f.lux, a program for the insomniac

Anaxo

So whilst searching for remedies for my horrible sleeping schedule, I stumbled across this interesting program which is designed to help those who spend alot of their time on the computer get to sleep easier. It's called f.lux, it essentially changes the color of your monitor(s) based on the time of day. I found it pretty cool, I've already installed it and I'm going to give it a test run for a good week. I spend way too much time on the computer and it also happens that I'm just bad at sleeping I guess.

You can read up on and download it here :
https://justgetflux.com/

It definitely makes the colors more mellow, it almost puts an orange-ish tint on the screen, but I find the screen easier to look at. flux also has an option to slowly adjust the screen to the softer color at night over the course of 20 seconds or an hour. There are also options to customize the darkness, if you so wish. You can also just turn off the filter if you need to do some color sensitive work at night, so yeah, there's that.

So yeah, I'll see how it goes and whether or not I like this program. Let me know what you think.

I have been using f.lux since last month, and now I barely notice I even have it installed. Also, I've been actually getting tired at night so I can tell it's working. And just so I don't get distracted on my phone and ruin everything, I have something similar installed on it called Twilight.

I just put down the phone and move away from the computer an hour before I want to go to sleep. It's like magic.

Wow this is great! My eyes feel much more relaxed when staring at the computer screen for several hours. :D

I just put down the phone and move away from the computer an hour before I want to go to sleep. It's like magic.

One does not simply part from his/her technological devices (except under certain circumstances) so easily. x3

Wow this is great! My eyes feel much more relaxed when staring at the computer screen for several hours. :D

One does not simply part from his/her technological devices (except under certain circumstances) so easily. x3
My circumstances include "I'm getting tired."

Any physiologically and/or intellectually complex creatures (e.g. humans) that mutate to not need sleep tend to promptly destroy their brains with 941-hour Daffy Duck marathons and thus are unable to pass their traits on to the next generation. :p

I've been using flux for a few years now. I thought it was pretty well known, but recently I've seen a lot of people bringing it up. Its weird to see buzz for something that I thought was already popular as all of my friends and I already use it x.x

Explain why humans need sleep in a way that satisfies the question "why haven't we - or any other mammals, or pretty much any other animal - evolved a less dangerous way to allow our brains and bodies to recuperate than going unconscious for roughly a third of our lives?" and you gain the right to call me weak.

I sleep less than you, pansy.
Err... Stronk.

Explain why humans need sleep in a way that satisfies the question "why haven't we - or any other mammals, or pretty much any other animal - evolved a less dangerous way to allow our brains and bodies to recuperate than going unconscious for roughly a third of our lives?" and you gain the right to call me weak.

I sleep less than you, pansy.
I'm just messing with you, I'm a lazy motherfucker and I sleep way more than I should. 8)

Back