Internet issue.

Creeper

My computer won't connect to the internet. I haven't had this problem in a long time. I've tried changing the ethernet cable, changing the socket on both ends multiple times, and restarting my computer, but nothing works. I suspect my PCI card may be broken. All lights on the router and computer are functioning, signalling reception through both sides. I'm not sure what do.

Help?

Is it a Windows 7 machine? Its pretty good at self healing. Run a diagnosis on your LAN.

Windows XP? Its terrible at networking. Make sure DNS is enabled, make sure IPv4/6 settings are all set to automatic. Go into CMD, type "ipconfig /release", then "ipconfig /renew" (without quotation of course).

Windows Vista, Network and Sharing Center will help, pretty much the same as 7. Run a diagnosis on the LAN connection, also if there is a red x anywhere on the network map, click it, Windows will try to fix it.

Sometimes its just a simple little setting. Also go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Advanced, and reset all of your options to default, including personal settings.

Finally, perform a boot-time scan using your AV. My AV of choice is Avast!.

Thanks for the tips. I'm using Windows 7. I'm going to do all the things you said, wish me luck.

Back