AMV General Thread

Another oldie but great. The timing is to die for and the special effects are gorgeous.
Wow I remember this a shit long time ago, before I even knew hardly anything about the internet.

Just found the original update date: 3/14/2007

Damn.

Yup. For me to be a good AMV the video and audio need to feel like they belong together. I can't stand just music over chopped up scenes that have no connection.

The aot hype has been over and tbh most if not all amvs I've seen of it all suck cause the song used never fits. This one somehow made it work.
The thumbnail is a lie.

MadDesiresStudios makes probably all of my favorite mash-up AMV's.

If I may indulge myself and go on a critique/mini rant for a moment..
As a video editor who can tell pretty much whats happening in all this editing wise all I see is,
"maybe if I cover it with enough zooms, instagram color corrections and auto crops people wont notice it doesn't make any sense what so ever."

I admit it seems like a lot of work but when you have a "studios" channel make stuff you can have literally 20 (20 fucking people. Do you know how easy it is to edit 10 seconds of a clip when that's all you have to edit) people that know their way around AAE that can make something look incredibly complex that's actually very simple. Also, I never understood why every single one of these mep types from a "Studio" (there are many..many types of channels that make these) they always use some remix of current pop songs then make it high pitched.

That and the common instagram filter to make stuff seem like you did a lot to it rather then leaving a anime scene plain always irked me. Adding a effect to make it look different to complement a theme to a video in my opinion is fine but making every other scene another sepia/vignette/saturated/color corrected out the ass scene and that alone is where 50% of the editing goes to may impress most viewers but to an editor it almost bugs me. The other 50% is zooms and flashes and random pointless break downs with typography moments with stock/geometric shapes with a vignette on top of them.

There is no right way to edit these but there is a center etiquette and certain ways that amvs stuff like this can be edited and there is actual science to stuff that makes sense in a cinematic way to make something seem more well edited then most. And I'm not trying to be insulting or anything but this specific style always bugged me as just being lazy.

I've seen amvs edited in this style that did a lot of what these do but did it with a great deal of fine editing etiquette that it was done very well. I feel the people that edit these try to maintain some type of professionalism with their editing but realize making these are the kind that get "popular" amongst a target (tumblr) audience due to the anime they use (ecchi/drama/romance/yaoi) that is almost exclusively used in these.

That and as editing a full length 2:30 minute to nearly 4+ minute mv can take an extremely long time, when all you have to do is 10 seconds and you can over edit to as much as your afternoon allows you can make it look like a lot is done. If you try to take just 1 of these people to edit the whole 3:30 minutes or so with the style they used it would easily take them a few good months of editing. I'm not saying its undeserving of what praise it gets I'm just saying I find MEPS in a whole a lazy way to make these things especially when you have nearly 20 people working on it cause it just brings out a fragmented broken marginally flowing product but is overshadowed by the subject anime (yaoi/ecchi/slice of life), instagram filtered, fast paced zooming in and out the ass accompanied by the latest pop song makes the effort that can go into editing done by others overshadowed when your unintentional main goal is to appease a (for a lack of words) tumblr fan base.

Thing is mash up/mep amvs can be done without doing this, I just don't get why 90% of these have this specific style/trend to them

tl;dr: Flashy color corrected vids with pop songs don't make something as impressive as it really is (at least to someone who knows whats going into it all)

rant over

I may sound like a pompous ass in this post but it every time I see these it just bugs the hell out of me. Pls tell me how wrong I am.

If I may indulge myself and go on a critique/mini rant for a moment..
As a video editor who can tell pretty much whats happening in all this editing wise all I see is,
"maybe if I cover it with enough zooms, instagram color corrections and auto crops people wont notice it doesn't make any sense what so ever."

I admit it seems like a lot of work but when you have a "studios" channel make stuff you can have literally 20 (20 fucking people. Do you know how easy it is to edit 10 seconds of a clip when that's all you have to edit) people that know their way around AAE that can make something look incredibly complex that's actually very simple. Also, I never understood why every single one of these mep types from a "Studio" (there are many..many types of channels that make these) they always use some remix of current pop songs then make it high pitched.

That and the common instagram filter to make stuff seem like you did a lot to it rather then leaving a anime scene plain always irked me. Adding a effect to make it look different to complement a theme to a video in my opinion is fine but making every other scene another sepia/vignette/saturated/color corrected out the ass scene and that alone is where 50% of the editing goes to may impress most viewers but to an editor it almost bugs me. The other 50% is zooms and flashes and random pointless break downs with typography moments with stock/geometric shapes with a vignette on top of them.

There is no right way to edit these but there is a center etiquette and certain ways that amvs stuff like this can be edited and there is actual science to stuff that makes sense in a cinematic way to make something seem more well edited then most. And I'm not trying to be insulting or anything but this specific style always bugged me as just being lazy.

I've seen amvs edited in this style that did a lot of what these do but did it with a great deal of fine editing etiquette that it was done very well. I feel the people that edit these try to maintain some type of professionalism with their editing but realize making these are the kind that get "popular" amongst a target (tumblr) audience due to the anime they use (ecchi/drama/romance/yaoi) that is almost exclusively used in these.

That and as editing a full length 2:30 minute to nearly 4+ minute mv can take an extremely long time, when all you have to do is 10 seconds and you can over edit to as much as your afternoon allows you can make it look like a lot is done. If you try to take just 1 of these people to edit the whole 3:30 minutes or so with the style they used it would easily take them a few good months of editing. I'm not saying its undeserving of what praise it gets I'm just saying I find MEPS in a whole a lazy way to make these things especially when you have nearly 20 people working on it cause it just brings out a fragmented broken marginally flowing product but is overshadowed by the subject anime (yaoi/ecchi/slice of life), instagram filtered, fast paced zooming in and out the ass accompanied by the latest pop song makes the effort that can go into editing done by others overshadowed when your unintentional main goal is to appease a (for a lack of words) tumblr fan base.

Thing is mash up/mep amvs can be done without doing this, I just don't get why 90% of these have this specific style/trend to them

tl;dr: Flashy color corrected vids with pop songs don't make something as impressive as it really is (at least to someone who knows whats going into it all)

rant over

I may sound like a pompous ass in this post but it every time I see these it just bugs the hell out of me. Pls tell me how wrong I am.

Well I don't disagree with you, and I can see that it could very easily be defined as lazy and simplistic, because it is. However, I still enjoy it because I feel this "style" of AMV and editing works well when combined with the various pop songs and/or upbeat fast paced music. This is also why I like the slightly sped up and higher pitched versions of the pop songs that they sometimes use, that, and I also greatly enjoy Nightcore music as a whole. Nightcore is also a very lazy and simplistic type of music where you can in the most basic form of it just speed up and increase the pitch of the song. I still enjoy that though.

I enjoy the feel of these types of mash-up AMV's because I'm not watching them based on their workload or artistic merit or whatever other type of fancy word you would use to judge something with substance. Are any of these particularly my "favorite"? No. That's why I had a difficult time choosing one that stood out to me to post here. They are all fairly similar, and all have a fairly similar level of quality and "feel". A feel and quality that I happen to find appealing. I do agree with you that much of what is done here is lazy, but I suppose it doesn't really bother me because I'm not creating AMV's nor wishing that my own creations would suddenly become accepted and loved because of the greater amount of thought and effort put into them or something.

If you want another example of an AMV done in a similar style, that I feel is of a greater quality and entertainment then the previous I posted...

The song fits well, and having watched at least the first episode of the show, they made some minor, subtle, and not so subtle changes to color and different aesthetics to fit the pace and feel of the song. The "lazy" text flashing across the screen and burdensome white tiles that mar the screen seem to fit extraordinarily well. If you want to get really specific, the scene at 0:39 where she (actually a dude) jumps across the tops of the ladders in time with the song really attracted me.

The point is, you are completely right. And I would say most people would agree with you. The problem with popular things is that they are (usually) not liked because a great amount of effort or thought was put into them. While it irks me to think that I may like something that Tumblr would like, a great deal of the appeal coming from these lazily edited mashup amv's is to listen to a familiar song and enjoy what flashes in front of your eyes. Maybe you'll even see a show that you've seen, or are watching. How many could you name off the top of your head? That kinda thing I suppose.

EDIT: And just to clarify, not all of my favorite mash-up AMV's come from MDS. That was an exaggeration :p

Well I don't disagree with you, and I can see that it could very easily be defined as lazy and simplistic, because it is. However, I still enjoy it because I feel this "style" of AMV and editing works well when combined with the various pop songs and/or upbeat fast paced music. This is also why I like the slightly sped up and higher pitched versions of the pop songs that they sometimes use, that, and I also greatly enjoy Nightcore music as a whole. Nightcore is also a very lazy and simplistic type of music where you can in the most basic form of it just speed up and increase the pitch of the song. I still enjoy that though.

I enjoy the feel of these type of mash-up AMV's because I'm not watching them based on their workload or artistic merit or whatever other type of fancy word you would use to judge somthing with substance. Are any of these particularly my "favorite"? No. That's why I had a difficult time choosing one that stood out to me to post here. They are all fairly similar, and all have a fairly similar level of quality and "feel". A feel and quality that I happen to find appealing. I do agree with you that much of what is done here is lazy, but I suppose it doesn't really bother me because I'm not creating AMV's nor wishing that my own creations would suddenly become accepted and loved because of the greater amount of thought and effort put into them or something.
I as well am I nightcore fan and I see what you mean. I guess its also majorly based around my opinion as I have an extreme appreciation for amvs that have a MAJOR focus on timing and scenes with great relevance or even just a flow that that compliments the song without the aid of effects to form the flow. I mean that's how nearly all my only real amv went,

I guess that's where my biggest peeve goes to. On top of that I honestly couldn't see these particular songs being done any other way with what they are with the editing style done to them, I guess it just means I don't have quite a liking for them. Cause as an editor its almost a involuntary habit to see how its edited, what goes into it, how stuff was really done and due to knowing a lot of the ways the 2 main programs used for editing work I can tell how most of the effects are done and if they are done a certain way or not.

I do agree with you that much of what is done here is lazy, but I suppose it doesn't really bother me because I'm not creating AMV's nor wishing that my own creations would suddenly become accepted and loved because of the greater amount of thought and effort put into them or something.

In relation to this I wasn't saying that, I actually pointed out the acceptance was just a

unintentional main goal is to appease a (for a lack of words) tumblr fan base.
not that it was the only point.

If you want another example of an AMV done in a similar style, that I feel is of a greater quality and entertainment then the previous I posted...

The song fits well, and having watched at least the first episode of the show, they made some minor, subtle, and not so subtle changes to color and different aesthetics to fit the pace and feel of the song. The "lazy" text flashing across the screen and burdensome white tiles that mar the screen seem to fit extraordinarily well. If you want to get really specific, the scene at 0:39 where she (actually a dude) jumps across the tops of the ladders in time with the song really attracted me.

The point is, you are completely right. And I would say most people would agree with you. The problem with popular things is that they are (usually) not liked because a great amount of effort or thought was put into them. While it irks me to think that I may like something that Tumblr would like, I'm just a great deal of appeal coming from these lazily edited mashup amv's is to listen to a familiar song and enjoy what flashes in front of your eye. Maybe you'll even see a show that you've seen, or are watching. How many could you name off the top of your head? That kinda thing I suppose.
That amv does a style I have a major appreciation for. The type where there is such much cropping of scenes and fitting them into a different dimmension and telling a story all on its own. It may have a similar song style and color scheme/editing but in relation to the meps posted above this is nowhere near close to it. And its not even a MEP I think. Kinda confused why ya compared it to that. Also in relation to the typography, its very easy to do typography very badly and its very hard to do it well, that amv you just posted does it tremendously well. If its the style 2 things can do the same style but portray them extremely well and differently :p

And I see exactly what you're saying. It's just knowing exactly how much effort went into each one of the scenes in the mep always irked me every time I watched one of them, that and those types in themselves just aren't my taste.

Back