• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Learning to add normal maps and specular maps to textures...

JerzeyLegend

There has been a recent wave of people loving Sonic Ether's Unbelievable shaders, and Chroma Hills shows it off at it's best with a normal *bump* map and specular map custom made by Sonic Ether himself.

I have a love for a new texture pack called Conquest. It's fantastic. Check it out sometime. However, it does not have a normal map nor specular map (reflections).

So I'm learning to do both, and to start, I'm editing Redcraft 128x which is a HD version of minecraft's default texture. Very little is changed from MC except resolution and items have a bit different art to get rid of the 8-bit look.

Right now I'm focusing on blocks that have metals, so I can make them shiny, to me adds a whole new level of immersion. Once I have perfected it, I will move on to conquest and make it bad ass.

Look below for some samples:

hP5Dkjt.png

cNgiAXt.png

zKMjq0W.png

To me, this is the coolest. If anyone is interested in helping let me know, this is a learning process for me, so it isn't perfect. I'm learning as I go.

I imagine Minecraft's lack of texture interpolation would make normal maps look rather derpy/pixelated.

Sorry, I stopped doing this. The author stopped updating his texture pack and has become a giant asshole.

Back