• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Exiting a minecart frequently causes instant death

DOS622

I filed a ticket for this, but be aware: quite a number of people have been killed when exiting their minecarts today, so be careful! Of course it isn't so bad if you die when you're getting out of your minecart after arriving at spawn, because you can quickly go and pick your stuff up. In the other direction, you might be in trouble if you're a long way from spawn, especially if you die again when you try to retrieve your stuff!

Wondering if I will ever use that rail I almost finished building two days ago :)

Found it, and it looks like I was right, we are taking fall damage - https://mojang.atlassian.net/i#browse/MC-11784

"If you take a minecart from A to B with same height between departure and arrival : no problem.
If you take a minecart from A to B where A is bedrock level and B above ground (example) : no problem.
If you take a minecart from A to B where A is above ground and B is placed deeply enough (difference between blocks) that the drop would kill you : it DOES kill you to exit the minecart.
Death can be avoided by wearing diamond armor + featherfall boots."

Essentially the short-fix looks to be to make sure your A and B points fall at similar Y co-ordinates, or that B is above A.

Kagato why not just have everyone make sure that their railway let's out at the same height level as where you entered it. Just an idea but this could temporarily fix the problem. I know I died from it this morning myself and didn't know wtf happened...

Kagato why not just have everyone make sure that their railway let's out at the same height level as where you entered it. Just an idea but this could temporarily fix the problem. I know I died from it this morning myself and didn't know wtf happened...

I think he kind of just did tell you how to fix it, brah.

Kagato why not just have everyone make sure that their railway let's out at the same height level as where you entered it.
For those with lines running to spawn, there's no real way to fix it in that manner.

moon the point is that not everyone can get diamon/featherfall combo... and kag, for those running from/to spawn they can just remove a rail, and drop a temporary stop block until it's fixed. Granted they'll have to run the rest of the way, but still an option...

I laugh gur because I believe you. The only issue is that railways are, well sorry were, safer for me personally because of my internet and the glitch potential...

Given that there's been no bug report mentioned on Bukkit's site, and I should have known it wouldn't be a vanilla bug with MC since it is a recent occurence, I'll submit the info on the Spigot forums this evening. Will test is on my box when I get home this evening just to ensure I don't loose any items and can pull any helpful log info pertaining to the death.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread --

For us to upgrade to 1.5, I need a list of new items which need restricted / blocked, as well as a list of redstone items which can trigger a redstone state change (to implement as allowable triggers in our redstone abuse prevention code).

For us to upgrade to 1.5, I need a list of new items which need restricted / blocked, as well as a list of redstone items which can trigger a redstone state change (to implement as allowable triggers in our redstone abuse prevention code).

Redstone:

Redstone Blocks (they're like redstone torches)
Dropper
Activator Rail
Redstone Comparator
Trapped Chest
Daylight Sensor
Hopper
Minecart with Hopper
Minecart with Spawner Entity
Minecart with TNT
Weighted Pressure Plate

Old items updated to emit a signal (with comparator):

Brewing Stand
Chest
Detector Rail
Dispenser
Jukebox

Nothing needs to be limited or blocked, as far as I can tell from the list on the wiki of new items, other than the Hopper... maybe. With regard to LTS though, those restrictions are probably not necessary; however, you should probably test to see if logs are created when a hopper is used to remove items from chests.

How much have redstone restrictions been reduced since the update?

Pretty much what Allimon said. Haven't seen anybody else discuss it yet, but I'd agree Hopper might be the one thing that could possibly be blocked. It's function is kind of cool, but really it's just having your cake and eating it too. Effectively you can throw stuff on it and it will move the item(s) to a connected chest/storage. Beyond being a nicety, I don't know if there's really an purposeful use? So long as you keep throwing stuff on it, it would essentially be a continuously running redstone device.

As far as back to the minecart deaths, I'm not able to recreate it on my test box running Spigot. Are we running dev builds of NCP? Just curious as I had seen some discussion with minecart related issues that were resolved by running some of the newest dev builds.

I was just thinking about the whole hopper thing. Really the only use I would truly want the hopper for is connecting a furnace to a chest so that I can auto furnace things. Just my opinion... Honestly I can do without it, or I can do with it. It doesn't really affect me either way, it's just something nice to have.

I would restrict the redstone output of hoppers rather than restrict the hoppers themselves.

I was looking forward to using hoppers so I could make a water conveyer belt between two buildings and transfer heaps of stuff from one to the other and have it end up in a chest at the other end. The furnace thing would be excellent too, just so I could throw stuff into a furnace from a distance, not because I want to make some loop where it keeps adding more stuff.

I was looking forward to using hoppers so I could make a water conveyer belt between two buildings and transfer heaps of stuff from one to the other and have it end up in a chest at the other end. The furnace thing would be excellent too, just so I could throw stuff into a furnace from a distance, not because I want to make some loop where it keeps adding more stuff.
Hoppers would be useful in this sense, as they could make long-distance mass-item transport water conveyors viable (set up a hopper every 100 blocks along the conveyor, follow the mass of items as they float along to avoid de-spawning, carry it on in your own imagination).

Back