A post to keep the forums alive (lurking)

Rarely lurk the forums nowadays, to be honest, seeing what is left of some of my greatest memories makes me sad. T9K will always have a special place in my heart, but this is my final post. It's been a real 5 and a half years.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

And there goes another Hitchhiker reference... Respect.

it's as though none of us know how to move on with life
What is life without Team9000? It was an internet forum so cherished that to go somewhere else seems wrong, so we keep coming back here expecting something new to bring everyone back to the place that once was full of so much life. We may have the discord now but it just doesn't feel the same. Truth is the site grew and died because of Minecraft. It was a game perfect to attract all of our different personalities and allow for us to do literally anything. But as we grew bored of the game younger and younger kids became the primary demographic. While the younger members of the site were by no means eloquent (Myself as one of the worst examples) there was some resemblance of maturity that would not be attracted in such mass as it was in 2011.

Maybe you could bring back Team9000 through enough advertising and devotion. Have Woot bring back the server indicators, update the website maybe, create user owned Minecraft servers, organize game nights, and everything that made this site so great. I would play my part and I know this is possible: the community surrounding the Minecraft Mod Millenaire that had not updated since 2014, now has a dedicated group of users working to do what they can to rebuild.

Every time we bring back game-night or make a new server it seems people have fun and can see that spark that made this community so great. Those interested should work to band together if we want to bring back this forum, ask woot to do what we need to bring things back.

Or we just let it continue to die this slow death, go our separate ways and only keep close contact with those we knew the best. When the day comes that Woot pulls the plug on a site that gets 1 post a month we can look back fondly on the times we spent here but always wonder what could have been...

That or lightning strikes thrice and we get another game as extremely popular as Minecraft and CS were that completely rebuilds the community :D

What is life without Team9000? It was an internet forum so cherished that to go somewhere else seems wrong, so we keep coming back here expecting something new to bring everyone back to the place that once was full of so much life. We may have the discord now but it just doesn't feel the same. Truth is the site grew and died because of Minecraft. It was a game perfect to attract all of our different personalities and allow for us to do literally anything. But as we grew bored of the game younger and younger kids became the primary demographic. While the younger members of the site were by no means eloquent (Myself as one of the worst examples) there was some resemblance of maturity that would not be attracted in such mass as it was in 2011.

Maybe you could bring back Team9000 through enough advertising and devotion. Have Woot bring back the server indicators, update the website maybe, create user owned Minecraft servers, organize game nights, and everything that made this site so great. I would play my part and I know this is possible: the community surrounding the Minecraft Mod Millenaire that had not updated since 2014, now has a dedicated group of users working to do what they can to rebuild.

Every time we bring back game-night or make a new server it seems people have fun and can see that spark that made this community so great. Those interested should work to band together if we want to bring back this forum, ask woot to do what we need to bring things back.

Or we just let it continue to die this slow death, go our separate ways and only keep close contact with those we knew the best. When the day comes that Woot pulls the plug on a site that gets 1 post a month we can look back fondly on the times we spent here but always wonder what could have been...

That or lightning strikes thrice and we get another game as extremely popular as Minecraft and CS were that completely rebuilds the community :D

Well said..I think the point is that while a 'server' may be available. It will never replicate the feeling of family we had 'at the day'.

We will never recover to have a similar population. We will never be as active as we were on the 'scene'. Honestly it's up to us hold outs to keep connected.

On a personal level; I never felt T9K facilitated these connections. It was more of a 'user' of data and the results ingested for it's own learning experiences (read Michael). That being said I say flip the bird to him as the personal relationship we established have outlasted him.

Well said..I think the point is that while a 'server' may be available. It will never replicate the feeling of family we had 'at the day'.

We will never recover to have a similar population. We will never be as active as we were on the 'scene'. Honestly it's up to us hold outs to keep connected.

On a personal level; I never felt T9K facilitated these connections. It was more of a 'user' of data and the results ingested for it's own learning experiences (read Michael). That being said I say flip the bird to him as the personal relationship we established have outlasted him.
Honestly the fact that people held such close friendships on such an increasingly bare-bones site (As features were outright removed) is some kind of test of human social interaction.

Personally I would stand by the site and do what I can to preserve the community but without anyone else it is just a one man show. Theo ran that one man show for years and even with Gurw we only preserved the community for another few years until everything stagnated. I respect the private server you have been running to keep alive the husk that was Team9000 but frankly a vanilla Minecraft server, even one as good as Team9000's, isn't interested to me at all. Personally I've been running yearly modded servers with some friends from my old high school on the principles of Team9000's old server and while I intend to release the current server to the public sometime soon-ish (waiting on a mod to update) that won't ever be enough to bring things back to the community server days. Maybe through the collective effort of several and the technical know-how to link up multiple server's chats along with plenty of advertising we could bring ourselves back to the 20-40 people playing at a time maybe for a year. I'm ready to play my part but I doubt many others are and that is what will kill this site.

Regardless of what happens any Team9000 member is always welcomed on one of my servers and I will always make an effort to post when one goes public so people have a place to go. If a movement ever exists to salvage what is left sign me up! And if in time the forums shut down and we scatter to the wind then so be it. I will cherish every memory from this place good and bad as they helped me grow as a person from a dyslexic kid to a slightly less dyslexic young-adult.

This is no goodbye message as part of me holds out hope not all is lost, as futile as that hope may be. Every-time I've tried to say goodbye before has ended in me returning soon after. I won't stop posting here or hopefully any day soon. I am here forever even long after this site shuts down in my heart somewhere I will be a member of Team9000.

See this is what bothers me, 'gamenights' were started by and primarily organized by myself. Woot and I would promote these on T9k social media things (if he was interested as well) and usually a good bit of people would show up, usually because he was in attendance. Nowadays though I really don't have the time I used to for organizing these and Woot wasn't particularly interested in the first place hosting them (altho a few were hosted by Woot due to errors on my part.) T9k members still keep in contact whether it's on Twitter, Facebook, Steam, Hangouts, or Discord, but ultimately we just have been caught up in life stuff to game like used to. ~Bored

frankly a vanilla Minecraft server, even one as good as Team9000's, isn't interested to me at all. Personally I've been running yearly modded servers with some friends from my old high school on the principles of Team9000's old server and while I intend to release the current server to the public sometime soon-ish (waiting on a mod to update) that won't ever be enough to bring things back to the community server days. Maybe through the collective effort of several and the technical know-how to link up multiple server's chats along with plenty of advertising we could bring ourselves back to the 20-40 people playing at a time maybe for a year.

I'm sure we can do it if we just link a vanilla server, a modded server, another modded server with a different set of mods that someone else prefers, a Quake server, a Team Fortress server, ... we just need satisfy everyone's diverse and conflicting interests :D

To be serious though, I was wondering with our vanilla server if we scheduled some kind of build-a-thon event, or I just scheduled the upgrade to a new version, whether it might drag in a few people. By schedule, I mean work out who would even be interested and then try to pick a time that works for as many of us as possible.

Maybe we should load up the world from Theo's second server with the Towny nation(?) of "Zion" where just about everyone on the server was working on that same castle, or did someone already finish that off on some other server? :D

I'm not really aiming for 20-40 people online for a year there, just maybe a handful of people for a few days until everyone gets bored again!

I'm sure we can do it if we just link a vanilla server, a modded server, another modded server with a different set of mods that someone else prefers, a Quake server, a Team Fortress server, ... we just need satisfy everyone's diverse and conflicting interests :D

To be serious though, I was wondering with our vanilla server if we scheduled some kind of build-a-thon event, or I just scheduled the upgrade to a new version, whether it might drag in a few people. By schedule, I mean work out who would even be interested and then try to pick a time that works for as many of us as possible.

Maybe we should load up the world from Theo's second server with the Towny nation(?) of "Zion" where just about everyone on the server was working on that same castle, or did someone already finish that off on some other server? :D

I'm not really aiming for 20-40 people online for a year there, just maybe a handful of people for a few days until everyone gets bored again!
The sad part about your joke at the beginning is that we had something like that once back when the server-listings existed but expecting woot to add a feature back is asking more than the launch posters.

Maybe small events like that would attract people again for a few days but unless they were scheduled then you could never bring many people back even at the numbers you are wishing. I'd like to think things aren't as dead as they seem but they likely are. As for bringing back older maps Gurw had a project for ages where he planned to link every available old map together into 1 and CSI had a server where you could teleport to older maps. Both were pretty awesome and CSI's brought me back for a few weeks to finish off some of my old projects. Something similar could be cool to get back a few people for a good time. Otherwise the dozen or so people I have playing and a good NPC mod helps recreate the experience of the old Towny servers pretty well and with enough trinkets to keep me more interested than vanilla.

Contact me via smoke signal or something if you ever want to try one of those events though.

The server I'm playing on occasionally has a few building events, which are all organized by players as well as mods. Plus they've got a UHC world that gets reset every month.

ah maybe a few people know me or possibility remember who I am. But I still lurk around the forums.

But I did enjoy the times I've played in classic.

Back