General Anime Discussion Thread

Nooo, Ufotable , why did you do this?

Green jellyfish thingies, really?

Why must thou change important plot points that are a lot tamer than the shit pulled in F/Z.

It's not getting better still? Sigh. Ending of the first half really annoyed me, I've only watched the first 3 eps of the 2nd half and the way
Berserker and illya died
was retarded, like seriously dumb. The fight with
Gilgamesh himself
was really cool, but the way the fight started was so stupid it gave me cancer. I'm going through poor writing chemotherapy right now actually.

It's not getting better still? Sigh. Ending of the first half really annoyed me, I've only watched the first 3 eps of the 2nd half and the way
Berserker and illya died
was retarded, like seriously dumb. The fight with
Gilgamesh himself
was really cool, but the way the fight started was so stupid it gave me cancer. I'm going through poor writing chemotherapy right now actually.

Yeah. The pacing and writing for both cours has been off-kilter; Deen's "crappy" adaption was better paced. My main issue with the latest episode though is how they pulled the "transferring magic circuit" bullshit, replacing a
sex scene with Rin (which is important lore-wise), whilst Sakura being raped in Fate Zero is a-ok
. Sure, it's a weird gripe, but it's the principle that really annoys me. This is the 3rd time a studio adapting FSN has done this now; I have no clue how they're going to adapt Heavens Feel without destroying a central theme to the route.

I just finished Kyousou Giga, and it was easily one of the most creative and fun shows I have ever seen. Absolutely a joy to watch from beginning to end. Instead of talking about it further, I'll show you the AMV that really encouraged me to watch it.

...And for anyone curious, I have a large youtube playlist of AMV's if you wanna look around.

Hey guys, the anime Robotics;Notes showed up on Funimation's free section on demand. Is it any good?

(Oh yeah, I finished Senran Kagura: Ninja Flash with my brother. Never has 12 episodes gone by so slowly, thank God I was watching it with someone so I at least got to crack wise)

Episode 24 of Fate Stay Night (2015) has the best animation I have ever seen in Animation. It's definitely without peer, with the possible exception of Ghibli Films.

So is it worth continuing?

If you can get over the terrible pacing and somewhat crappy writing, yes. I'd say it's worth continuing regardless only because of the sheer awesomeness that is Ufotable and their seemingly infinite budget.

Last edited:
How I've been spending my time now that Stardust Crusaders is done
dc1.jpg

my favorites have to be HxH and Kuroko no Basket as for anime, I like One Piece but I prefer the manga, I dont like the anime at all
I'm currently watching Owari no Seraph and season 3 of Kuroko, also waiting for new episodes for Assassination Classroom
I watched like.. 174 episodes of Detective Conan so far, I'm putting it on hold for now but I really wanna complete it
my plan for the summer is to rewatch Dragon Ball, and like 20 other animes that I plan to watch

there's so much for me to do, I dunno where to begin</3
#JustOtakuThings

How quickly would a lynch mob be after me if I said eastern anime hasn't got shit on western anime.

I'm not sure what you mean, but there are many western cartoons I've greatly enjoyed too. And to quell the argument quickly forthcoming, *my* personal definition of "anime" specifically is animation that is created by people who have grown up in and/or are apart of Japanese culture. Japanese people refer to all forms of animation as "anime", but it isn't exactly the same for other people in the world viewing the same thing. "Western anime" as you referred to it as, I would probably just refer to as western cartoons or western animation. There can be western cartoons/animation directly influenced and inspired by Japanese anime, even still using the Japanese anime art style, but I still wouldn't consider it anime because the ideologies, culture, and life experience is very different.

Now, to answer your question, I wouldn't agree western animation trumps eastern animation because the west largely views animation as a medium only for kids. The results are usually only kids movies or tv shows that, while still good, simply cannot be incredibly unique or distinct from each other because they are trying to appeal to a younger audience. The subject matter also becomes incredibly limited and censored as well. While Japanese anime doesn't have this problem, it is many times used for purposes not entirely indicative of good storytelling *cough* ecchie *cough*.

Now, if what you are ACTUALLY talking about is animation QUALITY, then that is another topic entirely. I believe that western animation as art and from a technical perspective can be incredibly good, however I'm not the biggest fan of the over reliance on almost exclusively using 3D/CGI animation as of late. And I have greatly enjoyed some of the older hand drawn Japanese anime movies and what not. But I'm no artist and I also know that anime can cut extreme corners and can look terrible from time to time. So that's more of a toss-up.

Does that answer your question or should I still grab the pitchforks? :)

I'm not sure what you mean, but there are many western cartoons I've greatly enjoyed too. And to quell the argument quickly forthcoming, *my* personal definition of "anime" specifically is animation that is created by people who have grown up in and/or are apart of Japanese culture. Japanese people refer to all forms of animation as "anime", but it isn't exactly the same for other people in the world viewing the same thing. "Western anime" as you referred to it as, I would probably just refer to as western cartoons or western animation. There can be western cartoons/animation directly influenced and inspired by Japanese anime, even still using the Japanese anime art style, but I still wouldn't consider it anime because the ideologies, culture, and life experience is very different.

Now, to answer your question, I wouldn't agree western animation trumps eastern animation because the west largely views animation as a medium only for kids. The results are usually only kids movies or tv shows that, while still good, simply cannot be incredibly unique or distinct from each other because they are trying to appeal to a younger audience. The subject matter also becomes incredibly limited and censored as well. While Japanese anime doesn't have this problem, it is many times used for purposes not entirely indicative of good storytelling *cough* ecchie *cough*.

Now, if what you are ACTUALLY talking about is animation QUALITY, then that is another topic entirely. I believe that western animation as art and from a technical perspective can be incredibly good, however I'm not the biggest fan of the over reliance on almost exclusively using 3D/CGI animation as of late. And I have greatly enjoyed some of the older hand drawn Japanese anime movies and what not. But I'm no artist and I also know that anime can cut extreme corners and can look terrible from time to time. So that's more of a toss-up.

Does that answer your question or should I still grab the pitchforks? :)
It answered the slightly less important part of my question but it still answered it. What I mainly wanted to know is this: if I said this, how quickly would I have to leave the country before I'm hung from my own pear tree.

It answered the slightly less important part of my question but it still answered it. What I mainly wanted to know is this: if I said this, how quickly would I have to leave the country before I'm hung from my own pear tree.
You'd probably be given a look, and then allowed to continue on with your daily life.

Unless you said it to a bunch of spergs then you'd be lynched before you could respond. However, since this place is filled with rational people you'll probably get a weird look because you asked the question, then everyone will resume their daily life.

Back