Maybe a Dingo DID Eat Your Baby...

moondoggy23

Authorities in Australia are looking (once again) into whether or not a dingo did in fact eat a baby. This article discusses the famous couple from 30yrs ago that lost their 9week old daughter, and blamed the incident on dingos (dingoes?), which cause such a stir that a movie was made about the series of events, which starred Meryl Streep (for which she earned an Academy Award nomination), and forever coined the phrase, "Maybe a dingo ate your baby." The mother of the duaghter was originally convicted of murder charges, but the ruling was eventually overturned. This is going to be the final inquest into the death of this infant girl (supposedly) where the parents are hopeful that the cause of death will finally be attributed to a dingo.

This is interesting to me, since I do enjoy saying that line, and I had heard it was from a true event that happened in Australia, I just didn't know it had been not-so-long ago. I figured since there were so many Aussies (and coconuts) here that you all may be all abuzz about this bit of news.

Maybe we didn't instinctively post it here because we don't want to humanise a classic joke, attaching a truth to a silly joke will make anyone feel bad reciting it.

Anywho, it's good that new evidence shed light onto the topic, even if it's minimalistic.

I have thought the whole situation is somewhat comical. I try to imagine what sort of circumstances were these people in that they were unable to protect their child from a dingo/dingoes and none of them really make much sence, except some sort of extraordinary situation where they had to choose their lives or their child's. In some situation like that, I would like to think I would throw myself to the dingo/dingoes before my own child, but I guess I wouldn't know unless I was there.

Back