General Anime Discussion Thread

Skryter, thank you for insisting that I watch Spice and Wolf - it's definitely going on my favorites list, I just wish it wasn't so short! I really want to read the novels and continue the story. Of course some fans tried to petition for a 3rd season, but let's be honest, that's really unlikely to happen.

Aaaannnd then there's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I'm 4 episodes in and God this anime is weird. It's so... Japanese. Definitely the oddest pacing, weirdest animations, and most unrealistic characters I've seen yet. There's never a moment that isn't dramatic and some of the writing is hilarious (for instance "The pain is mostly gone, I can even lift this rock!" that literally made me laugh out loud) Just a totally different style of anime I guess; is this a show that's supposed to be so bad and outlandish that it's funny and entertaining?

Okay, I'm probably annoying you guys with the constant updates xD
Jojo is supposed to be super outrageous and fun, as long as you never take it TOO seriously (sans one or two scenes) you'll have a blast, plus a lot of the weird poses they do are basically copy and paste panels from the manga. Also, just wait until you get to Part 2 (Episodes 10-26), that's been my favorite part out of those that are animated (it gets even sillier/hype).

Skryter, thank you for insisting that I watch Spice and Wolf - it's definitely going on my favorites list, I just wish it wasn't so short! I really want to read the novels and continue the story. Of course some fans tried to petition for a 3rd season, but let's be honest, that's really unlikely to happen.

Aaaannnd then there's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I'm 4 episodes in and God this anime is weird. It's so... Japanese. Definitely the oddest pacing, weirdest animations, and most unrealistic characters I've seen yet. There's never a moment that isn't dramatic and some of the writing is hilarious (for instance "The pain is mostly gone, I can even lift this rock!" that literally made me laugh out loud) Just a totally different style of anime I guess; is this a show that's supposed to be so bad and outlandish that it's funny and entertaining?

Okay, I'm probably annoying you guys with the constant updates xD

You should buy the light novels for spice and wolf like I have, or rely on the fan translation by drunken wolf translations (I think that's their name). The novels are quite excellent.

Oh, keep in mind while watching JoJo's suspension of disbelief is required.

Can anyone recommend something similar to Hellsing: Ultimate? I loved that series. I have never had my heart racing so fast during an anime before.

Can anyone recommend something similar to Hellsing: Ultimate? I loved that series. I have never had my heart racing so fast during an anime before.
The Original Hellsing! (HAHAHAHAHAHA I'M SO FUNNY! But seriously, you can skip it because you've watched Ultimate)

Honestly, I've got nothing, I've never seen anime that was SO METAL before in my life. I just wanted to make that unfunny joke...

Deadman wonderland and Elfen lied have an adequate amount of senseless gore and some suspense.

DATABASE, DATABASE
Necessary+_0258c3990c51f067a5c05ca7ec768041.gif

tumblr_ncxdw0RIS91te6t8zo3_500.gif

5238334+_594e59dca70ea37c8d95b92534cb6a46.jpg

Wait... is this the "right" Jojo's Bizarre adventure?
I was searching for it on youtube and came across a different one...

Wait... is this the "right" Jojo's Bizarre adventure?
I was searching for it on youtube and came across a different one...
Yes this is the correct Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

That "Other" one was the shitty OVA of Part 3. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT WATCH THE SHITTY OVA! Just watch Stardust Crusaders, when you finish Part 1 and 2, then wait for it to come off leave in January.

(Then be like me and cross your fingers that they do Part 4 afterward)

Deadman wonderland
No. Don't use my trigger words.

I just finished Elfen Lied yesterday. The anime was so violent it was hilarious.
Elfen Lied was the first ever anime I ever watched. Now that I think about it, I was only like 9 or 10 years old when I first watched it. The opening song "Lilium" makes me really want to learn piano...

So I just found out Toonami doesn't have the rights to air episode 9 and 10 of Hellsing: Ultimate like they were told at the beginning, due to how recently they came to America. Tomorrow I'm going to finish the series and hopefully start a new series, any recommendations?

Right now I'm thinking Samurai Champloo, Spice and Wolf (because of you guys) or Akame ga Kill, based on recommendations from other people, or Slayers based on the fact I like 90s anime and this one seems to be a more popular one (that I haven't seen).

So I just found out Toonami doesn't have the rights to air episode 9 and 10 of Hellsing: Ultimate like they were told at the beginning, due to how recently they came to America. Tomorrow I'm going to finish the series and hopefully start a new series, any recommendations?

Right now I'm thinking Samurai Champloo, Spice and Wolf (because of you guys) or Akame ga Kill, based on recommendations from other people, or Slayers based on the fact I like 90s anime and this one seems to be a more popular one (that I haven't seen).

Spice and Wolf, Spice and Wolf, Spice and Wolf.

And with that, Hellsing Ultimate is done, and by God did I enjoy EVERY SECOND OF THIS SERIES! I'm actually sad that it's done and I SHIT YOU NOT, I was clapping when the screen said "The End." I loved it so much it dethroned Casshern Sins as my #3 (still behind Jojo and Eva, but that's because those two aren't going anywhere ever).

God... I am without words right now. The dubbing was 11/10, there was LITERALLY NEVER a dull moment, the awesome parts were awesome, the horror parts were scary, the funny parts were funny, the sad parts were sad (looking at you episodes 9 and 10), whenever the Major opened his mouth I went silent so I could hear him (and I'm pissed his English voice actor isn't in anything else), GOD I LOVE THIS FUCKING SHOW!!!!! Go watch it right now! Watch the English dub, YOU NEED TO HEAR THE MAJOR IN ENGLISH! If you need me, I will be buying every episode of this series as the creators DESERVE my money for this marvel that they made.

And I haven't even gotten started with how amazing its soundtrack is yet!

Spice and Wolf is gonna have a hard time following this up.

And with that, Hellsing Ultimate is done, and by God did I enjoy EVERY SECOND OF THIS SERIES! I'm actually sad that it's done and I SHIT YOU NOT, I was clapping when the screen said "The End." I loved it so much it dethroned Casshern Sins as my #3 (still behind Jojo and Eva, but that's because those two aren't going anywhere ever).

God... I am without words right now. The dubbing was 11/10, there was LITERALLY NEVER a dull moment, the awesome parts were awesome, the horror parts were scary, the funny parts were funny, the sad parts were sad (looking at you episodes 9 and 10), whenever the Major opened his mouth I went silent so I could hear him (and I'm pissed his English voice actor isn't in anything else), GOD I LOVE THIS FUCKING SHOW!!!!! Go watch it right now! Watch the English dub, YOU NEED TO HEAR THE MAJOR IN ENGLISH! If you need me, I will be buying every episode of this series as the creators DESERVE my money for this marvel that they made.

And I haven't even gotten started with how amazing its soundtrack is yet!

Spice and Wolf is gonna have a hard time following this up.

I personally only watched the English sub. I have yet to watch the English dub.

Also noticed that the voice actor for Alucard is also the same for Kyon in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I personally only watched the English sub. I have yet to watch the English dub.

Also noticed that the voice actor for Alucard is also the same for Kyon in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Yup, good ol Crispin Freeman, he also gets really into his role as Alucard and delivers one hell of a performance. Also, they actually get British people to voice a lot of the characters, not to mention we also get a Scottish Anderson, and they all did an amazing job. Even the voice actors who were doing an accent (Laura Bailey as Schrodinger, Yuri Lowenthal as Bernadotte and J.B. Blanc as Maxwell) gave an authentic sounding German/French/Italian accent. Just take it from a guy who prefers subs over dubs, this was one of the best dubs I had ever heard.

lol fuck you guys... i should've never come here...

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/lacigolli

Recs???
Assuming "Recs" means recommendations...
Based off what the last 2 pages of this thread were about:

Spice and Wolf
Hellsing: Ultimate

Based off my favorites list:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (not the OVA) (only in sub)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (sub)
Casshern Sins (sub or dub, both are fine)
Hellsing: Ultimate (again) (DUB!!!!)
Space Dandy (Dub)
Big O (Dub, because Steve Blum)
Excel Saga (Sub)

lol fuck you guys... i should've never come here...

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/lacigolli

Recs???

It appears you don't have the Fullmetal Alchemist series on there. I think you should change that.

I've also got a few romcoms I'd like to recommend :
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Hayate no Gotoku (this is iffy depending on your taste)
Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko

EDIT: Actually, although I don't know if this is a good assumption to make, but I read the manga for "Welcome to the NHK!", and I would think it would be a good anime to recommend. And apparently this is bacon's favorite, so if you want more info, ask him.

Back