Cheers for the years

Tsysin

Inversely of a Hello is a farewell. I struggled with this conversation but feel I have to try to put my thoughts down in print. T9K is dying as a community or has been for a bit no matter what you may feel like saying. The usual response is ‘You’ll be back’ or ‘Tis merely a flesh wound’ or ‘Brains!’ (or something along those lines). The attrition rate is awful; anything you want to play (that is relevant to new games) is community based which means that particular game type is only as active as the admin (Big Thanks to @StTheo for stepping up on the MC stage for) ‘going on’ years now.

I mean no disrespect to Woot as this WAS a passion of his, where he grew and developed and learned a lot. But it’s clear that as he’s grown and matured with adult priorities that now demand more of his available free time that dictate that this is a much lower priority of which I’m sure even he can’t disagree.

I find myself challenged in the fact that I love the people and the community and the relationships we have had over the years, but in all honestly it only because of those relationships that we continue to be a community despite the lack of innovation over the years. An influx of new members will never happen, and we continue to slowly lose older members. Which eventually leads to nothing. As such I’m looking for greater exposure to other people, thoughts, and conversations.

Most of us use the PM feature to keep in touch, or Steam (or Origin, or what have you). T9K has stopped being relevant except for the occasional social contact outside of your immediate group of friends. I am now looking to seek a more active community (not saying that all of you who will read this message aren’t).

My hope is that we can still connect and play together, or interweb the groups etc. But this is my putting the rose on the T9K coffin as one of the longer hold outs. I will still check the board every so often but if you want to catch up look to find me on Steam.

I remember when T9k Minecraft first started to die, hell, even long before that point, someone made a comment to the effect of "It comes and goes in waves. First it was _____, we had a few people, gained some more, the novelty of the game died down, and a lot of people who were only here for that game left, with a few people with stronger ties to the community sticking around. Then it was _____, and the same thing happened. Now it's Minecraft Classic, and Beta. It's the largest member-gain we've seen, and when it eventually dies, we'll lose a lot of people. But a lot of people will stick around until the next big thing hits."

Those cycles apparently could be observed roughly in a year or two, from what I've gleaned. Unfortunately, Minecraft has been essentially been dead for three years, with little spikes of activity gradually petering out. It's been over four years since I've seen anything approaching the numbers we had during the first Beta server, 80+ people at peak times and there was almost always at least 10 players online at any given time. That's all well and good, and I accept that people move on. But again, the community is losing interest in the scraggly ties we still have, and nothing unifying has appeared again to revitalize our interest in the community.

What you're saying here (check the board every so often but not really contribute) has been true for me for several months. I'm not saying goodbye yet, and I still hold out hope that eventually something will appear and Woot will gain interest again, and T9k will once again flourish...but it's a fading hope.

I don't know why anyone would be waiting for something to happen. If you want to read up on anything that's been posted, then feel free to stop by time time to time, otherwise don't. There's no obligation for any of us to be here, and I have no obligation to try and "turn this community around."

This site has always been my playground for new projects, and I don't really feel obliged to make it anything more than that.

I don't know why anyone would be waiting for something to happen. If you want to read up on anything that's been posted, then feel free to stop by time time to time, otherwise don't. There's no obligation for any of us to be here, and I have no obligation to try and "turn this community around."

This site has always been my playground for new projects, and I don't really feel obliged to make it anything more than that.

I agree with this, and I've noticed you have very intentionally placed yourself in this position of non-obligation to the community. Not accepting donations, not putting up advertisements, and providing new things to test out and play around with for fun. Keeping a fairly hands off approach to things. This may sound like I'm trying to make you look bad or something, but that isn't true at all! Based off of what you've said, this was just the right way to run the place. I've rarely if ever spoken directly to you, but you made this place pretty cool without being a tryhard, so :thumbsup: for what it's worth.

I think TheGurw is being a bit dramatic, far more dramatic than T9K deserves. We have our fun, but it isn't up to Woot to make or break anything (although that break part kinda goes without saying ;)). Regardless, I've enjoyed my time here, and I hang out on the forums and talk with people with similar interests to mine, and just chill out usually. I was really active for a long time, then I lost the spark, or I started to feel a bit silly, I'm not sure. I chilled out a bit and found that I do like this place, even though I disagree with 90% of what everyone here says. But hey, you don't pick your friends I guess? Not that many here know me well anymore, and vice versa. But that's also okay! There's nothing to worry about or get worked up over. I strayed away from mumble usually because I didn't feel like I fit with much of the inside jokes, and IRL relationships many of the older members had, but I just found some other people to talk with and whatever.

I had considered "leaving" T9K formally before, but I don't really see the point in making it a big deal. It just happens, there are people who I follow who just up and left. And when it comes down to it, whether it be habit or actual enjoyment, T9K has been the first tab I open whenever I boot up my computer for years now. So yeah, there we go, I joined the tl;dr chain. Last person to write under a paragraph has to make a new community!

Last edited:
I strayed away from mumble usually because I didn't feel like I fit with much of the inside jokes, and IRL relationships many of the older members had, but I just found some other people to talk with and whatever.

This is how I felt when Classic was around and I would go on Mumble, that it was everyone doing there own thing with their friends. Nothing wrong, however it gets especially worse when the chat rooms are either empty or >18 to enter.

Last edited:
I'll never truly be able to "leave" this site, and as someone who has posted perhaps 30 times in all my time here, (I just checked, apparently its 101, who knew?) I don't think it would matter either way, but I've been lurking in these forums for 4 years. That's 4 years I've had this set up as one of my multiple home pages. 4 years of never knowing what random thing I will find dredged up from the corners of the internet, or what wonderful thing one of our members had recently created. A random classic server selection 4 years ago changed my life in more ways than I could have ever imagined. I've "met" wonderful people from all over the globe, and without this site I wouldn't be happily married right now (yes, yes, not a dating site, I know) going on my second year, and Cthulhu willing, about to be a father in 7 months. Some days, there may only be one, maybe two new forum posts, if any at all, but I still check every time I open up my browser. And ill keep checking, and keep finding new cool and interesting things to try out/wonder about. And if some day there is a new big game craze, and we get a huge surge of a player base, well I'll be right there along side of them, but if that never happens, I'll still be lurking.

Last edited:
Same situation as well, I've retired Game Nights for the most part (atleast the ones I host) for many RL reasons. As well as it just seems like a lot of people were still relying on an 'approval' of Woot or him atleast showing up for the GN to be 'successful'.... I mean it was rather discouraging that this happened on many occasions... Anyways RL stuff aside, the gaming industry has been in kind of a toss up recently for 'good games' or atleast games that everyone can afford and become a big hit like minecraft was. Yes yes, there will be the Fallout 4 people when that releases, but it's still a game that will be out of some people's budget, as well as other things.

Honestly I would like it if people would still hangout on mumble, I mean you're online and just browsing the internet, how hard is it to talk with others that could have similar interest in news/games/etc. and have that ol joined conversations on stuff...

I'll have to agree with Skyrter up there, T9k has been a huge part of my adolescent development all throughout my near four years here (fuck, it's been that long?). I learned how to not be socially awkward (at least, not that awkward) around new people, or people I would be nervous to talk to. You guys really made a good 2-3 years great for me. T9K was a place I could always come to for a laugh when I needed it. At least until I started more lurking than posting, I have always felt at home here. I've pretty much left, as I lurk less and less, but I will never forget the memories I have of this wonderful slice of internet we have. I doubt I could have it in me to just flat out leave, but this might as well just be a last hurrah for me (maybe even as far as a last post), as most of the people I have experienced life with are gone, maintaining their own life (as well as I have). I dont know who I'd be without this place, but all I can say is, thanks for everything guys.

Fuck it, I ain't leaving until wooty stops hosting this shit or sells the domain, until then, I'm gonna just do what I've always done, just hop on here and have some giggle m80.

I'd have to say I still lurk I suppose, I came back hoping there was a change but I found something I wasn't looking for which was inactivity. No matter. This definitely was the community that changed my life, It was like my first start on the internet, Meeting people, friendly faces, getting banned, It was great. Every spark I see just go outs after time, guess from people making lives, and enjoying life. I am definitely not as active as I was anymore. I left I think a year ago over depression but I came back, I can't remember when. My point is I won't forget about this community, guys and girls and ponies changed a lot for me, and I will never forget that. I'll always be here even if it seems like I'm never around. I'm trying to also stay active on Steam, so if you want to add me on Steam its DispicingTurtle or TheBoxTurtle.

Other from that love you guys always,
~Filter

Last edited:
I'm still here, technically, and after having had the T9k's unofficial Official Wedding, I'm now having T9k's unofficial Official Baby... and if PAX East with the group is still a thing in 2017, I'll most likely be there.

I've been here for 4 years now, or at least it will be on September 14th, and I'm not going anywhere. I may not be super active, and most people I chatted with, I now do so on Facebook, but this is my home and family, and I'm here to stay.

Now, all hail my obnoxious run-on sentences, for I make them out of love! <3

Yeahhhh i'm still around; for those who have me on th steam engine or the book of faces and such you can reach me there, but if you ever feel like talking to me, just send me a message in a convo haha, i'll get it

Whatever force drove me to join t9k, won't let me leave, so I'm gonna be here for a while. :p

I'm curious as to the cause of Wooty's spike in activity on these forums these past couple of weeks.
For whatever reason, community-making seems to have spiked with it.

There might be some merit to Tsysin's admin-server activity correlation theory.

You know, I've only been checking T9k like once a week for the past few months, and even then, I haven't actually been commenting...

I've kind of been expecting someone to make a thread exactly like this. I don't really know if there's anything we can do to bring new members and such; I guess I'll see you guys on Steam. T9k will forever bring back the nostalgia of Minecraft Classic and Beta. I shall never forget the spleef arenas, nor the mindless hours I spent digging tunnels from one side of a world to the other.

Someone come play Path Of Exile with me. I'm on it regularly and have no plans to stop. Or if anyone plays any other online games actively (except for CS and TF2 which I am incapable of being interested in for some reason no matter how hard I try)

Back