• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Mumble mumble mumble...

I've not been on in a while. Maybe a year. I stopped getting on regularly because of my son's birth and that has changed how much free time I have anymore, and so I've had to prioritize what I want to do. I've always enjoyed talking with you all, but it is hit-and-miss when I may find someone. Also, there is no way you'll find me anywhere near awake after 10:30PM (EST) anymore if you're lucky.

I suppose I could get on more often, but it'd be for a limited time at best.

Also, I don't think my mic works anymore.

And I'm old. There's no other old people to talk about old people things like why this part of my body itches, or if it's normal for this weird thing to grow here, or would I be better off putting my funds in a deferred annuity, or should I put it in some mutual funds and play the markets.
Annuities aren't really worth it until you are retired and need that money to live off of. You're probably better off with a diverse mutual fund, as all of your money will have gains, instead of a bunch of it being taken out slowly. Annuties are also generally guaranteed... Which more or less means you're probably getting the short end of the stick.

Also put some of that shit in a 401k and some of that shit in a Roth IRA, yo.

Please note that I am not a certified financial planner. I am however awesome, as is saving for your retirement.

Annuities aren't really worth it until you are retired and need that money to live off of. You're probably better off with a diverse mutual fund, as all of your money will have gains, instead of a bunch of it being taken out slowly. Annuties are also generally guaranteed... Which more or less means you're probably getting the short end of the stick.

Also put some of that shit in a 401k and some of that shit in a Roth IRA, yo.

Please note that I am not a certified financial planner. I am however awesome, as is saving for your retirement.

Thanks for the advice. I am, actually, a licensed investment rep, so I know what to do (for me). I was trying to think of old-man-type things that would be stereotypical and that some other people (youngsters) would find funny. Let's get back on-topic, please:

Mumble. Do what?

Thanks for the advice. I am, actually, a licensed investment rep, so I know what to do (for me). I was trying to think of old-man-type things that would be stereotypical and that some other people (youngsters) would find funny. Let's get back on-topic, please:

Mumble. Do what?
It's good that you know what to do, because most of what I spouted was gibberish.

It's good that you know what to do, because most of what I spouted was gibberish.

Well, you did pretty good for spouting off gibberish! Annuities are not investment products, though many people confuse them as such. They are wealth management products mostly used for tax deferring purposes above all else.

Source: Actuarial work at John Hancock in the Annuities Management Department.

Well, you did pretty good for spouting off gibberish! Annuities are not investment products, though many people confuse them as such. They are wealth management products mostly used for tax deferring purposes above all else.

Source: Actuarial work at John Hancock in the Annuities Management Department.
*Dusts off his business degree* My finance professor would be proud. If he only knew who I was. And I could still use that financial calculator I insisted on keeping after the class ended.

Well a few people have come back to the mumbles, but I want to see more! I see you guys that casually check the forums and seem to only stick to the forums lately. I recall several of the fun discussions that went on when we took the discussions from the forums and actually had them in mumble (more stuff was divulged in mumble discussions rather than forums where you can 'doctor' up statements :p) Guess it's just society nowadays has gone from all talk to all text >.<

I think it kind of broke when it fragmented into private rooms.

When I joined it was Minor Inconvenience which always had 10+ in it, but was also always at full volume. Then the 18+ room. There were a few other rooms like the super VIP room that Ozy and Woot and Tofurkey would go in when they didn't want to be around the peasants.

Also, whispers.

We have so much choice and independence that people just rather stay socially awkward and go off with their own friends. When we had pre-made rooms, it kind of forced people to be interactive. On the other hand, people who are less socially awkward saw large rooms of people, they joined to talk or listen, and that had kind of a domino effect. More and more people would join, until you had a room of like 10-15.

Good times.

I think it kind of broke when it fragmented into private rooms.

When I joined it was Minor Inconvenience which always had 10+ in it, but was also always at full volume. Then the 18+ room. There were a few other rooms like the super VIP room that Ozy and Woot and Tofurkey would go in when they didn't want to be around the peasants.

Also, whispers.

We have so much choice and independence that people just rather stay socially awkward and go off with their own friends. When we had pre-made rooms, it kind of forced people to be interactive. On the other hand, people who are less socially awkward saw large rooms of people, they joined to talk or listen, and that had kind of a domino effect. More and more people would join, until you had a room of like 10-15.

Good times.
Oh God, the Minor Inconvience room.

The text to speech man...

CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT CIRCUMFLEX ACCENT

Every single time I've hopped into Mumble, it's dead. Nobody talks/everyone is in an 18+... and nobody talks. I always close the client because of precious RAM if I'm not using it actively.

I've just stopped checking it all together. :/

I'm at a cabin with limited internet access at the moment, but I'll try to summarize why mumble was acting spotty. I started getting nagios alerts on Friday that the entire machine was going down (hard power off) for periods of 5 minutes to several hours. Smelled like a power problem, because the machine was actually powering off, not just losing connection. Put in a ticket on Sunday morning, but they reported back that none of their data centers were experiencing power interruptions. Convinced them to look more in-depth by sending them my uptime graphs, and low and behold, the pdu for our server was "randomly" toggling the power to our outlet on and off. Weird. It's fixed now, and I'm looking forward to a fat refund under the SLA.

I'm at a cabin with limited internet access at the moment, but I'll try to summarize why mumble was acting spotty. I started getting nagios alerts on Friday that the entire machine was going down (hard power off) for periods of 5 minutes to several hours. Smelled like a power problem, because the machine was actually powering off, not just losing connection. Put in a ticket on Sunday morning, but they reported back that none of their data centers were experiencing power interruptions. Convinced them to look more in-depth by sending them my uptime graphs, and low and behold, the pdu for our server was "randomly" toggling the power to our outlet on and off. Weird. It's fixed now, and I'm looking forward to a fat refund under the SLA.
Nah it's not so much this issue, it's the issue of people that used to be mumble regulars that have now taken to popping on the forums now and then. Trying to bring the masses back to the mumbles and see what has been deterring people from getting on the classy service :D.

Sounds like a worn breaker. They tend to start tripping for no reason after a few years if you get the shit brands (which are really, really cheap so every scabby electrical contractor uses them).

EDIT: Some PDUs also have timer switches that automatically turn any open breakers back to closed at set intervals throughout the day, which explains the "random" downtime length.

That's my guess, anyway.

Sounds like a worn breaker. They tend to start tripping for no reason after a few years if you get the shit brands (which are really, really cheap so every scabby electrical contractor uses them).

EDIT: Some PDUs also have timer switches that automatically turn any open breakers back to closed at set intervals throughout the day, which explains the "random" downtime length.

That's my guess, anyway.

It's a remote access pdu, with one or two outlets that I can toggle on or off from their web ui. This is a budget box, so I'm assuming it only has a single power supply, meaning one of the controllable outlets is probably acting up.

Back