• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

A Tale

that_taco_guy

Recently I’ve felt something odd, something I thought I could never identify before, but in my internal debate, I've finally found the answer to my question.

It’s a feeling I would guess not many people experience. Most people grow up, live and die in the same place they were born, or at least the same country, same hemisphere, same general area. Most people live their lives without having to do the thing that I have done and sometimes regret.

Not everyone has to leave everything. Not everyone has to leave their past life and forge a new one with the little knowledge obtained from their short travels to a new place.

I’m one of the people who has.

I don’t use the phrase “had to” because, to be short, this was my decision. I made myself the way that I am and I regret it at times.

Some people may ask, “What are you talking about, Taco?” “What’s wrong?”

Back a few years ago, I moved to a country called Ecuador. It’s located near the Equator, in South America. We speak Spanish here, eat different foods and have a different management system than in the United States. Moving here, while annoying at first to learn the local slang, wasn’t much of a problem when we arrived. We had a place to stay and soon found a better apartment, one which I am living in and typing this blog post from now.

The reason for which we moved here is pretty simple, yet hard to understand. My mother was getting bored of the daily routine we had formed in the United States; we were doing the same thing day after day, year after year with no variation in our schedules. We saw one another briefly during the day, very little time spent in conversation. The only one worried about this was my mother, who seemed to care for me more than my father did. (Disclaimer: My father is a great man, and I do not wish to valor his efforts to raise me well less than my mother’s.) She wanted to live another life, live something new. She wanted to escape from the daily stresses of the world, but all the while doing something for people, to help the world.

Our family on my mother’s side is mostly Seventh Day Adventists, i.e. Christians who observe the Sabbath day as a holy day of rest and are expecting the advent of Jesus Christ. The idea formulated that we could become missionaries and work here, serving God Almighty in return for a better and simpler life.

The decision to come here rested on what I decided, after much debate between my parents.

I said “Yes.” At the time, I thought the idea was a great one; the idea of a new world made me gleeful and expectant of a new world…

How foolish of me, yes.

I’m Bilingual. I speak English and Spanish, raised learning both languages at the same time. I’m fluent in either and can think, speak, read, write and debate in either language with ease. I dominate the English language more than I can Spanish, though, so my primary language, the one I retreat to when trying to express sudden emotions or write a quick thought down is in English.

Here, everyone speaks Spanish(as mentioned earlier). I don’t like thinking or debating in Spanish, although I have to for my education and general socialization. This means that I cannot simply express myself normally; I have to express myself by translating my thoughts and feelings into another tongue.

Everyone also likes to play football (soccer) and other sports. Everyone here is generally fit and built at my age. We’re expected to lift heavy loads and be manly men. I don’t like sports and I’m a weak, pathetic chubby computer addict. The very little socialization I get is purely to talk about schoolwork, which, I can say from experience, gets boring quickly. While in the United States it’s widely acceptable to be a shut-in like myself, it’s not the norm here. I tend to avoid contact for this reason, makes my life less complicated.

My classmates here don’t worry about studying or schoolwork. They worry about life, liberty and the pursuit to buy another beer so that they can forget the last chemistry class they took. I, on the other hand, love learning and wish to devour entire books in days just to obtain the knowledge we have fought for thousands of years to develop and perfect. I tend to not hang out with anyone for this reason as well.

On the internet, mind you, it’s not that much of a different story. People are always talking about the latest technology and the faster internet speeds and how life is getting better. For me, life is simply getting worse.

Recently, I had a person whom I participate with in an RPG group criticize me for something I do a lot of: Pirating. I don’t have the money most of the time to purchase things and saving up money for games that cost too much compared to our budget here is trivial and would take years just to save up $50 for a game which would last me a few months. I torrent media. Piracy laws in this country aren’t enforced well, so we’re free to do whatever we want, most of the time. The accusation was towards how I was a horrible person for stealing money out of the wallet of the developers of video games, yet also saying that he didn’t care if I stole music or movies or not. I explained my situation; I clearly don’t have a way to pay for video games here, which I really do want to support the developers for. (Sidenote: We (my mother and I) did try to pay for a few games on Steam worth $15 collectively. The region coding on the games made it so that we couldn’t purchase the items here, in the Ecuadorian store, with a United States debit card. We tried multiple times. I felt defeated. I’m never trying it again. [But, sidesidenote: I did manage to purchase the latest PC and Android 8 Humble Bundle for $5 without it fussing. So, go DRM free content, eh?])

More and more people keep talking about how fast internet is and how horrible their speeds are and how life is so bad because they don’t have a perfect connection all of the time. My internet runs off of ADSL. We cannot even get cable internet here. It’s impossible. (No, not monetarily, just physically impossible. Nobody sells the service here. I think the phone company has a monopoly on this.) I’m used to my internet being slow and cutting out every so often. When people complain about a connection that rarely goes down going down for a few minutes to an hour, it really pisses me off to realize that they’re taking one of the things I appreciated about the US for granted.

On another, brief note, I’ve also been having trouble with my life… spiritually, as most would call it. I’m having trouble with the idea of God and science and all of that. Being a person who likes to analyze things, I’m having trouble with what I’ve been taught my entire life and what I’ve read and watched and learned in the past year. I have to lie about what I believe in, because, honestly, I don’t know what to believe in anymore.

But why am I typing all of these things? Why am I saying all of this? I’m rambling off to the heavens, for all I know.

I feel lonely.

I feel abandoned.

And the worst part is that it’s all my fault.

I chose to be here.

I said “Yes” to the idea of coming here and working as a missionary for a purpose which I don’t even want to believe in anymore.

I chose my fate.

When I left the United States, I left with the idea that I could come back and relive my life with the people I knew. But now, when I look back, I feel there’s something past that I can never reclaim. I will never feel whole again.

I left something in my travels. It’s been trampled upon and ripped to shreds and when I try to see the shards of my past, everything seems like it’ll never be the same.

In my rambling, I reach a conclusion:

I can never go back home.
I am alone.
And I don’t want to be.

Thank you for reading,
Much love,
Taco.

♥​

Dude. you're not alone. We're still here for you. Regardless the distance, we're still your friends/family members here at t9k. All you have to do is give me your mailing adress and i will send you 15 burgers and 25 orders of fries. :p <3 But seriously, as far as the Science vs. God Part; i've been in/still kind of am in that exact situation. If you want to talk about it in a convo, i'll be more than happy to; I know exactly what that feeling is about, moreso than i wish i did. but if you just want to talk it over, i'm always available, Like the Rest of T9K is.

<3 We're here for you.

I know how it feels leaving everything you know and love behind, It sucks, i suggest you return to us, when you can if you still want to, while maybe not returning to your old life, you'll be able to create a new one, yet in an environment that you know.
regarding the religious position you're in, I've kind of been there for the last few years, luckily I just don't bother taking any side, and live my life...
Anyways, best of luck to you taco, and we're all here for you :)

TACO!!! You will never be alone!!! You got a walrus here, ready to give you the blubbery-est hug in the world!! ♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥♡♥

I understand. It sucks, and if you ever want to talk, send me a message as I check the sight daily. As someone who has NEVER (I do not exaggerate this) lived in the same place for more than three years, I know what you mean, and I won't push you to talk. Hit me up if you want to talk though, I always have time for a friend.

Hey taco, I feel alone sometimes, and I pretty much was for the spring of 2013, and the only place I really found comfort was T9K, so I have no doubt in saying that we can help. Shoot me a message sometimes if you want to talk, but you don't have to. It'll be alright taco.

sir, always be mindful of what I have always said. T9k is a family, and just because we come from all over the world and are only connected to each other through the use of the internet, we are all still here for ya. I have always said, my inbox here is always open, you can reach me on FB chat, steam chat, and hell some of ya even have my cellphone number.

There are a lot of us here who have gone through some hard times and waged some difficult internal battles within themselves over a wide range of feelings and emotions and thankfully team9000 is a large network of people who truly do love and care about each member of this family and the same goes for you as well taco.

I may not be able to relate very well to your travels and move to another place, but I can for sure relate to you about your thoughts about the conflicts between science/logic and religion in general. To give a bit of background, I am the son of a Lutheran Pastor, raised in the faith, went to private independent baptist school, and...I am agnostic. It took me a while to come to the conclusion that I could no longer just accept what I was being told and I looked into it myself which led me down the same path you are on. Taco, if you ever want to talk to me about my experiences in "turning from the faith" as most would call it, you damn well know how to get hold of me and I am always happy to give a listen and share in a discussion. I know that there are so many others on this site that feel the same as well.

you truly are not alone and we love the fuck out of you sir.

Dear Taco,

I know how you feel on several fronts... Raised in a southern baptist church myself (In the north no less.) I turned away from these things, not just accepting what was fed to me. To do so I had to stay strong and really know what I believed. People will try to dissuade you. They'll tell you things about God and Faith. Just know that they think they're trying to help you. It's important to not get angry at them just for that purpose.

And to the other thing... I used to feel like that. Probably not as trapped as you do, as I didn't live in a tiny town in the mountains, but I know that I got out of that town. I now feel like I can go anywhere... and do anything. I do no something else... You're a smart dude. While there are things that may not be the best about being a smart dude right now... such as not exactly having the most friends, or other things of that nature, you have one distinct advantage as a smart dude. You can literally do whatever the fuck you want with your life. It might take some time, some drive, and some planning, but you're lucky enough to have the only tool you need to get yourself out of that situation... your mind. Don't lose it, and don't take it for granted. Analyze everything, figure out how you can escape. You can do it. We know you can. And if in the process you come to the conclusion that you're actually where you want to be, there's no shame in staying where you are. Small little mountain towns in South America need smart dudes too.

- <3 Crane

P.S. If all else fails, become a super Villain.

Back