GoDaddy and SOPA

I mentioned this in the op, and was aware of it when I started the transfer. The only reason they backpedaled is to prevent even further backlash -- it doesn't mean they actually changed their mind about anything. Not to mention they're also just a terrible registrar overall. I've been meaning to transfer for a while now. So... many... advertisements...

SOPA, and anything else; Like do I have to worry about anything haha

For the international community, you won't be "lawfully" bound to anything new, but the companies here in the US will.

tl;dr: In the worst, most abusive case, you won't get sued. But you also won't be able to use Wikipedia, YouTube, Reddit, or Facebook anymore.

well good thing i wasn't in a hurry to transfer. I was planning to switch cause of sopa but didn't have time with the holidays and whatnot) i am still looking, but nothing is beating the price I'm paying (which is less than 10 bucks)

For the international community, you won't be "lawfully" bound to anything new, but the companies here in the US will.

tl;dr: In the worst, most abusive case, you won't get sued. But you also won't be able to use Wikipedia, YouTube, Reddit, or Facebook anymore.
Actually, Facebook and YouTube might be able to dodge a bullet here. Facebook is about to open (or they might already have opened, I haven't checked lately) a server farm in Canada's Far North. Since in order to do so they need to legally purchase the land, and in order to do THAT they have to be an official separate entity in Canada (basically meaning they have to exist as a standalone company here), all they would have to do is shift the most important part of their service to the new server farm, officially move their head offices to Canada, and then begin server farm expansion (or just make more in other international locations). Service would be intermittent for the first few months, but it wouldn't die.

YouTube is owned by Google, as I'm sure you're aware. It would simply cease to exist inside of the US, and since I know for a fact Google operates outside of the USA, it would be a simple transfer of service to servers outside of the States in order to continue operating.

Sucks to be American right now, I gotta say. You'll be losing access to so much.....I predict that Mexican and Canadian immigration levels will skyrocket.

well good thing i wasn't in a hurry to transfer. I was planning to switch cause of sopa but didn't have time with the holidays and whatnot) i am still looking, but nothing is beating the price I'm paying (which is less than 10 bucks)

What services are you looking for / using?

Actually, Facebook and YouTube might be able to dodge a bullet here. Facebook is about to open (or they might already have opened, I haven't checked lately) a server farm in Canada's Far North. Since in order to do so they need to legally purchase the land, and in order to do THAT they have to be an official separate entity in Canada (basically meaning they have to exist as a standalone company here), all they would have to do is shift the most important part of their service to the new server farm, officially move their head offices to Canada, and then begin server farm expansion (or just make more in other international locations). Service would be intermittent for the first few months, but it wouldn't die.

YouTube is owned by Google, as I'm sure you're aware. It would simply cease to exist inside of the US, and since I know for a fact Google operates outside of the USA, it would be a simple transfer of service to servers outside of the States in order to continue operating.

Sucks to be American right now, I gotta say. You'll be losing access to so much.....I predict that Mexican and Canadian immigration levels will skyrocket.

Everyone uses these explanations for YouTube and Facebook (specifically Facebook's new Canada server farm), but they're missing a key factor. SOPA doesn't only target the "server farm." It also prevents the company from receiving any advertising revenue from within the United States. I highly doubt Facebook would continue to maintain it's levels of profitability if it suddenly lost its income from the US.

Back