Cant tell if my art is good or needs improvment?

rsmv2you

So I tried to trace and draw my anime drawing of zexion to look more smooth and I need a opinion.
zaxion_drawing_by_brony2you-d4enrhk.jpg

Scan.jpg

Tell me what you think.
Oh and this is the complete version. :3
Scan.jpg

Hands! Try to learn to draw those, they are very difficult, and mastery of hands can make an amazing piece of work.

It is good but needs improvement.

Something I learned as a musician is no matter how good you think you are, you can always be better. Some guys get to the point to where they think they are bad ass and stop while others expand on their knowledge, technique and spectrum of styles/genres...

I believe the same is true with art. My best advice is to take professional lessons. I won't sit here and critique your work because I honestly can't do any better but if it is something you really like to do, get it down while you are young. It is hard to break the bad habits when you are older.

Perhaps it is just your style, but the Zexion you portray seems to be very reserved. I mean look how cute it looks, all shy and acting as if Xemnas is going to find out he was the one who stole the last cookie from the jar. x3

Ok, I'm no artist, but let's see what you can improve on. For starters the head size to hair volume ratio could use some work. Also the skinny neck indicates starvation. Are you feeding your Zexions well enough, Rsmv?

Comparing with the official image as referenced by the wiki, your Zexion could use some more confidence and action. Observe that Zexion's outstretched arm serves as a sort of focal point of action. Props are also good. The lexicon provides some extra character to Zexion, and the fact that its pages are midway through turning is an action focal point as well.

However, it seems your style is more geared towards emo. Try to think of some poses that the stereotypical emo tend to do. Off the top of my head, I picture Zexion with eyes closed and a hand covering a part of his stern face as if he is in deep emotional pain (lolwut Nobody) or just plain facepalming. This would make your drawing a little more exciting rather than reserved. Then again, I'm just making blind guesses as to what your style is.

Perhaps it is just your style, but the Zexion you portray seems to be very reserved. I mean look how cute it looks, all shy and acting as if Xemnas is going to find out he was the one who stole the last cookie from the jar. x3

Ok, I'm no artist, but let's see what you can improve on. For starters the head size to hair volume ratio could use some work. Also the skinny neck indicates starvation. Are you feeding your Zexions well enough, Rsmv?

Comparing with the official image as referenced by the wiki, your Zexion could use some more confidence and action. Observe that Zexion's outstretched arm serves as a sort of focal point of action. Props are also good. The lexicon provides some extra character to Zexion, and the fact that its pages are midway through turning is an action focal point as well.

However, it seems your style is more geared towards emo. Try to think of some poses that the stereotypical emo tend to do. Off the top of my head, I picture Zexion with eyes closed and a hand covering a part of his stern face as if he is in deep emotional pain (lolwut Nobody) or just plain facepalming. This would make your drawing a little more exciting rather than reserved. Then again, I'm just making blind guesses as to what your style is.
Zexion is portrayed fan art wise as "the emo" and usually emos are skinny and I portray the hair large naturally, its a habit. Also, this is the progress from the lineart to coloring.
Scan.jpg

-Dramatic gradation in the background is distracting.
-Smooth gradation contrasted with a cartoon character is distracting, try a more "cartoon" background.
-You got a lot of vertical lines on him so maybe some horizontal hard lines in the background ?
-Shading on the character is uniform however it is too reserved. Vivid hair color (not faded) and bright highlights,
unless you are going for a monotone sad aura.

proportions, sizes, whatever don't matter much considering the style of character. Overall good, minor distraction. Everyone gets better with practice, you will get bolder and less afraid to try new things like darker shading / more dramatic shading on the focus of the piece.

source: 10 years of art classes
2 of those years IB art classes
general interest and experience in "art" (watercolor, charcoal, graphite ( 8B - 2H ), conte crayon, limited experience in "Autodesk Maya" )

Instead of referencing the anime drawing directly, why not try using your own cosplay pics for reference. And to what GreenEarth said: starting with an anime style won't get you too far if you search improvement. It's not bad, but use other references too.

Instead of referencing the anime drawing directly, why not try using your own cosplay pics for reference. And to what GreenEarth said: starting with an anime style won't get you too far if you search improvement. It's not bad, but use other references too.
Hows this for a good start?
Scan34.jpg

Also this is the one I'm working off of.
Scan3.jpg

Back