• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

More ranks/trophies/titles perhaps? (ohmahgawdi'mscrewed)

Kris

KRIS YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF TRASH! THIS HAS BEEN REQUESTED MORE TIMES THAN THERE ARE STARS IN THE UNIVERSE! DIE IN A HORRIBLE PIT OF FLAMES!

Yes, yes, children I understand. But with so many changes to the community recently (Mainly minecraft being shut down), and Wooty is already planning to change things around on the site this spring, I think more titles and ranks would be fitting.

Several members still have Minecraft Classic Admin as their title, even though we shut down Classic last Saturday. Things just seem to be moving very fast, and I think some site interface updates would be pretty cool too.

I loved the days where "Active Member" would appear under my name in posts, and under every post was my signature(Even though I don't want this particular feature back).

Now, you may ask, "Well, then, mister, you've made a half valid point, but what should we base these titles on"

This I have no answer to. We're a community, and we shouldn't be judged by how many likes we have, or by our like to post ratio. However I think it'd still be cool to have a set of titles on the forums for having a specific achievement completed. For example, you get one title for having more likes than posts, or maybe a "Crap poster" title for having an 100 to 1 post-like ratio.

I don't know, maybe someone that's more creative than me will have a better idea. I just think it'll be fun having a little more structure and ranks.

Agree? Disagree? Ideas?

(plsdontstabme)

Forum ranks/titles have been touched on more times than I can even remember, unless things have changed the usual response is the rank really doesn't mean anything, which is why it was originally removed from under usernames on the forums. They caused more poop than they were worth.

As far as trophies go there could be some potential there imo, if Wooty were to plant a few easter eggs around the website, trophies for hilarious and ridiculous feats and so on it could be pretty awesome.

Trophies for everything. EVERYTHING. Then you could get a special rank that shows up under your username (this would be the only obtainable rank that shows). Something like "trophy whore" so people know you're legit.

I've always thought appointing a select few to be forum mods would be a good idea, that way any turd-fests can be quashed more quickly. Although reporting a thread/post tends to get a response of about 8hrs, which for the size of this site and just 1-2 people moderating it, isn't too bad.

Trophies would be a fun thing to have.

Honestly, trophies on forums is useless. Same goes for ranks. However, titles that are unique to a person (ie. Obsidian Man or something similar for me) once they've gained a reputation around the community for that particular aspect of themselves that sets them apart (no "token aussie" titles) would be alright with me.

Envy and Desire.

People will think differently of others if they have something special.

If you get jealous of someone having a fake digital trophy on a small website, then you need castration a life.

Honestly, trophies on forums is useless. Same goes for ranks. However, titles that are unique to a person (ie. Obsidian Man or something similar for me) once they've gained a reputation around the community for that particular aspect of themselves that sets them apart (no "token aussie" titles) would be alright with me.

It might be fun to have trophies. Maybe. I remember when there were giveaways every month and one of the last ones was to find all of the Easter Eggs on the website. That was a fun time.

So is every other frivolous activity though.

The question, really, is why not?
A trophy for lots of posts? Spam. A rank for lots of crap posts? People can and will make a serious effort to achieve that. If you post on a forum it's supposed to be because you feel part of the community or want to be part of it. Hence community-reputation-based titles. Not easy to implement, and honestly not worth the effort. But if any of the above were to be implemented, that would be the only one that I can see actually contributing to the community rather than being detrimental.

More? I'm even hardly collecting likes, and you want more?!

Aww, I thought spoiler would squeeze the whole thing : (

No, I don't think we really need those things, and as Gurw already stated, trophies for things, like how many times you posted, will only cause spam.
Trophies and achievements are some nice things, but only in the case you really did something to be proud of. I don't like to see people trying hard to get some worthless little pictures just to show others that they have no life at all.
Maybe a little tag under the username to show how active someone was rercently, but not more, if there isn't already :D

The only thing I would recommend would be the easter egg hunt, or something similar on various occasions, last time was really fun, and I got on some parts of the community I didn't even know of, though I just joined back then.

If you get jealous of someone having a fake digital trophy on a small website, then you need castration a life.
You'd be surprised how many people care about stuff like that. I, quite frankly, couldn't give a rat's ass about stuff like that. Would it be nice? Sure. Would I put in a vote for something like that? No. I am content with just sitting by idly as things change and accepting it all for what it is.

A trophy for lots of posts? Spam. A rank for lots of crap posts? People can and will make a serious effort to achieve that. If you post on a forum it's supposed to be because you feel part of the community or want to be part of it. Hence community-reputation-based titles. Not easy to implement, and honestly not worth the effort. But if any of the above were to be implemented, that would be the only one that I can see actually contributing to the community rather than being detrimental.
See, I couldn't see it being either constructive or detrimental. Just some fun little achievements to try to reach over time.

I may just be short-sighted, though. Just tossing an idea back out that's already been tossed around more times than a Quiche plate at a family reunion.

I think easter eggs would be cool, and I did like the titles under the pictures on posts, but hey, thats just me ( I know that feature will probably never come back). I also think that the community-based titles that Gurw mentioned would be an interesting idea to have.

I was once part of another forum group that would let you set a custom title after you've made 100 posts. The only problem I'd see with that would be new members spamming posts to be able to set a title, but that never happened at said forums.

I'm not too interested in more trophies, but easter eggs and custom titles are a feature I'd support.

I'd agree with the custom titles, people in general like to personalize their profiles as much as they can, and since our signatures were hidden for reasons that are quite reasonable. (lol) I think custom titles would be a nice little touch...

Back