first game you loved

I didn't get into consoles until around 2000. First PC game though?

Pajama_Sam_Box_Art.png
Even better:

Putt-Putt Enters the Race (1998)
putt putt race.jpg

Putt-Putt Travels Through Time (1997)
putt putt time.jpg

Or the oldest one, Putt-Putt Joins the Parade (1992)
putt putt parade.jpg

Resurrecting this thread to bring you my first and favorite video game (maybe tied with Pokémon Yellow, but this one gets my "my first video game" bias).

Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg

Donkey Kong '94 (actually just "Donkey Kong," the '94 makes it easier to distinguish) is a 2d platformer/puzzle game from 1994 for the original GameBoy. It's actually one of the first games made for the Super GameBoy, an attachment for the NES, that gave the game an arcade style border and color palette that was more expansive than the original GameBoy's 4 colors (unfortunately Nintendo chose not to use the expanded color palette for the 3ds port of it :(). You play as Mario, and the game starts with the first four levels of the classic arcade Donkey Kong, then proceeding 9 stages with 96 levels as you chase down Donkey Kong in order to save your love interest, Paulina. This game is my favorite because of a wonderful mix of creative levels, Mario's expansive moveset, and some absolutely beautiful 8-bit music.

The game's mechanics are wonderful - some levels have tiles that let you build temporary bridges/ladders/trampolines/blocks, some have levers that control things like the direction of moving platforms or extendable bridges, some have ice walls that can only be melted by the classic fireball enemies, some have disintegrating floors, some have vines to climb up and down (or animals whose tails act as vines), and in some your hammer will break through blocks in your way. Mario's moveset includes backflips, using a handstand to deflect falling objects or jump higher than normal (or double jump if you're fast enough), and picking up/throwing enemies/objects. While he does have a problem with heights (falling from some heights will stun him, and greater heights will kill him), it makes the game more interesting by adding a hazard to be aware of.

You don't get a lot of the standard Mario themes (Mushroom Kingdom, Koopa Troopers, etc.), instead getting more generic stages (like Big City or Jungle). However, I don't really see that as a problem, since one of the biggest complaints about Mario these days is repetitiveness (though the saving-the-love-interest theme is still in this game). There are mushrooms in this game, though they shrink the player instead of make them larger (and are used in certain levels where you have to be small to proceed).

Last edited:
I'm gonna jump in on this resurrected thread too.
My first PC came preloaded with SimCity 2000. I lost count of the numbers of hours I spent building a city before destroying it with disasters and having it rise from the ashes. Eventually went on to own SimCity 3000 and then SimCity4/Rush Hour. SimCity Societies kind of ruined it for me and I never did get around to playing the new SimCity a couple of years ago. I do have the free-to-play SimCity BuildIt on my iPad though. And it's utter wank.

Close second would have to be The Sims. The original version obviously. Spending all my pocket money on expansion packs that I hardly ever played. Got about 4 expansion packs into The Sims 2 before I lost interest and stopped playing altogether. Vaguely remember playing The Sims Online just before they killed it off.

I think I still have my SimCity 4 and The Sims/Sims 2 game save files backed up somewhere. They must be at least 13/14 years old now if i can find them again aha.

Hmm, the first game I ever loved was probably the original Halo. Though, the first game that I was ever really addicted to had to be Runescape.

I would lie if I told you it was Super Mario bros on the NES which was my first game I owned as a kid with a Big Afro head and a apple Juice box at the age of 6 . But to really remember my first game that I loved is deep. My first game I loved would me colecovision dig dug hands down. one of my friends dad had all of these classic consoles and games and I would every weekend go and play these games and I remember that yellow box of dig dug. Love it and I wish I had it.
dig-dug-orange-manual.png

As a Bonus wanna know the wrost game I owned? and this was recent, I had a box full of juke games about 4 weeks ago. Its Penn & Teller's Smoke and Mirrors for the Sega CD. its funny yet corny but one part of the game is called"Desert Bus". it was terrible! I prefer a water buffalo to take a dump on my car and drive it for 5 week with the windows down..... that bad? find the video of the angry gamer nerd on youtube and you'll see how god awful it is.
PennandTeller_SegaCDpreBOX_F.jpg

Well the earliest game I can remember playing quite a bit was Berzerk.
2600berserk.jpg

I played quite a bit of pitfall and defender among other games, but Berzerk was by far my favorite.

As far as my First game I loved? It's a tossup between Metal gear solid and the Legend of Dragoon. (I honestly don't know which one I played first.)

First games i recollect playing as a toddler:
latest
latest

51Ft5WZuUzL._SX300_.jpg

mbclktFOR7KqXC1rMvFnGlw.jpg

I have a special place in my heart for the SIM games before they became daily life simulators. They inevitably shaped the gaming preference i'd stick with into adulthood:
SimAnt_Coverart.png

SimFarm_Coverart.png

252px-SimLifeCover.jpg

SimCity_2000_Coverart.png

First non-educational game I came to love:
pokemon_red__pokemon_blue__and_pokemon_green_by_cartoonfan101-d6hqkvz.jpg

Last edited:
First games i recollect playing as a toddler:
latest
latest

51Ft5WZuUzL._SX300_.jpg

mbclktFOR7KqXC1rMvFnGlw.jpg

I have a special place in my heart for the SIM games before they became daily life simulators. They inevitably shaped the gaming preference i'd stick with into adulthood:
SimAnt_Coverart.png

SimFarm_Coverart.png

252px-SimLifeCover.jpg

SimCity_2000_Coverart.png

First non-educational game I came to love:
pokemon_red__pokemon_blue__and_pokemon_green_by_cartoonfan101-d6hqkvz.jpg
I STILL have nightmares about Putt-Putt. FUCK that guy.

Back