• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Bad server lag spikes today

Teircen

Been happening for a few hours now.

Boats keep exploding into planks and sticks. I've gone through about a dozen boats trying to cross one body of water.
Jungles are probably the worst. Trees won't load until you're trying to go through so you stand there (knowing there's a tree in front of you) and it won't load. so you try to cross, and it loads and you're stuck.

Been driving people to high tempers and frustration today.
Lots of deaths from people lagging off ledges, into mobs, and a whole lot of drownings today.

Lag is coming in spikes. Checking lag, the server shows at 100% then suddenly, down in the single digits and long lag spike. Then it comes and goes for a bit then is ok (briefly) then, wham, another lag spike. Not sure what's going on but the last reboot didn't seem to fix it either.

Whatever the problem or cause is, this is the first day i died to void due to server not loading at all after login. Huzzah.

Lag is getting a bit unbearable. Every minute or so, the environment (not the player) will freeze up for several seconds.

ok, i am in wall again, in spawn area of mining world. best place ever. not gonna log anytime soon i guess.

>.> Sorry for teh revival.

But the lag's still here, and I've seen a lot of people die due to the lag.
Someone died recently, lost a lot of stuff, said he died in lava...but there was no lava near him. He tried to go back again, died due to non-existent lava. I've really seen it in the chat, and the blocks. When you break blocks during the spike, you have to mine them again. It's the same situation when placing blocks.

Seems as is there are some known issues with Bukkit due to commits to disk - supposedly the current dev build (2322) helps a bit with it but some folks are still experiencing the issue. Some have noted success with moving to Java 7 and using the new garbage collection code (+UseG1GC) - note that this is server-side, not client.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/major-lag-issues-1-3-1.91283/page-2#post-1271828

Yep. Lag is pretty darn bad. The server also seems to randomly disconnect at times, either that or it randomly kicks people out. The lag is so bad, that it has kicked multiple people for "flying" or moving too fast, when all they were doing is walking around. But yeah, what Kagato said... seems to be a server-side issue. plox fix. kthnkxbai.

I add my voice.

All in great hopes for a solution for our beloved server.

Best of luck to the Wooty on his quest against the evil foe which infests our lands.

Apparently (according to kagato's link) the current version of bukkit has a bug where auto-saving is always turned on or something. I have an idea: if this is the case, and the true/false flag for autosaving does nothing, is there a way to at least increase the time between auto-saves for more than 1 minute? That way (if it works) we can at least enjoy the game until a less buggy version of bukkit comes out.

Edit: Apparently editing server.config and setting "snooper-enabled" (sends performance info back to Mojang) to false might help.

Apparently (according to kagato's link) the current version of bukkit has a bug where auto-saving is always turned on or something. I have an idea: if this is the case, and the true/false flag for autosaving does nothing, is there a way to at least increase the time between auto-saves for more than 1 minute? That way (if it works) we can at least enjoy the game until a less buggy version of bukkit comes out.

Edit: Apparently editing server.config and setting "snooper-enabled" (sends performance info back to Mojang) to false might help.
A lot of folks noted that Dev Build 2322 seemed to help ease up on a lot of the issues but didn't completely eliminate it, especially for higher traffic servers. From the notes of 2322, they did make periodic chunk saving less aggressive and fixed a bug where player data was saving twice per save. Looks like the Dev Build is now at 2327 so hopefully they've tweaked and fixed even more with it.

Nothing big but, I lost about 70 lilly pads. (kinda funny I know) what I did was place down 70 or so lilly pads then I logged out. when I logged back they were not there nor were they any where else. I think the chuck never saved.

Placing blocks is okay for me, but trying to destroy them afterwards, good luck. It also takes about nine seconds to open a chest. I actually counted. With a clock irl. I don't even want to know what mobs are like right now...

Placing blocks is okay for me, but trying to destroy them afterwards, good luck. It also takes about nine seconds to open a chest. I actually counted. With a clock irl. I don't even want to know what mobs are like right now...
Ever watch a stop-motion horror-action movie? That's what creepers are like.
"Oh, he's 50 blocks away, I'm fine."

*10 seconds later*

"Oh fuck."

*TheGurw exploded*

They are finally morphing into ender creepers.

"Oh no, I looked him in the eyes"
"Don't. Blink."
"Oh. I blinked, I couldn't hel..." BOOOM!

The server has been going offline due to the server crashing. Thought I'd add my voice to this as well and say that the server lag is making Team9000 survival unplayable, even in the sense of just joining the game because the server is constantly going offline.
Please woot, if there is something you can do about it, please check into it if you have a little bit of time.

cant play t9k survival..
tumblr_m7smsgAXxn1r1v9j4.gif

A lot of folks noted that Dev Build 2322 seemed to help ease up on a lot of the issues but didn't completely eliminate it, especially for higher traffic servers. From the notes of 2322, they did make periodic chunk saving less aggressive and fixed a bug where player data was saving twice per save. Looks like the Dev Build is now at 2327 so hopefully they've tweaked and fixed even more with it.

It was noted that having java 7.1 in use also helped.

Back