Looking to buy an electric guitar

avroom

Hey boys and girls,

I've been playing acoustic guitar for a while now and decided to buy an electric one. I want to pick up either a Les Paul or a Strat model, but I'm not sure what to get.
The Gretsch G5426 is a very nice looking guitar, has a reasonable price (289€) and good reviews.
What other options do I have at the same price range (or preferably lower)?

Also, another thing to keep in mind is of course the amplifier. I'm more or less clueless about those. I don't want the amp to be big and expensive. Is the Acoustic Lead Guitar Series G20 a good deal (~80€)?

So if you have any experience with the topic, I'd be happy if you helped me out :)

it really depends on what kind of sound you want, so let's start with that ^^
Probably going to play things like alternative, indie, grunge, hard rock, but also blues. So there must be something that's capable of both soft and heavy tones.
For the amp, I'm not interested in having a neighbor killer, since I'm playing mostly in my room or even with headphones.
I know this is a vague description but I hope that's a start :D

Probably going to play things like alternative, indie, grunge, hard rock, but also blues. So there must be something that's capable of both soft and heavy tones.
For the amp, I'm not interested in having a neighbor killer, since I'm playing mostly in my room or even with headphones.
I know this is a vague description but I hope that's a start :D
you don´t need an amp above 50 watt then, but it won't get you the best sound. peavy/marshall/fender and all that stuff works fine.

really really really dependent on what your budget is. i would say if you're aiming for around the 300 euro mark (with the gretsch as an example) it's best to find used equipment that was formerly at a higher price point.

for indie, grunge, and whatnot, i'm sure there is a used fender (hopefully not squier) or solidbody epiphone that can work nicely.

crafter's got a point with the plug-in little vox amp things, i've heard great things about them and honestly i wouldn't pass those up myself since i'm not one for amps with huge wattage and whatnot.

i think you can aim for those tones you described out of most guitars, but certainly would feel most at home with those playstyles with fender/epiphone, or even the gretsch. all depends on your taste man

really really really dependent on what your budget is. i would say if you're aiming for around the 300 euro mark (with the gretsch as an example) it's best to find used equipment that was formerly at a higher price point.

for indie, grunge, and whatnot, i'm sure there is a used fender (hopefully not squier) or solidbody epiphone that can work nicely.

crafter's got a point with the plug-in little vox amp things, i've heard great things about them and honestly i wouldn't pass those up myself since i'm not one for amps with huge wattage and whatnot.

i think you can aim for those tones you described out of most guitars, but certainly would feel most at home with those playstyles with fender/epiphone, or even the gretsch. all depends on your taste man
Since he's new to electrics, he probably doesn't know exactly what he wants in an electric, so I'd say just pick up a Stratocaster clone and just try that for a while then figure out what you want after that

Thanks for the help. I almost bought a used Yamaha Pacifica 604 on ebay for around 300€, but didn't make it in time.
I'll probably settle for either a Pacifica 112/212 or a Gretsch G5421. I'm not sure whether I prefer single cut or ST models.

And crafter's headphone amp may actually be good enough for me, for now.

Quick bump
Got it all together now: a Yamaha Pacifica 311h and a Fender Mustang I V2.
GYXBX7F.jpg

Feels nice and I enjoy all the effects that come with the fender. All I need to do now is somehow get around the background noise..

Quick bump
Got it all together now: a Yamaha Pacifica 311h and a Fender Mustang I V2.
GYXBX7F.jpg

Feels nice and I enjoy all the effects that come with the fender. All I need to do now is somehow get around the background noise..
I've recently started learning electric myself, and from what I gather, get effects pedals for distortion/gain, instead of boosting gain through the amp, I got a cheapo 15watt amp from a charity thrift store, and a combo effects pedal thing that the guy threw in with the guitar (which works as a mini amp for headphones, for when I wanna do stuff in silence) and that mostly got rid of the white noise. I assume an effects pedal should do similar, as its boosting the signal, not the amp itself.

Is it completely silly to aim for a $50 budget and expect something that doesn't sound like an open shoebox with rubber bands around it?

Is it completely silly to aim for a $50 budget and expect something that doesn't sound like an open shoebox with rubber bands around it?
The cheapest electric guitar I saw was around €80 and I'm sure you can get these used from ebay. The next question is if they're in some way reliable or not, lol. Everybody advises against them, but if you can't spend more I really don't know.
I bought my guitar and amp from ebay and it cost me a little over 310 Euros.

I've recently started learning electric myself, and from what I gather, get effects pedals for distortion/gain, instead of boosting gain through the amp, I got a cheapo 15watt amp from a charity thrift store, and a combo effects pedal thing that the guy threw in with the guitar (which works as a mini amp for headphones, for when I wanna do stuff in silence) and that mostly got rid of the white noise. I assume an effects pedal should do similar, as its boosting the signal, not the amp itself.
Which pedal do you use?

Back