Two: Creativity is not freewill. Creativity is the use of imagination or original ideas in one's work (i.e. in this case, survival?). A monkey can be creative in how it gets a banana off a tree. He is using the mental capacity that he has to figure a way to get that banana more efficiently. However, he is still doing it out of a constraint of necessity [or fate]. This is not freewill; it is surviving in nature.

Three: You say I am complicating things, but you are oversimplifying things. Still, no man knows another man's heart [but God]; just because a man believes he is unequal with other men doesn't mean he is making basic moral laws; no, he is rejecting them. If morals are made just to make our lives better, then that means you could make morals be anything you want them to be. No accountability, just do whatever you want. Does that sound wise?

Four: You knew what I meant by "anything can happen". Of course "anything" still falls under our universal laws. Yes, I don't believe in macro evolution. Fossil evidence? Could you please show me? I love science, so this would greatly inform me. And sorry, but I am not going to read "textbooks" (at least the popular ones that are used in many atheistic schools), because I have found many flaws in them that directly contradict science or that are shown as fact when in reality they are just theory. You tell me: does it take more faith to believe that, through chances out of a billion, you came into existence by random processes with no coherent structure and evolved into the person you are today, or to believe that there maybe is a God out there who created you and I from the very beginning?

Peace. :)

Two: he can decide whether he wants a banana or something else. Using your logic, humans do not have free will either, we do things out of necessity, to get money to buy food water, and support families. If I throw you on a deserted island, you will act the same way as the monkey to survive, this does not mean I have deprived you of free will. Humans are not that special.

Three: It's not wise in our social environment. Yes you can make them whatever you want them to be, as long as you survive and are satisfied.

Four: If you refuse to read the things that will give you the information I am going to spend my time giving you, then I will not even bother. They are theories because maybe they have exceptions, but they have been extensively verified with experimentation and most of the time work. Random processes with no coherent structure? First off there is nothing random in nature, it may seem random as there might be a large amount of variables. The structure is coherent, DNA for example is copied in the same manner in most cells, cells have similar structures, etc etc.

One piece of evidence for macro evolution: Homologous and Analogous Structures.
Homologous structures show us that all of the shown species once had a common ancestor, because obviously their bone structure is very similar, and for common ancestors of lets say cats and humans have same similarities. These structures have different functions though.
limbs.jpg

Analogous structures show that even when animals do not have the same common ancestor similar pressures in nature will lead to population gaining structures with the same function.
analogous-structures.jpg

The universe is created by a giant frog named Bilious Slick, which has been bred by finding the one true gene in a single frog. The created universe is the prize of those who played a certain game and became victorious. Although by playing this game the current universe will eventually be destroyed by falling meteors.

Back