• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Items for the Spawn Store and Prices too [W.I.P.]

JerzeyLegend

I have compiled a list (with help from some Haven members) of items and prices for which items should be sold and purchased at the spawn store.

This is a work in progress and the prices are subject to change and Woot's approval.

Check out the Google Doc for more info, and I will make it openly editable, but PLEASE FOR FUCKS SAKE do not go all crazy and screw it up.

Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApLjWq1LI-h_dF82UXBObmFablRLT3p4eTlIald5UWc#gid=0

EDIT: I posted a copy of the original in which I will fill in with the actual prices and what was actually implemented.

EDIT: List updated with new prices, items bold are implemented.

It's unlikely that any other items will be put up for sale / purchase if they are readily available in any sort of fashion. Right now, the entire economy is regulated based on a fixed point (diamonds), which makes it extremely easy for us to maintain. There is no such thing as "relative pricing," because there is only one fixed price. The rest of the economy regulates itself as players choose their own prices.

Items that are NOT readily available are still on the board for being sold, as they are (in effect) currently priceless in the economy.

Edit:

I'm going to go into a little bit more detail about why a single point fixed pricing is good (or at least easy). Let's assume that both diamonds and porkchops are options for selling to the spawn store. We know almost exactly how difficult it is to obtain a certain amount of diamonds. This difficulty can be increased or decreased by a minor amount by doing strategic strip mining, but is still approximately constant. A new player has almost the same amount of chance of finding diamonds compared to an experienced plyer.

Porkchops, on the other hand, take an extremely variable range of difficulty to obtain. A new player may only wander across a pig by chance on rare occasion, while experienced towns can have complicated pig auto-farms which just rake in the money.

I've actually discussed this with a few people in the past, but if we ever had a server wipe, it's likely that voting would be the only source of credits (no selling diamonds). This method ensures that all players, who are reasonably active, gain a constant amount of credits. These credits would be a bit more valuable, to make up for the fact that selling diamonds is no longer possible, but "exploiting" the credit system would be impossible, because you cannot "x-ray" for votes.

-- Just a thought

okay.

The goal is to allow more items to be sold in the store. If prices need to be changed, so be it.

I am no economy or math major, in fact I hate math. I also see no reason why you couldn't change it to that system now. The economy may suffer, but will it not recover eventually?

Edit: Just to clarify, the prices are for US (the players) buy FROM the store. If you made diamonds the ONLY sellable thing that's fine with me. i had prices for selling more things up there and I have no problem removing them as sell-able items.

From our earlier mumble discussion, mostly bought from but of course the exceptions sold to. Like metals/stones for example.

which we can remove.

we want most, nearly all, but not all items (because some are just retarded to have) as purchase-able items FROM the store.

The above post is mostly about selling items TO the store. Settings prices for items FROM the store is much easier, and can almost be set completely arbitrarily without messing up the economy. If anything messing up the sell FROM prices will mess up inter-player trading a bit, but it doesn't allow anyone to game the system by creating massive farms, breeding pigs, exploiting obsidian, etc.

tl;dr: Yes, selling more items from the store is easy and doesn't impact the economy much. Someone just needs to get around to doing it.

The above post is mostly about selling items TO the store. Settings prices for items FROM the store is much easier, and can almost be set completely arbitrarily without messing up the economy. If anything messing up the sell FROM prices will mess up inter-player trading a bit, but it doesn't allow anyone to game the system by creating massive farms, breeding pigs, exploiting obsidian, etc.

tl;dr: Yes, selling more items from the store is easy and doesn't impact the economy much. Someone just needs to get around to doing it.

I think the major thing is the pricing, because we feel that having a high price on MOST OF (edit) these items is very fair due to them either A. Not being available to get anymore, and most of them are just for show in builds, or B. Just don't be lazy and go farm for it.

Could we set up our own shops?

My reasoning is this: for example, say I have a few gold blocks. I have no real use for them, but a rich player wanting gold walls/floor (or just gold in general) may. I sell each at 100. Currently, we have to meet, the person pays 100, I drop a block. The problems with this?
  1. Someone else could pick it up
  2. One party could do part of the transaction, then the other might not. (i.e. theft, then admins have to get involved, and it takes longer to complete the transaction or get refunded)
  3. You have to both be online in order to trade.
  4. You have to designate a meeting place

Sonic, here's a thought on the economy: let people sell any non-farmable block i.e. dirt, coal, iron, gold, diamond, redstone, sand, glass, etc.

To expound upon this, if you simply banned farmable (exploitable) items (animal, food, mob products) from being sold (or lowered them to meaninglessly cheap prices to sell (like selling one porkchop to spawn for $0.01), then you would not have to worried about the dreaded porkchop bubble and the economic collapse that it could cause!

What do you guys think??

Sonic, here's a thought on the economy: let people sell any non-farmable block i.e. dirt, coal, iron, gold, diamond, redstone, sand, glass, etc.

To expound upon this, if you simply banned farmable (exploitable) items (animal, food, mob products) from being sold (or lowered them to meaninglessly cheap prices to sell (like selling one porkchop to spawn for $0.01), then you would not have to worried about the dreaded porkchop bubble and the economic collapse that it could cause!

What do you guys think??

As described above, more items up for purchase lead to more complicated price maintenance and higher chance of exploits.
We're aiming for fewer buyable items -- not less. Let the players work out sales amongst themselves, not against a fixed shop price.

As described above, more items up for purchase lead to more complicated price maintenance and higher chance of exploits.
We're aiming for fewer buyable items -- not less. Let the players work out sales amongst themselves, not against a fixed shop price.
Ok, that is fine then :) One other thought though:

You had mentioned the problem of diamonds being exploited by cheaters using X-ray. I would suggest you could circumvent this problem by replacing diamonds as the one sellable (to spawn) item with something less rare, like dirt or cobble. After all, you basically want credits to go to those who are most active on the server, correct? If so, I think these more ubiquitous items are actually far better choices as the amount of dirt and cobble you acquire is far more indicative of how much time/effort you've spent on the server. Plus, it would be a great way to get rid of all the extra dirt and cobble that players inevitably accumulate!

As an aside, I know cobble has been sellable for $0.02 in the past, and think that actually the price should be slightly higher. A fair price would be to see how many diamonds you could find in about 30 minutes strip mining, and compare that to how much cobble you've accumulated in that time. The total value of the cobble should be set equal to the total value of the diamonds found :)

Or of course you could switch to an entirely vote-based economy, as you mentioned before. The problem there, though, is that players can easily vote on both sites daily without spending any time on the server, which may be good for server rankings, but not for play value.

Idk, I completely understand if you disagree, but what do you think of this? I was a Mathematical Economics major lol, so I should have some insight into this issue lol :)

Back