• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

New contest?

When I say review I mean that each person chooses a game of his or her choice, that way it can be a game you already have. Who ever makes the most creative review has the chance to win an xbox 360 and if woot its up for it get their review on the front page of the website. Runner ups get the choice of a 60 or 30 dollar game, depending on either first out second place. The reviews can be in any format and will be rated on creativity. this way anyone can participate. You can be creative in writing, drawing, or video editing. Or all of them. The idea is to get people active and contributing to team9000 in places other than minecraft and give us a chance to find a new game we can play. What do you guys think about that. I want something that takes a little more effort than just snapping a picture but still offerable to everyone. The prizes are bigger so the requirements should be a little bigger.

P.S. Minecraft will be the only game not allowed to be reviewed.
Like that.

When I say review I mean that each person chooses a game of his or her choice, that way it can be a game you already have. Who ever makes the most creative review has the chance to win an Xbox 360, PS3, or Wii and if woot is up for it get their review on the front page of the website. Runner ups get the choice of a 60 or 30 dollar game, depending on either first or second place. The reviews can be in any format and will be rated on creativity AND how informative they are, as it IS a review. This way anyone can participate. You can be creative in writing, drawing, or video editing. Or all of them. If Woot still has prizes laying around and like the idea, maybe we can give out prizes (beta code or $20 steam game) for the top one in each category too, that way its fair. The idea is to get people active and contributing to team9000 in places other than minecraft and give us a chance to find a new game we can play. What do you guys think about that. I want something that takes a little more effort than just snapping a picture but still offerable to everyone. The prizes are bigger so the requirements should be a little bigger.

P.S. Minecraft will be the only game not allowed to be reviewed.

^^^This is what I meant to say ^^^

I felt the idea I had needed a little expanding, so that quote is changed to reflect the expansion.

Basically Woot, if you feel like this sounds like a legit contest, I will supply the overall top 3 prizes if you are down with supplying the category prizes (two total- video and writing/pictures). I will be on mumble later tonight to discuss it and any changes or ideas anyone might have. I would really like to do this, but I want something EVERYONE feels like they could get involved in. EVERYONE NEEDS TO SHOW SOME KIND OF SUPPORT HERE!!!!! Whether through like, posts or if we could get a poll going for voting.I need a lot of people to be interested, or it wont be worth it and I won't do it. Everyone interested speak up.

I give you support!
gpscoach_support.gif

Basically Woot, if you feel like this sounds like a legit contest, I will supply the overall top 3 prizes if you are down with supplying the category prizes (two total- video and writing/pictures). I will be on mumble later tonight to discuss it and any changes or ideas anyone might have. I would really like to do this, but I want something EVERYONE feels like they could get involved in. EVERYONE NEEDS TO SHOW SOME KIND OF SUPPORT HERE!!!!! Whether through like, posts or if we could get a poll going for voting.I need a lot of people to be interested, or it wont be worth it and I won't do it. Everyone interested speak up.
Uhm I think the "Everyone" part can be a bit misleading here , not Everyone can write reviews or have the video editing skills possibly required for this. The way you make it sound would seem that those reviews will need to be of a quite high quality to have a chance. As in almost journalistic.
And if we do get to that kind of contest judging i want a review format sheet and the aspects the review will be judged for. Also quite a lot of time.

Uhm I think the "Everyone" part can be a bit misleading here , not Everyone can write reviews or have the video editing skills possibly required for this. The way you make it sound would seem that those reviews will need to be of a quite high quality to have a chance. As in almost journalistic.
And if we do get to that kind of contest judging i want a review format sheet and the aspects the review will be judged for. Also quite a lot of time.
+1337

What? Why can't people write reviews? Anyone can. It doesn't have to be journalistic nor does it have to be high quality. This is in its infancy, so instead of trying to destroy the idea, if you find issues, just give us ways to fix them. We don't have to limit this to just writing or video, it can be a simple medium to express your own favorite artistic ability. Anyone can do that. However, if anyone has an issue, don't just attack the idea because you don't like it, try to improve upon the idea. That was the point. And if you can't improve upon the idea, and you don't have a better idea, just don't say anything at all.

What? Why can't people write reviews? Anyone can. It doesn't have to be journalistic nor does it have to be high quality. This is in its infancy, so instead of trying to destroy the idea, if you find issues, just give us ways to fix them. We don't have to limit this to just writing or video, it can be a simple medium to express your own favorite artistic ability. Anyone can do that. However, if anyone has an issue, don't just attack the idea because you don't like it, try to improve upon the idea. That was the point. And if you can't improve upon the idea, and you don't have a better idea, just don't say anything at all.
Please don't call this an attack as I really wanted to hear a confirmation about how the judging will work.

I would love to give you that however this is an idea and NOTHING is final yet. When an idea is finalized all details will be released so don't worry we will give you guys all the info you need. At the moment though lets focus on an idea that people are happy with and if we find issues with something or have questions all I ask is that you ask about it. I figured you didn't mean it the way it came out I was just aggravated before I even read it. In the future just try to add on to an idea, don't just say it won't work. Sorry for being a bit snappy.

I like the idea of writing reviews for games as a contest. I don't think we should be able to pick whatever game we wish and review it, there's too much variable in that, in my opinion. I could review a top-rate game that takes hours and hours to finish and it gives me a lot of subject matter to discuss, and someone else could review something that takes a few hours to complete and therefore results in just a short review with little meat on its bone. If there is a free game somewhere that EVERYONE would have the ability to play and could review, I think we should go that route. It creates a control within the contest and will limit the potential for cheaters (i.e. plagiarizing, not actually playing the game, what have you). The judge(s) should be Wooty and/or some of the other Community Managers.

I do think that the "create your own T9K logo" contest would be a better contest. One of the rules could be no photoshop/paint/other graphic/drawing program. There are a couple of people on here that are quite good at that, and it would be a massive disadvantage to others. I think the logo has to be made out of something from the real world. This seems like it'd be an easier contest to judge.

I think we should let people choose their own games, that leaves it open to a choice for everyone. We would just have to stress a little more on the smaller games and a little less on the bigger games. We are not looking for a whole lot, so with the bigger games, I know I don't want to sit there for an hour reading or watching a review. So people with larger games could be judged by how well they condense the material and stay on point. That would allow everyone to stay on about the same track.

If a contest like this were to be held, there is only one path to be taken if "people choose their own games," and that is the judge the reviewee path, so that a list of objective points can be drawn up.

What this means is, in order to have people review different games, one must hold each game in equal standards to eachother, and soley judge the "performance" if you will, of the person giving the review. So for instance, if the game being reviewed is undeniably the worst game ever made, but the person reviewing it still makes the review entertaining and informative, they will have an equal advantage to someone reviewing an "awesome" game.

Granted, if these reviews are to be given over varying mediums, (video, posting, blog, etc etc.) there will be bias in judgement, simply because of the fact that two different mediums cannot be "judged" the same, because it is a completely arbitrary arguement, for example as to whether "writing skill" is regarded higher than "video editing skill." Thus, in order to have an effecient, and fair competition, one must chose a specific medium to give the review with.

tl;dr:
games choices dont matter
judge people on review skills
chose 1 specific medium to give reviews with

Hmm... I kind of like this idea of game reviews. I would guess that there would have to be a minimum game cap on it right? (as in the games reviewed aren't older than a set year)

If a contest like this were to be held, there is only one path to be taken if "people choose their own games," and that is the judge the reviewee path, so that a list of objective points can be drawn up.

What this means is, in order to have people review different games, one must hold each game in equal standards to eachother, and soley judge the "performance" if you will, of the person giving the review. So for instance, if the game being reviewed is undeniably the worst game ever made, but the person reviewing it still makes the review entertaining and informative, they will have an equal advantage to someone reviewing an "awesome" game.

Granted, if these reviews are to be given over varying mediums, (video, posting, blog, etc etc.) there will be bias in judgement, simply because of the fact that two different mediums cannot be "judged" the same, because it is a completely arbitrary arguement, for example as to whether "writing skill" is regarded higher than "video editing skill." Thus, in order to have an effecient, and fair competition, one must chose a specific medium to give the review with.

tl;dr:
games choices dont matter
judge people on review skills
chose 1 specific medium to give reviews with

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. So, for example, if a video review were chosen as the medium, the review MUST be a certain amount of time, no more, and no less. Likewise, a written review must be a minimum of a certain number of words, and a maximum. Just like it was in school, only a bit more entertaining.

yes, and not quite that strict, but that is the general idea. I don't want to read a 10 page review, but I dont want to watch a 10 second video either. If we were to do this, it isn't the review in question, but the person reviewing it. We would take into consideration the game and how big/long it is compared to how much information/length the person makes the review. We would also take into consideration the person's energy and creativity.

Back