• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

New Moderators Proposal

Nutshell1

Hey Admins and players. I've been playing your server for a few months now. I'm sure many of you know me, and the shenanigans i've been through in the past as well. Well i'm here because I want to be the first in starting talks about getting some permanent Moderators on Theo's LTS server.

Its been pretty difficult lately to get a hold of any of the Admins, i've seen Theo on 3 times, twice in chat. And Gurw has logged in 4 times that I've been online. Chiba hasn't logged in once since i've joined as far as i know, and i spend approximately 12 hours a week playing on the server.

What I'm looking for in a moderator is:

1) Someone who can control chat when needed with mutes and kicks. Chat spamming rarely happens, but could be easily dealt with a couple Mods

2) More uptime watching and banning griefers. I've been griefed recently, and a couple users have been banned for x-raying. It would be nice to have some staff watching this more regularly.

My personal nominations go out to DOS622 and Mountainboy965. They've always been helpful, always friendly, and hey're on practically every day, and since they're from different time zones, we would have some staff on almost 100% of the time.

I don't see the admins online that often either - also you left out PatchouIi, who I only recall seeing once in the last few months - but then I blame all that on time zones! They respond on the forums though, and things seem to get done eventually (well, maybe not about the lag yet, I don't know).

In the 1.0 world, we mostly survived despite admins who did almost nothing for fairly long stretches of time, the server basically ran itself. It probably helepd that I and others encouraged all new players to join our Towny towns since we wanted more plots and it meant they could build somewhere safe from grief. Of course I do seem to recall *that* server got really laggy too, so that the days and nights lasted for a very long time.. so it wasn't perfect, but still enjoyable.

I've had a few griefers dealt with and it was rarely by admins who were online at the time, I just post a message on the forums and wait. Of course I never had any major grief like you've just experienced where I was in a real hurry for it to get fixed :(

The thread exists as the means to get a hold of us. If you don't tell us there's a problem, we can't deal with it. I can guarantee that there's always one moderator awake and on the forums. I say this because my sleeping schedule is garbage, and I'm awake during all a.m. hours. Plus, there's also Steam to get a hold of us fast if it's really dire.

Personally, the reason why I'm never on is because I'm essentially an on-call admin. You need me, I show up. Minecraft isn't a game I feel the urge to devote all of my time to, anymore. It's fun in moderation, but other than that, I'll pass.

tl;dr: Use the thread or Steam to get a hold of us if you need us.

Understand that most moderators/admins are friends of Theo, as well as long time members.

In order to meet those criteria, you must have spent a lot of time on Minecraft, because that's what this community was based upon for years.

So basically, you have to be bored of Minecraft in order to be an admin. It's kinda paradoxical.

Understand that most moderators/admins are friends of Theo, as well as long time members.

In order to meet those criteria, you must have spent a lot of time on Minecraft, because that's what this community was based upon for years.

So basically, you have to be bored of Minecraft in order to be an admin. It's kinda paradoxical.
Not really. It's not that I'm bored with Minecraft, as if you're bored with Minecraft, you lack creativity. It's more so I have 0 drive to play it.

The thread exists as the means to get a hold of us.

Not exactly. And i'm glad you came into this thread Chiba. The purpose of this thread is to have some staff presence on the server, which currently is non-existent. Its also to further the culture of the server. The reason i suggested moderators is not by skill and ability or past experience. Its because of the respect those players hold on the server, and secondly because not everyone that plays on Theo's T9k server has necessarily been on or has access to (namely Xecutioner) the forums.

I'd like this topic to be open to debate. This isn't a coup d'etat, I'd really like to see some more Admin/Moderator presence in game.

Edit: also, i'd like to see some activity on the bans forum. there's 4 open possible grief apps in there, one of mine included

Hell, if need be, i'll throw my name in there. Have known Theo for a long time, have had past experience with being a moderator on a few servers, and I stopped playing because it just stopped being fun doing nothing all day. (My days of being creative are long passed)

It's all up to the other three, really. /waves hand - Personally, I'm cool either way. The only thing I want to do is build farms for materials in the towns, but I need the server to update to do that effectively. Still proud of the cactus farm in SB, tho.

It's all up to the other three, really. /waves hand - Personally, I'm cool either way. The only thing I want to do is build farms for materials in the towns, but I need the server to update to do that effectively. Still proud of the cactus farm in SB, tho.

The cactus farm in SB is really quite nice. :)

Hell, if need be, i'll throw my name in there. Have known Theo for a long time, have had past experience with being a moderator on a few servers, and I stopped playing because it just stopped being fun doing nothing all day. (My days of being creative are long passed)

That's a awful nice Dirt Hovel you've build recently.....

I haven't been on in awhile for awhile because, for a good awhile I was working 6 12's, and secondly I have other games I would like to play also >.>

Hey now, I've been on vacation from the server for the last few weeks. I'll be online more often for the next while, least until I go back to work.

As for Mods, I'm going to clear something up here.

We have planned on adding Moderators since the beginning. While we haven't updated it with new permissions, there is a permission group with prefix and everything already set aside for Moderators. At this very moment, we don't see a real need for Mods - everything can be dealt with via rollback, and unless something changed while I was away, we do have an ignore command for chat stuff.

HOWEVER, if there is a demand for a moderation team, we can and will appoint some. Moderators need not give up their playing experience like the Administrators have - no special privileges will be given to them, merely extra responsibilities. For the record, we have long since decided that the banhammer belongs in the hands of only the Admins - but the Mods will be able to kick and mute, and various other not-so-intense things to keep things under control. No teleportation, no creative mode, nothing that can alter the play experience.

We the Admins are watching this thread to see what the popular consensus seems to be. Again, we don't see a need for them, but if there is a demand, we will appoint a very small number of active members to the position.

Hey now, I've been on vacation from the server for the last few weeks. I'll be online more often for the next while, least until I go back to work.

As for Mods, I'm going to clear something up here.

We have planned on adding Moderators since the beginning. While we haven't updated it with new permissions, there is a permission group with prefix and everything already set aside for Moderators. At this very moment, we don't see a real need for Mods - everything can be dealt with via rollback, and unless something changed while I was away, we do have an ignore command for chat stuff.

HOWEVER, if there is a demand for a moderation team, we can and will appoint some. Moderators need not give up their playing experience like the Administrators have - no special privileges will be given to them, merely extra responsibilities. For the record, we have long since decided that the banhammer belongs in the hands of only the Admins - but the Mods will be able to kick and mute, and various other not-so-intense things to keep things under control. No teleportation, no creative mode, nothing that can alter the play experience.

We the Admins are watching this thread to see what the popular consensus seems to be. Again, we don't see a need for them, but if there is a demand, we will appoint a very small number of active members to the position.

I like this idea.

For the record, we have long since decided that the banhammer belongs in the hands of only the Admins - but the Mods will be able to kick and mute, and various other not-so-intense things to keep things under control. No teleportation, no creative mode, nothing that can alter the play experience.

This is the part i agree with the most. Again the reason i suggested the two before is 1) their play time coverage, and 2) the number seems appropriate for the average amount of traffic we have on the server. Especially since we're seeing new players join, and many of them arent old t9k players.

Lastly, we should give /rules perms to everyone. atm you cant /rules.

Edit: also i would like to add that the purpose of this thread was not to bash the admins, but to surface a concern on the server. I'd love for the solution to have everyone's best interest in mind, individually and collectively. If this is an opportunity for you to relieve some responsibility, let this be your opportunity. and conversely if this is an opportunity to take on some new responsibility, let this be the opportunity as well.

Edit2:

I'd like to also get back to this post because it hits the nail on the head. I'm looking for some active staff that doesnt have to be bored of minecraft. I realize that once you have creative and multiverse/tp the game isnt that fun anymore. A community run server can have staff from the server's community from names that are already respected on the server. That'll strengthen our little community.

And again, not looking for admins. I'd like to break away from the meta of "friends of theo/long time members" and move closer to "respected members of the server"

And again, not looking for admins. I'd like to break away from the meta of "friends of theo/long time members" and move closer to "respected members of the server"
Here's the thing.

Gurw was brought in due to his knowledge of server plug-ins and mods.
Patchy was brought in due to her past admin experiences and her skills in handling said power.
I was brought in moreso as the representative for the wants and desires of the people in the thread and server.

I would have called myself an acquaintance of Theo's when the server started. We never really hung out all that much.

Also, again, I don't find the game boring. At all. It's just I'd rather do other things, instead of dedicating most of my time to one game. This is how most of everyone was with classic, too. You had moments when you really wanted to play, and times where you completely forget that such a thing even exists still.

Yep, that's exactly how it is. I'm not looking to get rid of you guys. (especially you, come play league you butt)

Here's the thing.

Gurw was brought in due to his knowledge of server plug-ins and mods.
Patchy was brought in due to her past admin experiences and her skills in handling said power.
I was brought in moreso as the representative for the wants and desires of the people in the thread and server.

I would have called myself an acquaintance of Theo's when the server started. We never really hung out all that much.

Also, again, I don't find the game boring. At all. It's just I'd rather do other things, instead of dedicating most of my time to one game. This is how most of everyone was with classic, too. You had moments when you really wanted to play, and times where you completely forget that such a thing even exists still.
Pretty much. Theo offered the role to a few people who have experience and knowledge, and at least two of which are widely respected in the community (I'm an asshole, I'm aware).

Back