• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

The Gallifrax Town Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I dont own any story i write unless I get it copyrighted? I write something and people can take it and nothing to do about it? I just want to have him not name it Gallifrax, all im asking ok? We dont need to get in a copyright battle or other. I just want to keep my ideas to myself
Then you should have calmly asked him to please not name it that, not start bitching at him immediately.

You save the bitching for if they are a douche after the very, very CALM, POLITE discussion.

Knowing Atilla, he can make people mad very fast. My initial rage is over you can close the thread
Ill talk to him now

So I dont own any story i write unless I get it copyrighted? I write something and people can take it and nothing to do about it? I just want to have him not name it Gallifrax, all im asking ok? We dont need to get in a copyright battle or other. I just want to keep my ideas to myself

Anything art related belongs to the artist, a town name doesn't classify as art. That's the simplest way to say it. Books are written art, technically.

This comment was completely unnecessary.

This, compounded with the fact that he has received a lot of complaints from other towns, such as Haven and Caprica, as well as considering himself to "win" makes me think twice about letting him have his way with the name of this town. It's obvious that he has stolen the name and is using it to irritate Pyrhos.

Ok, I am saying here in this thread that I have been receiving complaints about Atilla. I have been told he changed the name of Caprican Passageway to "Atilla Boulevard" as well as attempting to claim land as his without permission. These are just the latest incidents.
I say we warn every town about Atilla.

He is obviously nothing but a trouble maker, and he has applied to multiple towns already. I don't want them suffering what Caprica did.

This, compounded with the fact that he has received a lot of complaints from other towns, such as Haven and Caprica, as well as considering himself to "win" makes me think twice about letting him have his way with the name of this town. It's obvious that he has stolen the name and is using it to irritate Pyrhos.

This entire thread is starting to cause a drama-fest in my opinion, and it should be deleted.

Hoooooly moly. Even the people with supposed "law class" knowledge in this thread are very, very wrong.

You can't "call" copyright.
If copyright worked that way the internet would be one clusterfuck of a place..
Whether or not its your idea in the first place, he CAN still use it; there is no law against it unless you ACTUALLY got it copyrighted, which I doubt.

Nononono, you all misunderstand. Copyright does not have to be registered. Copyright is effectively activated the moment you come up with an idea and put it into practice, whether it be art, a novel, or a piece of software (software can also be patented, but that's another story). Regardless, the important thing to note here is that a name cannot be copyrighted. A name can be trademarked (very different).

A trademark typically needs to be registered through the state or national patent and trademark office, however, there also exists something called an unregistered trademark. An unregistered trademark works similarly to a copyright, in that it doesn't need to be formally registered to hold legal weight. However, for an unregistered trademark to "work," the name must be used actively, or else it falls back into the public domain.

While this certainly isn't a court case, I'd be happy to informally uphold this unregistered trademark, if Pyrhos could infact provide proof that he was planning on using the name over the past few weeks. Otherwise, the name is no longer his intellectual property, and is free to be used by anyone who wants it.

Hoooooly moly. Even the people with supposed "law class" knowledge in this thread are very, very wrong.

I didn't specifically learn that in law class, I was just going off what I read online. My bad.

While this certainly isn't a court case, I'd be happy to informally uphold this unregistered trademark, if Pyrhos could infact provide proof that he was planning on using the name over the past few weeks. Otherwise, the name is no longer his intellectual property, and is free to be used by anyone who wants it.

I guess now is the time to point out that Pyhros's location is Gallifrax. Not sure how much weight that will carry, but you do operate and own this site so you must be able to check when that was entered.

What about intellectual property?

Intellectual Property usually is some form of the idea; art, photos, a written story.

Example:

I dream up a time machine, I can't copyright it.

I make a schematic for a working time machine, I still can't copyright the time machine. I can however, patent the time machine.

I draw a painting of a time machine, I can copyright that painting, and if someone copies it, then it's infrigement, but if someone makes one like it, well, nothing.

I can trademark the name of the machine, like if I called it the JerzeyMachine.

Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In many cases, these things may be protected as trademarks.
Code:
http://www.legalzoom.com/copyrights-faq/copyright-name-title-slogan-logo.html

Intellectual Property usually is some form of the idea; art, photos, a written story.

Example:

I dream up a time machine, I can't copyright it.

I make a schematic for a working time machine, I still can't copyright the time machine. I can however, patent the time machine.

I draw a painting of a time machine, I can copyright that painting, and if someone copies it, then it's infrigement, but if someone makes one like it, well, nothing.

I can trademark the name of the machine, like if I called it the JerzeyMachine.

Code:
http://www.legalzoom.com/copyrights-faq/copyright-name-title-slogan-logo.html

I want a jerzeymachine. Where can I get one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back