Computer Question(s)

bbgunshot

So I had my computer built around August/September of last year. The specs are

Intel Pentium 4 550 3.4GHZ LGA775 Cpu Processor

2GB DDR2 Single Memory Chip PC2 6400

250GB Serial Ata Sata 7200RPM Hard Drive

I use windows XP (I will be upgrading this eventually. I'm simply lazy and don't want to have to uninstall everything, then reinstall everything. I have considered using parallels but don't know much about partitioning my Hard drive. I could also use help on this matter)

I have tried multiple times to upgrade my RAM to at least 4 gigs. I tried first with 2 separate 2 gig sticks of DDR2 ram and they wern't compatible (even though they were the same speed.) I then tried again with 2 identical sticks of Kingston RAM. This also didn't work.

After my second try I figured out (what I think might be) the problem. My Nvidia GeForce 210 graphics card didn't like the ram. It is possible that the ram was over 1024mb of speed, but I didn't think it was. If my memory is correct my computer only recognized 3 gigs of ram and my background and everything was all screwed up because of my graphics card.

I was hoping for some suggestions or help with this problem so I might be able to improve my computers amount of RAM. And upgrade to Windows 7.

TL;DR? Don't have any constructive advice? Then don't bother posting here. Just go away please.

1.) Why were you building a p4 machine a YEAR ago?!
2.) You're RAM is only showing 3 gigs because you're using 32bit windows xp. 64bit windows vista or 7 would recognize the memory.
3.) Throw that computer away and buy a better one.
4.) I have never heard of ram conflicting with a video card. I don't think that's possible.
5.) 1024MB is not a speed.
6.) IN b4 jerzey rant.

Short-term solution -> Install Win7 64x. 32x XP is... slow to say the least.

Long-term solution -> Build a new PC. This one sounds like :poop:

Yeah it is. People round it down to 1 GB for some reason.

The specs are

I hope you didn't spend a whole lot on that. It is pretty obsolete nowadays. Also what is going on is your chipset is only compatible with a max of 2 gigs of RAM. This is causing your video problems. 2 gigs is all you are going to be able to run.

I hate to say it but the only real solution is to just buy a new computer if you are wanting to do hardcore gaming.

Yeah it is. People round it down to 1 GB for some reason.

I hope you didn't spend a whole lot on that. It is pretty obsolete nowadays. Also what is going on is your chipset is only compatible with a max of 2 gigs of RAM. This is causing your video problems. 2 gigs is all you are going to be able to run.

I hate to say it but the only real solution is to just buy a new computer if you are wanting to do hardcore gaming.

No. I didn't spend a whole lot on it. I'm cheap. I know it's obsolete technology. But new tech costs $$$

Short-term solution -> Install Win7 64x. 32x XP is... slow to say the least.

Long-term solution -> Build a new PC. This one sounds like :poop:

Yes. I know it's not very good. I don't have a spare $1000 for a good one though.

BTW windows 7 x64 is just going to add a bunch of overhead. If you can't run any more RAM I wouldn't upgrade operating system.

Save up enough money to buy a rig that is SCALABLE meaning you don't spend a bunch at first but you can expend to some of the higher end stuff later.

Get a motherboard with an LGA 1155 socket and put an i3 processor in it at first. You can eventually upgrade to an i7. Also make sure you have a couple of full PCIe slots (the "e" is important). The RAM shouldn't matter at first as long as you get a 64 bit operating system.

Like I had said your current setup won't be able to handle much more. Save up a little cash and it will be worth it.

BTW windows 7 x64 is just going to add a bunch of overhead. If you can't run any more RAM I wouldn't upgrade operating system.

Save up enough money to buy a rig that is SCALABLE meaning you don't spend a bunch at first but you can expend to some of the higher end stuff later.

Get a motherboard with an LGA 1155 socket and put an i3 processor in it at first. You can eventually upgrade to an i7. Also make sure you have a couple of full PCIe slots (the "e" is important). The RAM shouldn't matter at first as long as you get a 64 bit operating system.

Like I had said your current setup won't be able to handle much more. Save up a little cash and it will be worth it.

Thank you. I'll try updating to Windows 7 sometime and see how that works. I don't expect my computer getting much better, I just want to be able to run most games.

1.) Why were you building a p4 machine a YEAR ago?!
2.) You're RAM is only showing 3 gigs because you're using 32bit windows xp. 64bit windows vista or 7 would recognize the memory.
3.) Throw that computer away and buy a better one.
4.) I have never heard of ram conflicting with a video card. I don't think that's possible.
6.) IN b4 jerzey rant.

:confused: I love you crane. +1 everything crane said.

Back