I guess there's nothing wrong with Internet trolling

DOS622

It looks like all the discussion in the Minecraft Survival forums has turned from the new changes to just arguing and trolling.

Stratadon said:
I just moved into a college dorm with two new roommates. I went out of my way to not disrupt their current living style, and while falling asleep the first night, I overheard one of my roommates say to the other, "wow he is so easy to live with. I am in love with our new roommate already." These are simple lessons for navigating life. Far too many people in the world have forgotten how to be polite and suck it up. [...]

That's the real world, where people know your real name and can shoot you in the real face with a real gun. Why bother treating people with respect here on the Internet where there's no risk, no accountability?

Of course, I do treat people with respect online anyway, and don't troll (or is this post trolling?). I suppose it's some silly concern for people's feelings, as if there are any feelings on the Internet! No, as suggested by a few people, one ought to have a thick skin.

Diemundz said (in an edited version of his first post on that thread):
[...] I have about 65 posts at the time of writing this, and I have deleted all of them but people are still posting mean s*** about me behind my back. If I am able to at least keep my good reputation even though all these d***hordes are ruining it with their incessant, irritating cyberbullying, I will probably get a good job when I get older, but if not, then I say f*** you all.

I think that's blowing things out of proportion a bit. So long as you don't mention in your resume/CV that you played Minecraft using the pseudonym "Diemundz", how are potential employers going to know anything about your behaviour on these forums? No, they're not going to know anything about it, so everyone can just go ahead and keep behaving the way they are.

Although it seems to me to be the right thing to do, I can't think of a convincing reason for behaving respectfully that I could give to others. Is there one?

It looks like all the discussion in the Minecraft Survival forums has turned from the new changes to just arguing and trolling.

Stratadon said:

That's the real world, where people know your real name and can shoot you in the real face with a real gun. Why bother treating people with respect here on the Internet where there's no risk, no accountability?

Of course, I do treat people with respect online anyway, and don't troll (or is this post trolling?). I suppose it's some silly concern for people's feelings, as if there are any feelings on the Internet! No, as suggested by a few people, one ought to have a thick skin.

Diemundz said (in an edited version of his first post on that thread):

I think that's blowing things out of proportion a bit. So long as you don't mention in your resume/CV that you played Minecraft using the pseudonym "Diemundz", how are potential employers going to know anything about your behaviour on these forums? No, they're not going to know anything about it, so everyone can just go ahead and keep behaving the way they are.

Although it seems to me to be the right thing to do, I can't think of a convincing reason for behaving respectfully that I could give to others. Is there one?

Basically, you just said that it is ok to do bad things and be mean to people as long as there are no repercussions. I find this post to be incredibly immature. I can't even fathom someone thinking in this way. I would have thought you to be above this.

As simply as I can put it, this is about being a descent human being, and treating others with decency no matter the circumstances. I hope that one day you too will realize that treating other people with respect is important, no matter what the circumstance or medium may be. There is never a good enough reason to berate and cause emotional duress to another human being. Ever.

Kinda what Strat said: be nice to others. You honestly don't know the other persons frame of mind or personal situation and so it's best not to say anything you wouldn't say to someone's face. Assuming because you're anonymous online doesn't mean that the person you're being mean to isn't less real.

My general rule of thumb is if you insult me, I'll take it over the top and destroy you. If that doesn't end it then and there, I'll continue to make fun of you until you either leave, ignore me, or start being nice and logical. If you cry about it, well, you started it; you should be able to take what you dish out, or you shouldn't be serving it to begin with.

As far as Diemundz goes, s/he asked a question, I gave a legitimate, helpful response; s/he responded with "Well, that's _____ up." To me, this is a useless post. So I responded by explaining what it actually was, instead of a useless post. And then Chovynz off-topic'd it, Diemundz took offense to the derailment, and then threw a temper tantrum and started calling everyone names when we refused to get back on topic, even though the topic was basically dealt with already. See above for the logic on what happens when you start insulting people for no reason.

This same can be applied to crazy1redneck, babybacon, FancyPants111, and zombieslayergirl. If you throw an insult at me, expect permanent humiliation. So far, babybacon is the only one to redeem himself, and it took almost two years. While I agree to treat people with respect, I have gone out of my way to be nice and respectful to all of the above, and yet they continue to respond (minus babybacon) with disrespect, temper tantrums, and insults. And so, I pity the next fool to cross my path, for they shalt experience the wrath of the Obsidian God of Cursing. If they're lucky, I'll do it in haiku.

If they're lucky, I'll do it in haiku.
I did that to Redneck, he didn't get it.

This thread seems rather pointless and pointed. Things on the forums lately have been tense, but the offenders have also shown a lack of judgement and brevity.

Nothing that any rational person should be able to handle.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone's behaving badly on the forums, it's really funny to string them along. If someone
s acting like a cock or insulting me, the best I can do is have a bit of fun.
I started off positively with Redneck and when he devolved into mania, I got quickly more dour. But I didn't get vicious, I got lighthearted.

I don't have a perfect track record myself in these matters, but I have a sense of humour and that's my main charge, no?

I really can't be called guilty of much else, apart from some sizzlingly good barbs.

Basically, you just said that it is ok to do bad things and be mean to people as long as there are no repercussions.

Isn't that logically true?

There are certainly potential repercussions whenever you do bad things:
- if you do something bad that's actually illegal, you might get in trouble
- if you do something bad to someone you're friends with, you might lose their friendship
- if you do something bad to anyone, you might make them upset
Aside from the last one, I guess those repercussions do tend to influence people to behave properly, but I guess on the Internet, lots of people don't have much concern for the feelings of strangers.

I find this post to be incredibly immature. I can't even fathom someone thinking in this way.

I'm just trying to be realistic here and try to understand what I've observed on these forums and on the Minecraft Survival server. Maybe I just need to do a lot of ignoring :)

I would have thought you to be above this.

Please don't think ill of me, I actually do treat people well, I just can't see any hope of convincing others to do so. I can only hope that setting a good example might occasionally have a positive impact.

Hopefully nobody read my post and decided to start trolling or anything like that :)

As simply as I can put it, this is about being a descent human being, and treating others with decency no matter the circumstances.

I just think this is like religion: we can believe that this is the right thing to do, but it might not be supportable by any logic.

If the way you treated people resulted in you getting smaller or larger numbers of credits in Minecraft Survival, then I'm sure that the much more obvious positive benefits of being a decent person would influence people (no, I'm not suggesting that such a thing is possible!).

I hope that one day you too will realize that treating other people with respect is important, no matter what the circumstance or medium may be.

You don't have to convince me, but I'd be happy if you could convince everyone else! :)

Apologies if I've caused anyone any stress with my post!

This thread seems rather pointless [...]

Possibly, probably.

As far as I'm concerned, if someone's behaving badly on the forums, it's really funny to string them along.

"Violence begets violence"? Maybe if you set a good example, someone else might learn to be polite. Some of us are capable of acting maturely, maybe it would set a good example for those who are still young. Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Isn't that logically true?

There are certainly potential repercussions whenever you do bad things:
- if you do something bad that's actually illegal, you might get in trouble
- if you do something bad to someone you're friends with, you might lose their friendship
- if you do something bad to anyone, you might make them upset
Aside from the last one, I guess those repercussions do tend to influence people to behave properly, but I guess on the Internet, lots of people don't have much concern for the feelings of strangers.

I'm just trying to be realistic here and try to understand what I've observed on these forums and on the Minecraft Survival server. Maybe I just need to do a lot of ignoring :)

Please don't think ill of me, I actually do treat people well, I just can't see any hope of convincing others to do so. I can only hope that setting a good example might occasionally have a positive impact.

Hopefully nobody read my post and decided to start trolling or anything like that :)

I just think this is like religion: we can believe that this is the right thing to do, but it might not be supportable by any logic.

If the way you treated people resulted in you getting smaller or larger numbers of credits in Minecraft Survival, then I'm sure that the much more obvious positive benefits of being a decent person would influence people (no, I'm not suggesting that such a thing is possible!).

You don't have to convince me, but I'd be happy if you could convince everyone else! :)

Apologies if I've caused anyone any stress with my post!

Essentially, you were just pointing out observations you've made? That is what is suggested in this post. Admittedly, I was confused as to the real intent of this thread but you've seemingly clarified it. However, I would suggest you say that these observations are merely that. And not imply that trolling is acceptable due to the anonymity and lack of repercussions for such an act.

"Violence begets violence"? Maybe if you set a good example, someone else might learn to be polite. Some of us are capable of acting maturely, maybe it would set a good example for those who are still young. Or maybe it doesn't matter?
Case in point: when Redneck was triple-posting, Keeby and I gently told him that it was pretty taboo to do that, to which he replied "ah do what ah want 'cos this is 'Murica".
<not what he actually said but you get the point>

Then I started speaking in haiku because that was a lighthearted and funny way to deal with someone who is
1. Breaking the rules
2. Being rude
3. Being rude to me

It does matter. And the example I'm setting is that you shouldn't lose your head in a confrontation.

However, I would suggest you say that these observations are merely that. And not imply that trolling is acceptable due to the anonymity and lack of repercussions for such an act.

Yes, I guess that's basically it, observations. Who's to say what is right and what is wrong? Well, on the forums, I guess that'd be Wooty :) In real life, society does, but then theft and murder are illegal but in most places they still happen a lot anyway. I don't find them acceptable, but obviously plenty of people do :(

Case in point: when Redneck was triple-posting, Keeby and I gently told him that it was pretty taboo to do that, to which he replied "ah do what ah want 'cos this is 'Murica".

Oh yes, and he also said, if I recall correctly, that you were derailing the thread by attempting to point out forum etiquette to him. I couldn't work out where you were meant to point that out to him, is there a "Miss Manners" forum? :) Yes, he didn't seem to be very willing to listen to much of anything at all. Perhaps your haiku wasn't persuasive enough? :)

Yes, I guess that's basically it, observations. Who's to say what is right and what is wrong? Well, on the forums, I guess that'd be Wooty :) In real life, society does, but then theft and murder are illegal but in most places they still happen a lot anyway. I don't find them acceptable, but obviously plenty of people do :(

Oh yes, and he also said, if I recall correctly, that you were derailing the thread by attempting to point out forum etiquette to him. I couldn't work out where you were meant to point that out to him, is there a "Miss Manners" forum? :) Yes, he didn't seem to be very willing to listen to much of anything at all. Perhaps your haiku wasn't persuasive enough? :)
I find your use of emoticons confusing.
It really annoys me because I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or if I (or you) have misunderstood something.

I find your use of emoticons confusing.
It really annoys me because I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or if I (or you) have misunderstood something.

- Wooty does decide what is right and wrong on the forums, that's a fact.
- I think it was reasonable for you guys to point out to crazy1redneck that triple posting was not proper etiquette and not reasonable of him to complain that you were attacking him and derailing the thread - "sorry, I wasn't aware, I'll try to avoid that in the future" would have been a better response!
- Your haiku didn't seem to help. Maybe because you were forcing your points into the correct number of syllables, they lost something in the "translation", or maybe you need to come up with a more convincing explanation for why he shouldn't do multiple posts. Perhaps he isn't going to listen to any advice he receives anyway.

Would it really have been clearer without emoticons? That's half the problem: a lot of what people post on the Internet is ambiguous due to its lack of tone, and very open to interpretation. Some choose to give others the benefit of the doubt - i.e. assume they're not being attacked - and others choose to attack back without asking questions first.

- Wooty does decide what is right and wrong on the forums, that's a fact.
- I think it was reasonable for you guys to point out to crazy1redneck that triple posting was not proper etiquette and not reasonable of him to complain that you were attacking him and derailing the thread - "sorry, I wasn't aware, I'll try to avoid that in the future" would have been a better response!
- Your haiku didn't seem to help. Maybe because you were forcing your points into the correct number of syllables, they lost something in the "translation", or maybe you need to come up with a more convincing explanation for why he shouldn't do multiple posts. Perhaps he isn't going to listen to any advice he receives anyway.

Would it really have been clearer without emoticons? That's half the problem: a lot of what people post on the Internet is ambiguous due to its lack of tone, and very open to interpretation. Some choose to give others the benefit of the doubt - i.e. assume they're not being attacked - and others choose to attack back without asking questions first.
I believe Vorsy was confused with your emoticon usage primarily because you began a sentence with a smiley. That will throw a lot of people off and make them think, "wut?"

Also,
Perhaps your haiku wasn't persuasive enough? :)
Can't tell if sarcasm or actually meaning it as friendly advice.

I believe Vorsy was confused with your emoticon usage primarily because you began a sentence with a smiley.

Actually, I ended the previous sentence with a smiley :)

Can't tell if sarcasm or actually meaning it as friendly advice.

Just a real question. I just smile a lot. I guess that's preferable to being too serious :)

I find that the most professional way of correcting someone here is to PM them. It's like the equivalent of pulling someone aside in real life and pointing out an issue. Sure, you can point out the issue the moment you see it, but you risk embarrassing the person and also opening up the issue for people to get involved. Yeah, it's more fun pointing people's mistakes out in front of everyone, especially when said person is being stupid or annoying, but if you really want to help someone improve, you do so in private. I've noticed people aren't as hostile and generally tend to actually think about what you say when you PM them. Just my two cents.

The only reasons I am posting this here and not PMing is because I feel this is more a discussion as I am simply giving my opinion, and also I hope for people to see this and hopefully use it, as many previous flame wars could have been prevented.

I find that the most professional way of correcting someone here is to PM them.

I thought about that earlier, although I did think that maybe people might become the victims of barrages of so many PMs it would be annoying :)

But you're 100% right, it is definitely much better to bring these things up in private. Particularly in real life, in the workplace, where failing to do so can get you in a lot of trouble, because potentially embarassing people is actually frowned upon, although some people (not me) would suggest that that's just too much political correctness.

Thanks!

I don't see an issue with either causing emotional stress to someone or internet trolling. (tl;dr explanation coming after this.) That being said, most of the things I say, I say with the other person in mind, and also for the greater good - or just for plain punniness.

Example : I lost my patience the other day, and yelled (capitalised words) at a noob, who refused to listen, refused to do anything better, continually made the same mistakes, spammed everyone on survival and just plain was noob. Usually I'm one of the first to try to help these people as I believe in education rather than punishment.

Still, someone people seem to be dense. And punishment seems to be the only way to get through to them.

My creed / mantra / way of life at this point in time is as follows: (not in-depth nor finished developing either):
- I am wise. If I want to be more wise, I will listen when someone corrects me, no matter who they are or where the correction comes from. As a corollary to previous - Often those who care enough to correct are worth listening to. A friend's correction and "hurtful" words, are more valuable than a strangers or enemies suck-up. I think people place too much emphasis on "not hurting" other peoples feelings.

- I am responsible. If I want more responsibility, I will show myself as being trustworthy and responsible.

- I own my own actions. I take responsibility for my own thoughts and actions. I do not have to type swear words, nor be thoughtless in my interactions with others.

- I will take life by the balls and make it mine. This is my life, I only have one to live (as far as I know), I will do the best I can.

- I believe that everything I do and everything I say affects those around me, even if I am not aware of the effect. As much as is up to me, live at peace with everyone. Don't sweat the rest.

- I am human. I make mistakes. I learn from it and try again using something else. (alby says if you keep doing something when it isn't working, that is the definition of insanity. Paraphrased.)

When combined, essentially (but not in anyway shape or form, limited to this nor stuck like this) I live as free as I am able to, helping others as I can, caring about others, but caring enough to potentially hurt them in an emotional way so that they have the opportunity to grow for themselves (i.e. I would want someone to tell me , even if they yelled at me or "hurt my feelings", if they saw me running towards a cliff, and I didn't seem aware of it.)

So, now, according to the laws of the internet on amount of thoughtfulness gone into a post (especially on a gaming forum), let the ignoring commence.

In my opinion I think trolling someone is perfectly reasonable if done correctly to a certain extent. If your an arrogant, ignorant ass-hat like me and you act like a dick to others even when they are trying to help you - you deserve to be trolled. A while ago I was intentionally being an ass to a certain group of members on a forum I don't visit anymore and through their counter-trolling I was able to change my attitude and grow as a person. If someone insults me with a logical reason then I'll accept their criticism but if their reason is not logical or counter-conclusive then i won't put up with their crap and I'll lay down the law. I respect everyones opinions as human beings but I cant stand people who are blatantly ignorant or stupid to an extent where they ignore others helpful advice due to illogical reasoning.

Back