• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Caves, ravines, and just dealing with the landscape.

Zennai

Hello ladies and mentlegen.

Our town of Sanctuary Fortress is growing faster now, and we are bound to expand. We reside in the tundra plains of the northeast, where mineshafts run under, dungeons are an easy find, and every cave leads to a bountiful search for ore.

The problem that comes with this is that there are quite a number of caves reaching the surface, as well as two very noticable ravines, within walking distance of the town center. These are inevitably in the way, but I believe others before us may have had this issue as well.

I was wondering, what is the usual solution? Build around them, or cover them and build over? (As well as any other ideas.)

Hello ladies and mentlegen.

Our town of Sanctuary Fortress is growing faster now, and we are bound to expand. We reside in the tundra plains of the northeast, where mineshafts run under, dungeons are an easy find, and every cave leads to a bountiful search for ore.

The problem that comes with this is that there are quite a number of caves reaching the surface, as well as two very noticable ravines, within walking distance of the town center. These are inevitably in the way, but I believe others before us may have had this issue as well.

I was wondering, what is the usual solution? Build around them, or cover them and build over? (As well as any other ideas.)
Usually people cover them over but make an alternate entrance to it from a more convenient location.

I like to embrace the natural landscape, rather than cover it up, so I like the idea of putting a fence around it and a bridge over it if required. I remember someone (not me) did this in Mooville on the 1.8-1.9 beta server.

I like to embrace the natural landscape, rather than cover it up, so I like the idea of putting a fence around it and a bridge over it if required. I remember someone (not me) did this in Mooville on the 1.8-1.9 beta server.
hmm..that's not a bad ideal. I usually cover it or don't bother with it. I may have to start doing that for now on.

I think we (Haven) have built around the ravines. We have a couple of tunnels that simply go over them and we make those sections out of glass if the view is remarkable.

Yeah, Mooville had a ravine(with fences, we didn't want anyone falling into it)

I like hearing what others have done. I'm thinking I'll just fill the caves, make staircases to the dungeons.

As for the two ravines, I'll relocate some hills. Maybe a layer of wood first, as a sign to say "Stop digging!"

Thanks for the ideas.

Building to the terrain is better than terraforming, always will be.

Ravines: Make a cliffside house, fence in what isn't protected by building.
Caves: Use it as a natural basement cellar, fill it in when you get far enough that you think it's sufficient.

Back