• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Minecraft (Alpha - Survival Multi Player): Anticipation of awesome

bigheadzach

Board Game Pimp
So yeah, I'm one of those people who has paid my $13 (or 9 Euro) and are awaiting the newest version of the Alpha (transitioning into Beta). The SSP (Survival Single Player) is just glorious to explore and exploit, and given me a new reason to be scared of the dark.

At the moment, Team9000 isn't running a SMP (Survival Multi-Player) server for several reasons:

1. Classic allows instant construction of colorful murals/sculptures (infinite building materials) which appeals to some more than Survival mode
  2. Wooty's not a fan of resource gathering, crafting, and monster attacks
  3. Survival Multi-Player has several major bugs that still need fixing, such as furnaces working, persistent inventory, persistent storage chests, monsters spawning, player/mob/falling damage

However, there are a number of features that SMP provides (or will provide):

1. Multiple biomes (paradise, oceanic, mountainous, snow-covered, hellscape)
  2. Vast networks of underground caves, complete with waterfalls, lava falls, and rich veins of iron, gold, diamond, and electro-active redstone.
  3. Using basic tools (shuvel, pick, axe, hoe), players can harvest/cultivate natural resources
  4. Crafting system leads to more complex and useful structures, as well as better tools
  5. Chickens, pigs, and cattle which jump around and make noise, but also are harvestable.
  6. YOU CAN MAKE AND EAT BACON. (This should be sufficient for some of you.)
  7. Construct minecart tracks to facilitate travel, or just make crazy roller coasters/train routes
  8. Monsters (skeleton archers, zombies, spiders, slimes, and suicide-bomber Creepers) spawn in darkness (or from generators deep within dungeons)
  9. Fabricate swords/armor of ever-increasing quality plus a bow & arrows to help protect yourself & attack others
  10. Redstone electronics allows for creation of complex switches, traps, sensors, and other cleverness
  11. Collaborate with others to construct massive fortresses (underground, on mountaintops, floating in the air, or beneath the sea)
  12. Painting with blocks is admittedly fun, but there's something about getting dirty and building something with your own [virtual] hands that appeals to some.
  13. Weekly updates promise additional crafting recipes, more mob types, and more advanced gameplay, whereas Classic is a final release and will not evolve further.
  14. It's only $13. ONCE. You can miss a meal or two. Help support independent game developers!!

So I ask you, Team9000 friends and family: Who would join a T9K SMP server if one/several were to be created? :DD

And the Friday update is out!

(ripped from Notch's blog)

+ Added server-side inventory
+ Made the server save player locations when they leave the server
+ Made chests work in SMP
+ Made signs work in SMP
+ Made furnaces work in SMP
+ Added monsters=false to server.properties. You can turn it on for experimental monsters, but you can’t hurt them directly yet. (Fire works, though!)

But this is NOT SECURE YET! I decided to just focus on making it functional first so I actually got it out.

I’ll work on inventory security and server-side health management next week. Server-side health means you’ll be able to fight monsters and perhaps even other players. :D

So yeah, it's now a GREAT time to get a server going! All that's missing from single player is monster damage (although creeper explosions, and fire/lava still hurt).

Hell, I'd even import my single player level so there'd be something to start with.

And the Friday update is out!

(ripped from Notch's blog)

So yeah, it's now a GREAT time to get a server going! All that's missing from single player is monster damage (although creeper explosions, and fire/lava still hurt).

Hell, I'd even import my single player level so there'd be something to start with.

WOOT! Best. Update. Ever!

I'd love to play SMP, but only with a couple of team mates. I tried it alone; but other players stole all the surrounding resources from me. If me and a couple of other players worked together we could get the resources quicker and have more fun.

I'd love to play SMP, but only with a couple of team mates. I tried it alone; but other players stole all the surrounding resources from me. If me and a couple of other players worked together we could get the resources quicker and have more fun.

Any announcements about an alleged Team9000 Alpha SMP server, I will leave to Wooty to make. ;)

I would join if I ever get around to buying the game. Oddly enough I prefer gathering resources over building stuff.

I would join if I ever get around to buying the game. Oddly enough I prefer gathering resources over building stuff.

$13. It's going to go up once the game enters beta, so lock in your low rate nao!

And yeah, I like how the game can cater to a number of different interests. We'll need spelunkers, miners, lumberjacks, builders, track-layers, electricians, security guards, etc.

I like it when a plan comes together. :)

$13. It's going to go up once the game enters beta, so lock in your low rate nao!

And yeah, I like how the game can cater to a number of different interests. We'll need spelunkers, miners, lumberjacks, builders, track-layers, electricians, security guards, etc.

I like it when a plan comes together. :)

You speak much truth, and as such. I have been locked in. ha ha

This is me celebrating my new avatar, the Creeper Smiley. Careful, his hugs are explosive!

Latest Minecraft Alpha update:

This week's secret update will be delayed until Saturday to allow Notch to rest while he works out the details of his new business arrangement (what with all that cash he finally got from Paypal, he managed to hire a small team to help out).

However, despite the secretness of it, two improvements are known:
  • Furnaces will be fixed (i.e. they won't update your client only when something in the furnace changes), so no more disappearing stuff!
  • The addition of a Crouch button which causes the player to move slower, possibly get into smaller spaces, and (most importantly) approach a ledge without falling over; it prohibits the user from walking off if crouch is active.

Some of T9K are software developers themselves, so we recognize the importance of proper sleep, food, and hydration; feel better Notch, and keep the improvements coming!

Yaaaay for Notch. He really needs a vacation or something after he finishes getting SMP working. Between making a business out of this, and actually making this, he's a busy man.

Fucking gold furkey

Notch later added Multiplayer, which allowed many Minecrafters to play together over the Interwebs, this created Griefers, who should be shot on sight.

Just bought the game, single player survival is already very interesting, but its lonely >_<

I will I will I will join IMMEDIATELY when we made one~~~ ^.^v

I want an Invite to, Wooticulator. I don't want to actually open my mouth to speak to people on ventrillo. So an invite = Smexy.

Back