• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

[MC] Serpent Pass House Competition

mountainboy965

ATTENTION! All Residents of Serpents Pass.

Prize: 45 diamonds
Length of Event
Begins: November 1st
Ends: November 17th, 11:59 (Mountain Side Time)

What: Build a super-duper fancy-pants awesome house somewhere on the Serpent Pass Map.

Rules: Build at least 100 blocks away from the SP portal. SP Ministers will decide on the winner. No penorz or swastikkkas allowed.

How to Win: Build a fancy house that makes you the envy of all house owners in Serpents House, so that people may gaze in awe of your wonder...

Additional: Post a pic in this thread when you complete your house!

Another additional, build it somewhere interesting. I didn't make landscape on drugs just to look at. There is a whole lot of cool geographical phenomenons to take advantage of, make something creative with it.

Another additional, build it somewhere interesting. I didn't make landscape on drugs just to look at. There is a whole lot of cool geographical phenomenons to take advantage of, make something creative with it.

Yes, this. For example, Lacar built an upside-down house underneath the Landbridge.... Get creative and you can come up with something truly awesome.

Also, current house-owners will be included in the contest, however, you are welcome to build a 2nd house if you would like.

How about extending the competition deadline a little since there isn't a single screenshot in this thread yet? Tsysin was talking about starting a house today, sounds awesome to me.

Also for the record, lacar said a few days ago that it's not an "upside-down" house, it's just a "hanging" house, which makes more sense to me after having seen it!

People have been asking about the competition. It has been extended until the end of the month, the 30th of November. At which time, if no other Council Members are on, I will declare the winner. A new exciting competition will begin in December.

So the results are in! After many hard weeks or hard work, several fantastic homes went up, and several more are in the process!

Houses will be graded off of the following criteria, on a 1 (worst) to 10 (best) scale.

-Detail Factor (how much detail went into the build)
-Completeness Factor (how complete is the build)
-Scale Factor (how big is the build)
-Uniqueness Factor (things considered in this category are things like, terrain, materials used in the build, location of the build, landscape, etc)

I will start off with the houses that received the lowest score, and then work my way up to the grand prize winner.

Beginning in last place, is my own house-
2014-12-02_171726_zps6e762d6e.png

2014-12-02_171747_zpscd32edab.png

Detail
While the outside has some detail, the inside has virtually no detail. I rate this a 2.

Completeness
The build is 99% complete on the outside, and about 10% complete on the inside. I rate this at a 6.

Scale
The build is an average size home. There is no basement, only a first floor and a second floor. I rate this at a 6.

Uniqueness
In terms of uniqueness, this house actually has some very unique factors. The most unique factor is that this home possesses an amazing view of the waterfall, which can be seen from the porch. The materials used in this build include wool, podzol (for the garden), and nether fencess. I rate the uniquness level at a 7.

Overall rating: 6

~~~~~~

The next home was the very first home to be built in SP. This home belongs to Dutchcheese and Allimon, both of whom seem to have disappeared in recent weeks. Somebody please get them back on!! I know we all want to hear dutch ramble on while drunk.

2014-12-02_172136_zpsbcf07ad4.png

2014-12-02_172059_zpse7efdbe4.png

Detail
This home seems to have more detail than the previous home. There is a fireplace inside. Both residents have rooms inside. There is an outdoor porch with chairs. However, I really wish there were more details on both the inside and outside. I would say that this is a typical minecraft home built by an average minecraft player, in terms of detail. I rate this at a 5.

Completeness
The home seems to be completed. For being complete, it receives a 10.

Scale
The home seems to be an average size minecraft home. It receives a 6.

Uniqueness
What makes this home unique is that is has an amazing back-porch! The porch overlooks an impressive river and has a great view. While not quite as impressive as the waterfall, this home deserves a visit nevertheless. The materials used in the home are primarily wood, which makes the uniqueness level go down. I rate the uniqueness level at a 6.

Overall Rating: 6

The next house belongs to Constructor. While not yet complete, it beats out the two previous competitors. Had it been complete, it might have been higher on the list.

2014-12-02_173123_zps6c748d93.png

2014-12-02_173210_zps8a6da453.png

Detail
The level of detail in this house, both on the inside and outside, is very meticulous and impressive. In fact, the level detail may be partly while it is taking Constructor a long time to finish it. But I know that once it is completed, this home will be one of the premiere homes in the city. I rate the detail at a level 10.

Completeness
Unfortunately this house still needs the 2nd floor to be completed, and is still missing quite a bit of its outside structure. The home looks to be about 60% completed, so I rate the completeness factor at a 6.

Scale
At first, the home doesn't look all that big. But then when you look up, you realize how tall the home actually is. Additionally, this home has several unique factors behind it (which I'll talk about in a second) that makes the whole thing bigger. I think this home is slightly bigger than than the average minecraft home. I rate it at a 7.

Uniqueness
I find this home to be quite unique. It almost has a steam-punkish feel to it. The roof adds incredible complexity to the design- a design that not every minecrafter can pull off. The materials in this build are a healthy variety of stonebricks, wood, and cobble. None of the materials are overbearing, and just the right balance is used for each material.

Another factor that adds to the uniqueness of this home are the "plazas" and "terraces" behind the home. There is a family farm behind the home built on a series of terraces. There is also a very nice plaza in the back. My only concern with the plazas and terraces is that they do not match the same style of the home.

I rate the uniqueness level at a 9.

Overall rating: 8

~~~~~~~~~

The next home, which doubles as a windmill, belongs to one of the newest residents in the game- Sheepoman. Sheepoman, as evident by his home, has tremendous potential as a builder. He is definitely one to watch out for over the next few months/years.

2014-12-02_180326_zps63964048.png

2014-12-02_180143_zps4c038408.png

Detail
It's a windmill. It's got a flag on top. There was particular attention paid to the right mixture of materials. The windmill has the right cools and the right materials on it. Inside the windmill there was attention to detail in terms of the mechanics of the windmill. However, I felt like the walls lacked depth. Also, many of the rooms inside were empty.

One of the cool things that Sheepo did a really good job of is his suspension bridge that leads to the windmill

I rate this at a 8.

Completeness

This home looks to be 90%. I can't tell if Sheepo is planning to add more detail inside, or if he is planning more with his "overhang/porch." I rate this at a 9.

Scale

The scale of the windmill looks comparable in size to other windmills that I have seen in minecraft. However, you can tell that Sheepo has plenty of plans for his windmills. When all is said and done, the scale of Sheepo's complex will be considerably larger. I rate this at a 7.

Uniqueness
The home was very unique as far as homes go. This is definitely one of the sites to see on this map. The pathway to reach the home builds up the anticipation of seeing the windmill for the first time, and it does not disappoint. The windmill was built on top of an amazing overhanging cliff. Sheepo has done a fantastic job of retaining the surrounding terrain. I rate this as a 9.

Overall Rating: 8.5

The next three homes were incredibly close, and it was very difficult to chose between them.

In third place, is a home owned by Konflakes. More accurately, the home is a complex or an estate. Kon wins over Sheepo simply because of the sheer scale and attention to detail. It's tough show the true extent of his complex in pictures, so I highly recommend just visiting.

2014-12-02_172829_zpse35b7d3f.png

2014-12-02_172802_zpsc4f510ba.png

2014-12-02_172746_zpsa5d192e9.png

Detail
Konflakes has done an impressive job of paying attention to detail on both the interior and exterior of his buildings. However, it's the exteriors that really shine through. I rate this at a 9.

Completeness
All of his buildings appear to be complete. However, my only criticism is that I don't see a true "home," in that there doesn't appear to be a building where he has things like kitchens, beds, etc. I rate this at a 9.

Scale
The scale of the complex appears to be of average size. However, I suspect that konflakes will continue to expand the complex and make the scale bigger. I rate this at a 7.

Uniqueness
What makes this complex unique is the amount of detail in each building. The materials in the complex are a healthy mix of wood, stone, cobble. No material is over-bearing, and each material is used appropriately. The buildings all have depth. There is an animal farm, animal barn, windmill, chicken coop, farms, and other various basic buildings. The complex is set right next to the sea, so I wouldn't be surprised if Kon eventually decides to build a ship. Additionally, the complex is set next to a landmark on the map- The Viper (a water-fountain in the shape of a snake). However, my only complaint is that many of the buildings are buildings that are typically found in minecraft (farms and pens). For as much attention to detail, I was hoping that there would be something that would stand out, like a piano, or a bathroom, or something. I rate the uniqueness level at an 8.5.

Overall rating: 9

After much thought, and consideration, here are the final two results! I will announce the winner in the next post.

Here is Lacar's House. There is a misconception out there (mainly generated by me, because I think it's hilarious) that his house is an "upside-down house." However, it reality, it's a "hanging house." This house is an absolute must-see, and is one of the most exciting buildings on the server. The creativity and thought that lacar put into the house is top-notch.

2014-12-02_174401_zpsa2d71ee7.png

2014-12-02_174434_zps0645ff21.png

2014-12-02_174454_zpscfc2e4c7.png

Detail
The outside of the house is very detailed. Lacar put a lot of thought into the exterior of the home. The inside is not quite as impressive on the detail side, though. Lacar does have a bedroom, a kitchen, and a dining room. However, there are many open spaces inside that I wish lacar had used to fill in with detail. Nevertheless, I give this rating a 8.

Completeness
The house appears to be complete. I only wonder if Lacar plans on doing more? Perhaps an airship? Perhaps a "hanging farm?" Who knows. This gets a 10.

Scale
The house is actually quite small. But to get there requires large suspension bridges. In fact, the total area used to create this small house is larger the down-town area of SP. I give this an 8.

Uniqueness
On the uniqueness scale, this home by far blows away all of the competition. For crying out loud, its a "hanging house." You can't really get more unique than that. This house is a page straight out of the steam-punk Bible. The materials used in the house are a creative blend of white wool, wood, stonebricks, and cobble. The materials are seamlessly woven together. The house hangs underneath the largest landbridge in the map. You can jump out of lacar's house, fall over 100 blocks, and land safely in the river below.

This rating receives a 11. Yes, imo, it is so unique that it breaks the uniqueness scale.

Overall rating: 9.5

~~~~~~~~~

The other house in the final competition belongs to Tsysin. This house is loosely based off of Frank Lloyd Wright's "Cliff House," I believe. This home has a very modern 21st century approach to it, which is very different from anything on the server (with the exception of Alfison's house in Southbridge, which also has a 21st century modern take). If you decide to visit this house, please use extreme caution! It is set on the side of a cliff! In my opinion, this house is so different and exciting, that anyone wishing to see something truly amazing must visit this house. You will be absolutely blown away at the level of detail put into the home.

2014-12-02_180538_zps35d0093c.png

2014-12-02_181008_zps4f3469c1.png

2014-12-02_180651_zps574266ca.png

Detail
Tsysin absolutely blows away all of the competition when it comes to detail, especially interior detail. Tsysin put a tremendously amount of thought into the house when it came to creating unique details. He has fully decked out living rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, wine cellars, parking garages, pool tables, bars, and even tanning beds. You name it, this house has it. This rating receives a 10.

Completeness
The home appears to be 98% complete. There is only 1 slight thing that I noticed, his storage unit does not yet have all the walls on it. However, he keeps his storage unit tucked away and can only be accessed via a secret chamber. This rating receives a 10

Scale
The scale of the home seems big, but only because there is so much detail packed into every room. One of the criticisms that I have is that there seem to be too many stairs inside the home, and that it is easy to get lost in. There are two buildings in this home- the house and then the garage. I rate this at a 9.

Uniqueness
In terms of uniqueness, this home is quite unique, but not as unique as lacar's. I do think that basing the house off of Frank Lloyd Wright (a very famous architecture), reduces Tsysin's score ever so slightly. The materials in this home are primarily smooth sandstone and cobble. I wish that Tsysin had used slightly more variety in the materials, such as quartz, iron, snow, and smoothstone (or even some colored clay), all of which would have added to the modern 21st century flavor. However, Tsysin did build this house on a cliff. And the fact that this is only the 2nd modern house on the server gives Tsysin some extra points. For these reasons, I give Tsysin an 8.5 in uniqueness scale.

Overall Rating: 9.5

Aaaaaand welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. And here is the moment of truth- the winner of the house competition....

But first, let's do a quick run-down.

Lacar and Tsysin both received an identical score in the finals, a 9.5 score, which is near perfection. The score was based on a combination of several factors, primarily (1) Detail, (2) Scale, (3) Uniqueness, and (4) Completeness.

After much thought, and consideration, which was by no means an easy decision, ladies and gentlemen, here is the winner....

And the winner is-
TSYSIN!!!!!!!!

Reasons- Lacar, your house simply
did not have enough details on the inside, while
it was extremely creative and unique,
I felt that Tsysin simply did a better of being more consistent in every category.

This competition was by far the best competition so far, and extremely close. Congratulations to everyone who participated.

Tsysin,
you win 45 diamonds! Congratulations!!!!

Back