DVD Ripping

moondoggy23

I'm looking into starting to rip my DVDs and Blu-Rays to my home NAS so I can stream them to any network-connected device in my house. I've done some looking around, and found this site that lists 5 DVD ripping tools for use. I'm thinking about just DLing each one and giving it a shot with a movie and then determining which I like best and going with it. I was wondering if there may be any other ripping software out there that you would recommend over any of these. I was also looking for any tips/suggestions you may have about ripping DVDs.

NOTE: I am not intending to seed these or make profit off of this in any manner, and talking about pirating on this site is against the rules, so let's try to keep away from that.

Ripbot and Handbrake are pretty nice programs, so you could give those two a try. I've tried MakeMKV before, and the file sizes tend to be a bit larger, though that might just be me using the program incorrectly or something.

I happened to buy AnyDVD HD back when the lifetime licenses were cheap(er). I haven't tried many others, but it's yet to fail to rip any disk I've thrown at it, dvd or bluray.

Install VLC and then Handbreak. I then use Subler to add metadata and to convert the subs. That setup is what I use to stick DVDs on my iPod and home media server and it produces the best DVD rips that are a reasonable size that I have seen.

A important legal note, You should ONLY rip DVDs that you OWN and you should destroy all copies of the rip if you get rid of or sell the DVD. Also do not distribute the rip.

Install VLC and then Handbreak. I then use Subler to add metadata and to convert the subs. That setup is what I use to stick DVDs on my iPod and home media server and it produces the best DVD rips that are a reasonable size that I have seen.

A important legal note, You should ONLY rip DVDs that you OWN and you should destroy all copies of the rip if you get rid of or sell the DVD. Also do not distribute the rip.
We used to order Netflix (before streaming was cool) and rip all the movies. Now at my house we have 3 bookshelves of dvds.

Because I said I used legal "Protection" does not mean you or the forum has legal "Protection". Please don't spread legal infections around here.

Welp, better not mention to you that I sneakily nab off of the internet a lot of my movies and that all of the movies we buy here from street vendors (and not-so-legit movie stores) in Ecuador are all illegal rips.

oh, shit, wait

We used to order Netflix (before streaming was cool) and rip all the movies. Now at my house we have 3 bookshelves of dvds.
Welp, better not mention to you that I torrent half of my movies and that all of the movies we buy here from street vendors (and not-so-legit movie stores) in Ecuador are all illegal rips.

oh, shit, wait

Cute, but not helpful.

I'm running into some trouble with several of the DVDs since they're encrypted. I'm using VLC right now and I'm streaming one of the DVDs to a file I've made, but I don't think it's working.

I've had a some experience with handbrake and found it to work quite well. I've personally ripped my entire library. If your disc gets too scratched it's good to have a legal copy so you can replace the scratched one, just hold onto it if anyone wants to question you about it. This way it's all nice and legal like. Once you have digital copies you can do a lot more with them though. My wife and I love to watch them on our blu-ray play via an external, and you can do so on quite a few devices. Also for those pesky ones that you can't quite get, I've asked around and it's a bit of a gray area, but you can technically download the rip of it, being as you own the original it just saves you a bit of time, and thus you can potentially get over shortcomings or get higher definition rips than what you can figure out how to do yourself. Just thought I'd mention that aspect as it saved me a time or two. Also pay close attention to your library if any are scratched too badly/deeply it might cause the digital copy to have some issues, or be unable to create a rip of it which further shows why a download comes in handy. So that in the middle of Transformers, you don't have a glitch/lag/jumped pixel, because of some kids that have over watched it, this way your digital is 100% and you can truly enjoy it again. :-D

Cute, but not helpful.

I'm running into some trouble with several of the DVDs since they're encrypted. I'm using VLC right now and I'm streaming one of the DVDs to a file I've made, but I don't think it's working.

Handbreak will decrypt with VLC automatically if VLC is installed. It takes a while to decrypt (About 7 mins on my MacBook) but I have yet to find a disk that can't be read.

Ripping with Handbreak is way easer then streaming to a file in VLC.

Handbreak will decrypt with VLC automatically if VLC is installed. It takes a while to decrypt (About 7 mins on my MacBook) but I have yet to find a disk that can't be read.

Ripping with Handbreak is way easer then streaming to a file in VLC.

I'm a novice (at best) with this, I'll try that tonight and see how that works. I've been trying to alternate between the two programs rather than accessing one through the other. I was using VLC yesterday to try to decrypt the DVD and it didn't do it and handbrake kept telling me it was an encrypted disk so it wouldn't work. I gave up on it after a little bit.

I was using VLC yesterday to try to decrypt the DVD and it didn't do it and handbrake kept telling me it was an encrypted disk so it wouldn't work. I gave up on it after a little bit.

For Handbreak with VLC 2.0+ on Mac OS X you need to install libdvdcss manually. You can get this library go here and download and install libdvdcss.pkg.

If you are on windows I can learn how to install libdvdcss manually on windows and then post how here.

I've not had an opportunity to keep working on this for the past couple of weeks. I might be able to get around to it this weekend, hopefully the suggestions will help, I'll let you know. Thanks!

Back