Home Network?

Cacher

So, I know I'm not as active on here any more (But I still stick around).

But we are currently in the process of building a new house and this time I want to get a perfect network with everything set up to be future proof (as future proof as possible).

The problem is, I have no idea how I should lay it out or what I should actually implement, as it is literally a clean slate

I've been thinking about running cat6 cabling to every room (even the laundry)
Having wifi routers set up on the wall for mobile devices
Media server with TB of storage
Dedicated Router (switch?)
Literally endless possibilities (ideas???)

Thanks

Nevermind, you're building the house so run the lines as much as you need. I mean honestly I'm going for the same setup eventually, just have other projects that are more important.

Sidenote: Have good venting where-ever you decide to have as your media room as equipment can heat the room really quickly.

Don't need multiple wifi routers unless you're building a mansion that is 6k+ sqft, unless it's gonna be 2 story and a basement have a router on 2nd floor and a router in basement.

Sidenote: Have good venting where-ever you decide to have as your media room as equipment can heat the room really quickly..
Venting is actually a problem. The area we are building in has strict bushfire regulations, as a result almost all holes in/out of the building have to be inspected and of a maximum (extremely small) size.

Don't need multiple wifi routers unless you're building a mansion that is 6k+ sqft, unless it's gonna be 2 story and a basement have a router on 2nd floor and a router in basement.
Its a very long single story house

Wood-frame? Beaver-built concrete? ICF? What's your exterior wall material?

Wood, metal, or composite studs for your interior walls?

Thickness of the gypsum board in your interior walls?

Are you putting in a basement?

If not, is the house going to be elevated off the ground with a skirted gap underneath?

Is all your major equipment available with a fibre optic port?

Are you going to have a dedicated media closet (or two)?

Are you planning on running your lines in the ceiling or floor?

What's the total planned dimensions of the house? LxW?

How many outlets are you planning on putting in each room, and the average size of each room?

Are you planning on installing the outlets correctly?
Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg

Cable? Fibre? Dial-up?

Will your livingroom or gamingroom require extra dedicated connection points?

Are you going to have surround-sound systems set up? Speakers in or near the ceiling requiring a jack up there?

How about your TV? Considered elevated receptacles?

Can you put a spark screen on the vents and call it good? We have similar laws regarding vehicle exhaust lines in northern Alberta.

Is liquid cooling an option, or are you in an area where in-floor heating isn't really necessary/desired?

These are just some of the things I ask homeowners before laying out a wiring plan for their house.

But we are currently in the process of building a new house and this time I want to get a perfect network with everything set up to be future proof (as future proof as possible).

One word, Conduit. Install Conduit runs between your drops (Plugs in the wall) and your patch bay. This will allow you to pull wire as you need it. The main benefit of using conduit is that in the future when who-knows-what is being used for cabling you can do a run without ripping out your walls.

If you use conduit make sure that it does not run parallel to power wires unless you are running metal conduit. This is because power wires produce Electromagnetic Flux which interferes with high frequency signals like those in ethernet cables. Metal conduit protects the cable from Electromagnetic Interference so you don't have this issue.

You should also should know that conduit runs must have less than 360 degrees of arc, otherwise you will not be-able to pull the wires. If you need to have more arc you can install conduit bodies (Also known as Pull Boxes) in the middle of your runs. Just MAKE SURE that the boxes will be accessible after construction is completed.

One word, Conduit. Install Conduit runs between your drops (Plugs in the wall) and your patch bay. This will allow you to pull wire as you need it. The main benefit of using conduit is that in the future when who-knows-what is being used for cabling you can do a run without ripping out your walls.

If you use conduit make sure that it does not run parallel to power wires unless you are running metal conduit. This is because power wires produce Electromagnetic Flux which interferes with high frequency signals like those in ethernet cables. Metal conduit protects the cable from Electromagnetic Interference so you don't have this issue.

You should also should know that conduit runs must have less than 360 degrees of arc, otherwise you will not be-able to pull the wires. If you need to have more arc you can install conduit bodies (Also known as Pull Boxes) in the middle of your runs. Just MAKE SURE that the boxes will be accessible after construction is completed.
Actually, the 360° is more of a code thing for power cables. It's not recommended to do more than that without a pull box as you risk damaging the cable, but as a homeowner and not a professional, there really isn't anything stopping him.
Unless local code prevents it, of course...though I don't see why it would. Either way, add up your total degrees of bends, and divide by 360° to find out how many pull boxes you need in each run. Round up to the nearest whole number.

If you have any questions about code and trade best practices, I'm glad give advice. It is what I do for a living, after all :p

Wood-frame? Beaver-built concrete? ICF? What's your exterior wall material?
Wood Frame
Brick Exterior
Wood, metal, or composite studs for your interior walls?
Wood
Thickness of the gypsum board in your interior walls?
There's no boards yet, But I'll see if it's listed in the plans
Are you putting in a basement?
No
If not, is the house going to be elevated off the ground with a skirted gap underneath?
No. On the ground with a waffle core slab
Is all your major equipment available with a fibre optic port?
'Major Equipment' has not been bought yet so this can be arranged
Are you going to have a dedicated media closet (or two)?
Yes
Are you planning on running your lines in the ceiling or floor?
Ceiling/Wall
What's the total planned dimensions of the house? LxW?
1wQWtP2.jpg

How many outlets are you planning on putting in each room, and the average size of each room?
2 sockets, 1 outlet in most rooms
Are you planning on installing the outlets correctly?
Electrical_outlet_with_label.jpg
That's up to the electrician
Cable? Fibre? Dial-up?
Cable
Will your livingroom or gamingroom require extra dedicated connection points?
Yes
Are you going to have surround-sound systems set up? Speakers in or near the ceiling requiring a jack up there?
I'm actually not sure. Our current Surrond-sound system needs to be replaced
How about your TV? Considered elevated receptacles?
One TV will be on a cabinet, 2 of the bedrooms will have one mounted
Can you put a spark screen on the vents and call it good? We have similar laws regarding vehicle exhaust lines in northern Alberta.
If that is the equivalent of an ember screen, then yes
Is liquid cooling an option, or are you in an area where in-floor heating isn't really necessary/desired? These are just some of the things I ask homeowners before laying out a wiring plan for their house.
Liquid cooling is an option, but not if it can be avoided?
Floor heating isn't really needed in Australia

Back