Computer Security

Skryter

I've just purchased a refurbished ASUS laptop running Windows 8 for my sister as of a few hours ago with McAfee pre-installed. I'm not really a fan of McAfee, so can anyone recommend me alternative anti-virus software. Avast would be my first choice, however my old laptop suffered multiple BSOD's due to issues with the software so I'm unsure wether I should use Avast once again.

Cheers in advance .

I'd recommend Norton.
It's worth every cent and you'll have absolutely no problems with virus', since it blocks any suspicious looking files or downloads and if you enter a website that's pretty much a virus farm, it gives you the option of closing the window or continuing. Saves you from naughty pop-ups that you don't want.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with these virus things you Windows users keep talking about.

:D
bless mac's for that amazing ability.
though I do know some guy/idiot who managed to get a virus on one of the TAFE's Mac's and then put it on the share-drive which crashed all 200+ Mac's in the building.

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with these virus things you Windows users keep talking about.

:D
Yeaaahh you should still have an anti-virus program.

You're not any more secure, it's just that most viruses are meant for Windows.

Viruses don't make themselves known anymore. You could end up with your Mac part of a bot net if you don't do anything.

Windows defender/Microsoft Security Essentials. Entirely free, made by Microsoft. Plus Malwarebytes.

Windows defender/Microsoft Security Essentials. Entirely free, made by Microsoft. Plus Malwarebytes.
All this plus Avast. Who needs to spend money on antivirus when you have 9000 different ones that all combine to serve the functions of 1.

All this plus Avast. Who needs to spend money on antivirus when you have 9000 different ones that all combine to serve the functions of 1.
It's actually a horrible idea to install more than one anti-virus on one computer. Malwarebytes isn't an anti-virus, so it's okay to put it along with one.

Avast is the best free one in my opinion. Avira is very good at it's job, but it's spammy. It constantly makes you feel in danger with news on 0 day releases and how you should buy it to protect yourself, but it already is.

Malwarebyte's AntiMalware is a good once a week, or once a month run, also alongside SuperAntiSpyware.

Defender/MSE works too. Although it's too quiet for my liking.

I'd recommend Norton.
It's worth every cent and you'll have absolutely no problems with virus', since it blocks any suspicious looking files or downloads and if you enter a website that's pretty much a virus farm, it gives you the option of closing the window or continuing. Saves you from naughty pop-ups that you don't want.
Ew. No. Never. Do what Jerzey said.

Norton is a good program but it does use alot of memroy, So if u have a computer with less than 2gigs of memory,Then it will lag your computer. But with a computer with pleanty of memory I think it is well worth paying for a subcription

Not sure if norton is good these days or not, but it certainly was horrible back when I worked as a comp tech. It only seemed capable of detecting|removing the minor threats from our customer's computers at the time, while other programs were able to clean off a lot more.

Avast is pretty decent, and you don't have to worry about any popup messages if you keep it running in game mode. You'd probably also want Malawarebytes if you're not that great of avoiding things on the web and need to do cleaning constantly.

Avast thinks Mumble9000 is a threat... just sayin

Really? I've got Avast on my laptop and Mumble9000. I know I used Mumble on there a month ago or so and Avast didn't do/say anything about it. It keeps bugging me to upgrade, but I may switch it to game mode like damashki suggested.

Really? I've got Avast on my laptop and Mumble9000. I know I used Mumble on there a month ago or so and Avast didn't do/say anything about it. It keeps bugging me to upgrade, but I may switch it to game mode like damashki suggested.
It just did it to Jiy today for the first time.

Here is a monthly comparison report of AV software: http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php sort it by value to get a better picture.

Notice Norton is not on the list. It's terrible, resource hungry, and it's ecosystem is fragmented, requiring different software for almost every aspect of it's job. The less red on the bar, the better, and it even looks like Avast didn't do that well this month. However, it serves it's purpose.

While Avira is #1, it is spammy like I said, and it also uses up massive resources when it's scanning. So have a strong computer, or plan to do nothing while it's scanning. It also gives you messages like "McFar Virus infects your PC by injecting it's penis in your FDD. Purchase Pro today to be protected from STDs." You sit there feeling unprotected, and the popup is huge, so I rage quit it. Also it's advertisement popup process uses massive RAM.

I haven't tried anything in between Avira and Avast except AVG, and I haven't used AVG since 2010.

McAfee may start getting better under Intel's wing, but Norton is always terrible, and most virus clean ups I have to do involve already having Norton, active or not.

Back