Loading Old MC Survival World

rvby1

Hey, all!

Been a long time since I've come around here. I know it's mostly dead, but I thought I'd ask just in case someone's lurking around.

I'm trying to go on a bit of a nostalgia trip with the old Beta 1.6.6 Survival world (located here), but I can't seem to load it up correctly.

I copy the world directory over into MC's \saves directory, then try to load it up with an old MC client (1.6.6, 1.6, 1.7.3, etc). Each version says "Must be converted" underneath the world name. When I load it up, any regions that the game loads (ie r.0.0, r.0.-1, etc.) are recreated using the world's seed; any unloaded chunks aren't affected.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to go about loading up these archives?

Thanks.

Looking at level.dat using nbt2yaml, it has version = 19133, which https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/NBT_format says means it's Anvil file format, which means it's release 1.2.1 or later. Looking at the file dates of March 2012, it must have been version 1.2.3 or earlier, so I guess woot updated the world to some version between 1.2.1 and 1.2.3 to make it easier to load in current Minecraft versions or something.

I don't know if there's any way to downgrade it if you want to actually play with the old beta version of the client.

Edit: It loaded fine in release 1.8.9. I couldn't get 1.2.5 to start for some reason.

Last edited:
That sounds familiar. I recall there being some manual step required to upgrade the worlds at one point, so I went ahead and migrated them all to save others the hassle. That was a long time ago ...

Back