Kerbal Space Program Thread

Ekgladiator

Hullo and welcome to the Kerbal Space Program general discussion thread!!! (Scott Manley reference anyone!?)

For those who do not know Kerbal Space Program (otherwise known as KSP) is a sandbox space flight simulator game that is in constant development similarly to how minecraft is updated. Currently they are working to implementing a functional career mode whilst adding a plethora of new parts for us to play with. The beauty of this game is that there are endless possibilities for one to try to complete. Want to land on the mun? Go for it.!Want to make a space station? yup make sure to pack extra snack! Want to build a flying car, of course just add more struts and boosters! The best part about this game is probably the modding community, there are mods for everything. Find that kerbin is boring? Add cities! want to be able to mine valuable resources to make renewable bases on different planets, try out kethane! find the stock parts aren't enough? b9 has you covered! If you are interested in getting it you can try out the demo to see if you like it and then if you like it you can buy it through steam or the website for 23 dollars!

Now that you have a basic understanding of the game, the point of this thread is to discuss the latest in KSP including new updates, cool moods, and other things as well! In addition to that I want people to be able to post screen shots, gifs and videos of latest achievements such as landing on the mun, building a flyable space plane, or building something so wacky that it just fits the spirit of KSP in general! On top of that we can also share our craft files so that others can try out our designs for them selves.

Some standard rules:
1) Don't be a dick.
2) Remember everyone learns at a different pace and congratulate someone for doing something awesome instead of well being a dick.
3) Remember KSP is a sandbox, you can take it as seriously as you want to which means wacky planes are just as welcome as a mun base or jool orbit.
4) If your craft fails add more struts, if still failing add boosters. If still failing try a simpler design!
5) Sometimes the simplest designs work the best, even though it is fun to see how many boosters one can strap to a rocket.
6) Have fun!

Current version: .21
In development: .22
The Kerbal Space Program website
The steam app
The mod center aka the Space Port
My KSP Album

Btw if you are interested in buying the game it is on sale for the next 48 hours or so!

Thread begin!

Ermehgurd yus! Been waiting for this, yet it never occored to me to start it myself...
Anyways, I play KSP, I've had sucessful landings on the Mun and Minmus, and I've crashed into Duna a few times.
So I think I do pretty well for myself.

I've pretty much put the exploration program on hold, and I'm trying to develop different "vehicles" such as a space plane rover. Promise, it works, sometimes.

I tried KSP on a friends laptop at a LAN party. I am now waiting for it to go on sale.

One thing that I like about it is that the physics are realistic. What this means is that I can use my $150,000 engineering (AKA: Rocket Science) degree to make rockets that don't crash in a $23 game.

I tried KSP on a friends laptop at a LAN party. I am now waiting for it to go on sale.

One thing that I like about it is that the physics are realistic. What this means is that I can use my $150,000 engineering (AKA: Rocket Science) degree to make rockets that don't crash in a $23 game.

The game is indeed on sale for $13.79.

Hullo and welcome to the Kerbal Space Program general discussion thread!!! (Scott Manley reference anyone!?)

For those who do not know Kerbal Space Program (otherwise known as KSP) is a sandbox space flight simulator game that is in constantly development similarly to how minecraft is updated. Currently they are working to implementing a functional career mode whilst adding a plethora of new parts for us to play with. The beauty of this game is that there are endless possibilities for one to try to complete. Want to land on the mun? Go for it.!Want to make a space station? yup make sure to pack extra snack! Want to build a flying car, of course just add more struts and boosters! The best part about this game is probably the modding community, there are mods for everything. Find that kerbin is boring? Add cities! want to be able to mine valuable resources to make renewable bases on different planets, try out kethane! find the stock parts aren't enough? b9 has you covered! If you are interested in getting it you can try out the demo to see if you like it and then if you like it you can buy it through steam or the website for 23 dollars!

Now that you have a basic understanding of the game, the point of this thread is to discuss the latest in KSP including new updates, cool moods, and other things as well! In addition to that I want people to be able to post screen shots, gifs and videos of latest achievements such as landing on the mun, building a flyable space plane, or building something so wacky that it just fits the spirit of KSP in general! On top of that we can also share our craft files so that others can try out our designs for them selves.

Some standard rules:
1) Don't be a dick.
2) Remember everyone learns at a different pace and congratulate someone for doing something awesome instead of well being a dick.
3) Remember KSP is a sandbox, you can take it as seriously as you want to which means wacky planes are just as welcome as a mun base or jool orbit.
4) If your craft fails add more struts, if still failing add boosters. If still failing try a simpler design!
5) Sometimes the simplest designs work the best, even though it is fun to see how many boosters one can strap to a rocket.
6) Have fun!

Current version: .21
In development: .22
The Kerbal Space Program website
The steam app
The mod center aka the Space Port

Btw if you are interested in buying the game it is on sale for the next 48 hours or so!

Thread begin!

(Pending edit to add my album of stuff)

My good friend has this game on Steam and I've seen a couple of YouTube videos on it :3
I'm really interested in buying this :p

Well I managed to get those 3 beasts to the mun.

KSP.png

If you want an awesome collection of parts, download the B9 Aerospace Pack.
And if you are a lazy dick like me, get the Impossible Innovations mod.
MechJeb is also a very useful autopilot.

Yay Mun base! Quick bit of advice, though: Use the longest ladder that will fit in a given span. They all weigh the same, so using a telescoping ladder instead of a bunch of three-rung segments will help your delta-V as well as your framerate because there are fewer bits for the physics engine to have to deal with. Crew hatches all have built-in ladders, too, so you don't need to run extra stuff alongside. If there's an issue with your hatches lining up (such as that 3-man command pod with... pretty much anything else) using Shift+Q/E will let you rotate it in 5-degree increments instead of 90. (And actually, unless you're on Kerbin, Eve, Laythe, Tylo, or Moho you don't even need the ladders thanks to the Kerbals' RCS jetpacks, but in the really low-gravity environments it's safer to use a ladder. And that's safer for your lander/rover, not the Kerbal. I accidentally sent a chunk of my Minmus base tumbling up and over a hill trying to get a crew member back aboard after planting a flag.) The "Crew Manifest" mod can completely eliminate your need for ladders between command pods/lander cans/et cetera by letting you move your Kerbals around without having to EVA them. It works with docked craft, too, even if they're connected using a Kerbal Attachment System winch and cable instead of an actual docking port. (KAS also allows fuel transfer, so I guess the cable is actually a hose, and it transfers crew by liquifying them on one end and reconstituting them on the other. Or something like that.)

Something else that'll help your part count is using lights only where absolutely necessary, like one over a ladder (if you choose to use one) or lined up with and/or pointed at your docking port. Good to have one or two on your rovers, too, but anywhere else and it's usually better to just use your Kerbal's helmet-mounted lights. The "Ion Hybrid Engine" parts pack is good, too, because of its selection of larger solar panels and RTGs, as well as (obviously) bigger and better ion engines. There's another pack with extra solar panels, but I forget the name of it.

RCS blocks are another big framerate killer. If your craft is rather light, or if you don't plan on docking it with anything, skip 'em entirely and use a reaction wheel close to your CoM (that's center-of-mass) if you find you need it (usually after watching a rocket start tumbling during your gravity turn). If you *do* need RCS for maneuvering, use four quads at whichever end of your craft is closer to the CoM, another four an equal distance from the CoM in the other direction, and four of the linear ports right at CoM if you need a little extra power. That'll give you the best torque and lateral force with a minimum of unwanted maneuvering (translating when you're trying to rotate, and vice-versa) which saves fuel, which means you can launch a craft with less of it, reducing the mass and increasing your TWR/delta-V. There's actually a mod designed solely to aid in the placement of RCS thrusters, but unless your craft is really heavy and/or complex (e.g. asymmetrical) it might just get in the way. I haven't used it, and I don't plan to.

Oh, and the IRC channel #KSPOfficial on esper.net is a great place to ask questions, share mission successes/failures, and overall just have fun.

...Okay, that turned out less quick than I'd intended. x3

Ermehgurd yus! Been waiting for this, yet it never occored to me to start it myself...
Anyways, I play KSP, I've had sucessful landings on the Mun and Minmus, and I've crashed into Duna a few times.
So I think I do pretty well for myself.

I've pretty much put the exploration program on hold, and I'm trying to develop different "vehicles" such as a space plane rover. Promise, it works, sometimes.
lol when I saw avroom post his first mun landing I figured there where other people on the forum who played the game! I'm glad the thread took off though it was a bit of a gamble (not like I spent 30 minutes making sure the first post was decent or anything :p)

My school has a club for this game and I signed up for it, which means I'll be getting it soon :D
I recommend getting it now as it is on sale (granted it is totally worth the 23 dollars in my opinion)

His channel is gold for KSP related videos.

oh heck yes danny is amazing for his silly contraptions, I presonally started on thorlp then went over to scoot manley and danny (kurtjmack does some but there are ok)

So like I said I'm happy this thread took off and so I will post my three landings so far and my favorite rover which I'm still working on getting to a planet.

some screen shots from my various outings
Ok98ozx.jpg
(second mun landing)
1STFCpk.jpg
(quote plaque)
HXKrD6o.jpg

88AyDP0.jpg

uCNjXWJ.jpg

DoPDtoN.jpg

4O49Alt.jpg

5CQ1WTr.jpg
( my rover that is pretty nimbleish)
4HFkLPc.jpg
(my space plane I literally just made lol)
lVi47k3.jpg

TGRxfpq.jpg

my ksp album which I will be updating every now and again (adding to main post)

Hey guys whats up? Seeing as this thread's activity is well lackluster at best, I've decided to start a discussion to get things rolling.

Questions:
What does everyone think of .22 which will be coming soon [size=small]tm[/size]?
What are some of your recent success stories?
What is a totally outrageous craft you think we should all try out? (share the craft file too)
What are some humorous stories that you are willing to share?

If this discussion idea is successful then maybe like once a week (or every 2 weeks) we can have similar questions pop up so we can have common ground to talk about. If you guys like this Idea I'll be willing to add it to the first post and update the first post as needs be (I was planing on doing so anyways). If you have ideas for questions and or other things to get and keep people involved, please tell me! I want this thread to survive and to have community interaction as well. Hell if you have something you wish to do try it out! I think by doing so this thread can and will become successful.

And... purchased. Now to figure out how to play this game.
@pyro, how is the game treating you now that you've had it for a week? Do you still need help? I don't mind giving you pointers at all as I'm sure most of the people don't either.

That feel when you're approaching the Minmus at a good trajectory, you have it in sight, you're heading straight for it. You've got the landing feet out, you're pointed in the correct direction. You're 100ft off the surface, then you look at your speed.

647m/s.

F.
M.
L.

That feel when you're approaching the Minmus at a good trajectory, you have it in sight, you're heading straight for it. You've got the landing feet out, you're pointed in the correct direction. You're 100ft off the surface, then you look at your speed.

647m/s.

F.
M.
L.
Press F5 to quicksave when you approach objects, hold F9 to reload if you fucked it up.

Also 0.22 seems to be pretty cool, with the research things you have. I finally want to have a use for antennas and radars and stuff.

And.... That feel when your ship suddenly explodes and you have no idea why it happened.

And.... That feel when your ship suddenly explodes and you have no idea why it happened.
ahhh so you have met the Space Kracken, destroyer of ships and sometimes planets!

I have discovered that I am horrible at landing planes. I was so happy when I finally made one that flies really nicely (look at my album for the plane that kinda looks like a b2 bomber) and every time I land it, it either gets destroyed completely or the engines just fall off or something lol

Version 0.22 is out! Big updates: career mode and SCIENCE! Communotrons and the little research instruments actually do stuff now, plus there are two new scientific parts, and it's gathering science points that unlocks higher tiers of rocket parts in career mode. Worlds can have biomes now, too; Kerbin has at least a few, and there are close to a dozen on the Mun. Different altitudes count, too, so you can get a ton of science points without even going beyond LKO.

I just saw Gravity and I am now thinking that someone could reenact it inside of Kerbel Space Program.

If someone does this and records a LP I would like to watch it.

Back