• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

My Encounter With A Veteran

Anaxo

While working tonight at Publix (a common grocery store in the Southern U.S), I ran across an older gentleman in an electric wheelchair with a veterans cap on. I said "Thank you for your service," and then shook his hand. He replied "When we all came back from Vietnam, it seemed like nobody cared, so thank you."

His response made me really sad, but I'm glad I had the chance to let him know I was thankful for what he had done.
When I think about the fact that I may one day be in his shoes, drafted and told to fight a war, it's a scary thought that makes me all the more appreciative of the sacrifices that so many have made -- whether you think the war was justified and whether the U.S. should've been involved or not.
Thank your veterans when you get the chance, you may just make their day a little bit better.

I would say Thanks to a veteran or give up my seat on the bus for one, But in the UK, There isn't any sticker or badge for veterans.

EDIT: and I don't think there are any Vietnam veterans In the UK, Only WW2 and rarely WW1 veterans, and they get their own council paid minibus service.

Although it's kind of not surprising, his response is still heartbreaking. A lot of people here wanted the war to end, so people aren't exactly grateful for it.

@amaterasu Absolutely, I certainly hope that I'm never forced to fight in a war that I don't believe in.

Always thank vets for their service when they check-in the hotel, most do seem rather surprised to be thanked for putting their lives on the line for the freedoms we enjoy. Usually it's when they identify with a VA card or retired military card that I thank em tho, as I've heard of a few people out there that buy the hats/accessories from armory shops that sell stuff to civilians.

Back