My pet project: Rebuilding Haven

StTheo

So when I first joined Creeper's Lab, I went to work rebuilding the tower I had built in single-player years ago but never finished on a survival world. After lots of long absences, I finally got it mostly built (except for windows, which are to this day unfinished), but felt like something was missing. When I was building it in the 1.0 world, it had the most awesome sunrises because it was next to Antecus's cathedral.
2012-06-06_14.23.58.png

So, to keep myself busy, I decided to try out rebuilding some of the surrounding structures from 1.0. With Schematica and a local copy of the 1.0 world, I started with Xraptor's house, which was smaller and easier to build. After finishing with that, I decided to rebuild the cathedral as well. Part of the cathedral was a subway to Haven itself, so I figured I'd try that too. The general store was nicer and better organized than my own storage, so I thought that would be a good next target. The area I've been building all this in is completely ocean, so building an underground tunnel underwater was a bit difficult, but there were plenty of sponges to raid from nearby temples.

2020-08-15_22.30.12 copy.png

I didn't really have a set goal in mind. Probably just get the buildings I cared about, maybe (but probably not) have a long-term goal for the entire town. But I kept going, and re-built the pier (since it was one of my favorite parts of the city) and several other areas. I then decided to start stocking up on the really difficult to obtain resources, in case I get to builds that use them (for example, certain crazy-large libraries or obsidian bunkers).

After a while I let the project sort of stagnate as I worked on my tower, but the mostly untouched region of the map this all was situated in started to get a bit more active. So I figured that it would be a good idea to get the rail station built as well. Got that done, and realized that I only needed a few more buildings and terrain on the east side to actually have a corner of the town completed. So I've been working feverishly this past month to get all that done and have less of that weird terrain clipping that it had up until that point. It's finally starting to come together, especially with the many oak trees that made Haven so cozy.
Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 10.31.37 PM.jpg

One of the most frustrating part of this process has been rebuilding oak trees (I could just plant new ones, but I didn't like how the random ones were usually much smaller). The 1.0 oak logs are all vertically oriented, which means I usually have to have a block beneath them. Scaffolding works for that purpose, but the randomness makes it hard to sort of zone out when building. Using world edit locally to build just the logs first and help hollow terrain out before loading the schematic has also really helped. It's only a few other places in Haven that use oak trees, so things like the northern and western part of the city should go by faster.

Location of the project in Creeper's Lab

Last edited:
Also, building in the ocean has presented a big resource issue: I’m always running out of dirt, but have tons of gravel. Luckily you can combine the two into coarse dirt and use a hoe on it to make regular dirt, so now I can just convert gravel into dirt and justify having a netherite hoe (also hoes are way more useful in 1.16).

Hmm.... I dunno if it still works in the latest builds, but I used a trick to grow the oak trees tall back then. Basically, pick a spot to plant the sapling, then two block above the ground build a 3 x 3 ring above and around the sapling with nothing in the center. I generally used cobblestone for that. It doesn't work 100% of the time, usually making you use bonemeal without seeing a tree grow or sometimes having a small derpy tree grow that you have to cut down, but most of the time a large oak tree will grow. It works more often for me than trying to grow large trees without the ring. It might be something you could try if you're still placing oak trees places. =)

Hmm.... I dunno if it still works in the latest builds, but I used a trick to grow the oak trees tall back then. Basically, pick a spot to plant the sapling, then two block above the ground build a 3 x 3 ring above and around the sapling with nothing in the center. I generally used cobblestone for that. It doesn't work 100% of the time, usually making you use bonemeal without seeing a tree grow or sometimes having a small derpy tree grow that you have to cut down, but most of the time a large oak tree will grow. It works more often for me than trying to grow large trees without the ring. It might be something you could try if you're still placing oak trees places. =)
Unfortunately, I think I've already built maybe 1/2 or 2/3 of all the oak trees, though I found a way to make the process a bit easier. Using WorldEdit locally, I made a copy of the schematic without leaves and one with leaves. That way I can build the logs first with the help of scaffolding and the leaves second. I might try something similar with the hollow command for mountains, to keep Litematica's "required materials" lists in line with what I actually need.

I actually recently got done with a major addition - Haven and Sanctum are now connected by rail.
2020-09-08_20.38.18.png
About half is an underwater tunnel using the theme of the glass underwater tunnel below that giant bridge.
2020-09-08_20.38.35.png2020-09-08_20.39.16.png

The other half is an underground tunnel using the theme of the original tunnel to the 1.0 spawn (or what was left of it).
2020-09-08_20.41.29.png2020-09-08_20.42.36.png2020-09-08_20.42.45.png
To transition between the underwater and underground portions, I used a vertical connection with soul sand bubble columns to lift the minecart, and a single water block to cushion the drop when traveling the other direction.
2020-09-08_21.01.28.png
It arrives at Sanctum right next to the much more beautiful Transcontinental bridge.
2020-09-08_21.01.13.png

My plan is to make Haven a secondary hub for the eastern side of the mostly empty northern area of CL. I haven't made any big posts on CL about this, but I actually filled up as many of the general store's chests as I could with my extra inventory and made them public. Might be able to help with expansion on that side of the map.

there exists a copy of the world in it's state 24 hours before that map died somewhere here. also i remember all the work my crazy super bridge took in trees, also the farms and the mineshaft cobble gen.

Back