General Anime Discussion Thread

I wish we could discuss about one anime for at least one post before going on to the next one.

My current favorite is : Hunter x Hunter

While strangely the first few episodes make it seem like a very light hearted anime where nothing could go wrong.. things can go very wrong, and get real ugly. It's a very riveting anime that's just a good all-rounder where the character have really developed personalities and there's even some commentary about inequality in the human race. It's both magical and grounded in reality at the same time, which I can't get enough off.

Fav character : Knuckle

Least fav : Ging

I'll explain why if someone tells me how great/sucky/meh the show is.

Hunter x Hunter is definitely a top tier Shounen. The only contenders still airing/publishing at the moment that I can think of off the top of my head are One Piece and My Hero Academia in terms of scope, tonal shift, and quality. This is the first time I've seen someone list Ging as their least favourite character. Care to explain why?

Hunter x Hunter is definitely a top tier Shounen. The only contenders still airing/publishing at the moment that I can think of off the top of my head are One Piece and My Hero Academia in terms of scope, tonal shift, and quality. This is the first time I've seen someone list Ging as their least favourite character. Care to explain why?

Yes. While of course there's alot yet to be explored to Ging's character/behavior/mannerisms in future episodes ( haven't seen the dark continent arc yet as there's no anime for it yet.) he comes off to me as a deadbeat father with very conditional love to Gon. Even though he should bear the full responsibility to take care of Gon he shoves him aside to his sister (who is fortunately a good person) and does not even present anything (even something like a yearly letter showing some concern would suffice to pass as a decent human being). To top it off, he knew his son was in a hospital in great pain but did nothing even though he had the leverage and power to ease his burden and that's just terrible. He also comes off as bossy through the way he founded Greed Island and changed Wdwun's name forcibly because reasons. He would even attack a whole crowd who agree with Leorio's sentiment that he should at least visit Gon once, which probably would evidence he's tyrannical or simply was just the heat of the moment.

There's also come conflicting things about his character, about how he decided to train and help Kite become a great hunter without any apparent desire for a reward. Maybe he only helps people out with potential or something... or something about animals.

In conclusion, I think he's selfish by the way he treats people, he's nihilistic and/or manipulative to get people to do things. Yet somehow we're supposed to "like" this guy. This is possibly just evidence that Togashi is a good writer and intention to make sure no one is without their flaws. Maybe Ging will turn heel or hero or something else in between.

--------------

Now I will explain why I like Knuckle.

While yes he's an entertaining goofball with awesome power in hand-to-hand combat that's beside the point. I like him because he represents the innocence that is maintained after most characters shed in their line of work. Sure its impossible to do the right thing all the time, but he never seems to come off as callous or cold-hearted (Killua does not dodge this despite being young and cute.) I'm sure Knuckle has killed before, but would probably do it with the least possible suffering and never bully an enemy. Overall I like the way he's not mean and acts on all emotion (except hatred and distain) which keeps him from falling (unlike Gon who went over 9000 beserk against Pitou). He's just honest through and through without a hint of malice.

----

Genthru is an obvious heel from the get-go. Constantly pushing those unfortunate to come in contact with him with his nen bombs. None is more deserving of death than this guy. I still think he has yet to be properly developed... possibly becoming a part of the Phantom Troupe.

Last edited:

Kenji Kawai played the movie adaption for 'Making of Cyborg' over the scene from the live action film at yesterday's GITS Tokyo press event.

I get a bit iffy when Hollywood adapts IP that I enjoy, but after re-watching the trailer a few too many times I'm quite hyped, and it appears to be quite faithful. (Although it seems they've given Kusanagi's shell the Barbie Doll treatment) I gotta say, I'm looking forward to seeing the scene with the Uzi firing HV rounds.

Last edited:
Back