Net Neutrality and the Internet Slowdown

Highrise

Whether your are familiar with the concept of net neutrality or not, head over to battleforthe.net

In brief, net neutrality prevents ISPs (Internet Service Providers) from slowing down certain websites. It was struck down recently, and Comcast has already taken advantage of the lifted restriction by charging Netflix to keep itself available to Comcast's customers. Essentially, ISPs can now control what we see and force us to pay more even more for it.

In a little over an hour, the Internet Slowdown will start. It is similar to what happened with SOPA; it's an internet protest. Countless websites are in and will replace their home pages with fake loading icons to raise awareness. You can take part too by changing your icon to a loading symbol and telling others about net neutrality. Most importantly, though, if you live in the U.S.A., contact your representative and sign the letter.

Together, we can send a message.

It was struck down recently, and Comcast has already taken advantage of the lifted restriction by charging Netflix to keep itself available to Comcast's customers.

If I were Verizon, I would take so much advantage of that. I'd call Netflix and be like "hey, don't pay Comcast, we will host your local servers, and not charge you a fee" then when everyone is furious, "hey, we have netflix over here".

If I were Verizon, I would take so much advantage of that. I'd call Netflix and be like "hey, don't pay Comcast, we will host your local servers, and not charge you a fee" then when everyone is furious, "hey, we have netflix over here".
I don't know why they would ever do that considering they are doing the same thing Comcast is doing and Verizon is the one suing Netflix after Netflix claimed verizon was throttling users internet.

I don't know why they would ever do that considering they are doing the same thing Comcast is doing and Verizon is the one suing Netflix after Netflix claimed verizon was throttling users internet.

Not to mention Google and Verizon signed a letter/treatise/manifesto that basically stated that cellular internet service is OK to offer tiered service and the like, but others (Comcast, Time Warner) should offer the internet without offering tiers, or throttling service. Not that it has any actual weight, just that this is something signed by the largest cell phone provider in the world, and one of the largest tech/website companies in the world. Linky.

Also, net neutrality has not been "struck down." The FCC is considering a proposal that would allow ISPs to offer a more direct (faster) connection with users, for a fee. Larger companies such as Apple, Google and Amazon would be able to afford such a fee if they chose to pay it, but other smaller companies/services may not. That would potentially inhibit smaller/newer businesses' ability to keep up these larger companies online, and may cause some of them to actually close down. The proposal is what could end net neutrality since bigger companies can pay for a faster inlet to the user. There was an open forum for people to write the FCC with their opinions and comments on the issue, but I think the window for that has closed.

I don't like the idea.

I should mention that Canadian laws continue to require net neutrality. If that changes, I'll be moving to wherever it still is the case.

My ISP already slows down my internet based on how much I've used. Thing is it's the only provider where I'm at so I have to deal with it.

Funny this all comes when Verizon is now giving all it's FiOS customers matching upload to its customer's download. So I get 150/150 for the same price as 150/65.

Not to mention Google and Verizon signed a letter/treatise/manifesto that basically stated that cellular internet service is OK to offer tiered service and the like, but others (Comcast, Time Warner) should offer the internet without offering tiers, or throttling service. Not that it has any actual weight, just that this is something signed by the largest cell phone provider in the world, and one of the largest tech/website companies in the world. Linky.

Also, net neutrality has not been "struck down." The FCC is considering a proposal that would allow ISPs to offer a more direct (faster) connection with users, for a fee. Larger companies such as Apple, Google and Amazon would be able to afford such a fee if they chose to pay it, but other smaller companies/services may not. That would potentially inhibit smaller/newer businesses' ability to keep up these larger companies online, and may cause some of them to actually close down. The proposal is what could end net neutrality since bigger companies can pay for a faster inlet to the user. There was an open forum for people to write the FCC with their opinions and comments on the issue, but I think the window for that has closed.

I don't like the idea.
I like the part from the John Oliver segment where the former head of the FCC said

"Don't think of it as a fast and slow lane...think of it as a fast lane and a hyperspeed lane"

Its like stand up night at the apollo up in DC.

Back