Official Pokémon Thread

OK, I think I'm breeding my Pokémon wrong. So, I've got two 'mon in the daycare right now. One has 4IVs, with defense being one of the lacking IVS. The other has the defense IV. The 'mon with the 4IVs is holding the Destiny Knot, and the other one is holding a Power Belt (pretty sure it's a Power Belt and not a Power Band...). I've hatched I don't even know how many eggs, and the offspring have 3IVs or less, and none of the IVs are in defense. I've read multiple other sites about breeding, and maybe I'm inadvertently cutting a corner by giving both of them an item that carries over their IVs like that. I know that breeding for near-perfect IVs is difficult, but I didn't think it'd be this difficult. I'm willing to settle for IVs in attack and defense, but I'm not even getting that lucky. Guidance/reassurance would be appreciated.

OK, I think I'm breeding my Pokémon wrong. So, I've got two 'mon in the daycare right now. One has 4IVs, with defense being one of the lacking IVS. The other has the defense IV. The 'mon with the 4IVs is holding the Destiny Knot, and the other one is holding a Power Belt (pretty sure it's a Power Belt and not a Power Band...). I've hatched I don't even know how many eggs, and the offspring have 3IVs or less, and none of the IVs are in defense. I've read multiple other sites about breeding, and maybe I'm inadvertently cutting a corner by giving both of them an item that carries over their IVs like that. I know that breeding for near-perfect IVs is difficult, but I didn't think it'd be this difficult. I'm willing to settle for IVs in attack and defense, but I'm not even getting that lucky. Guidance/reassurance would be appreciated.
Well one thing for sure; using a power item will ensure you only get 4IVs from the Destiny Knot.

Destiny Knot passes down 5IVs conglomerate from both parents, but if you're having one hold a power item, it'll only pass down 4 other IVs in addition to the stat affected by the power item. In other words, you can't have one parent hold a power item, and pass that IV, while also getting the other 5IVs from Destiny Knot. The power item IV takes up one of the 5 that Destiny Knot passes down.

Other than that, I would say you're just having bad luck with the RNG. You could be getting the 5IVs, but getting 3 of them from the parent with only 1IV. Trying to match up holes like that doesn't give you the greatest odds to breed a child with the IVs you want. I would say replace the 1IV parent with a 2 or 3IV that has the Defense stat you're looking for, along with an IV from your 4IV parent. The more overlapping IVs you have between your parents, the greater your odds.

Hope that helped a little. Or at least made sense. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to clarify. =P

Well one thing for sure; using a power item will ensure you only get 4IVs from the Destiny Knot.

Destiny Knot passes down 5IVs conglomerate from both parents, but if you're having one hold a power item, it'll only pass down 4 other IVs in addition to the stat affected by the power item. In other words, you can't have one parent hold a power item, and pass that IV, while also getting the other 5IVs from Destiny Knot. The power item IV takes up one of the 5 that Destiny Knot passes down.

Other than that, I would say you're just having bad luck with the RNG. You could be getting the 5IVs, but getting 3 of them from the parent with only 1IV. Trying to match up holes like that doesn't give you the greatest odds to breed a child with the IVs you want. I would say replace the 1IV parent with a 2 or 3IV that has the Defense stat you're looking for, along with an IV from your 4IV parent. The more overlapping IVs you have between your parents, the greater your odds.

Hope that helped a little. Or at least made sense. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to clarify. =P

Makes sense, I appreciate it. I am hoping I'm getting all of my bad luck out on this one pokemon, and I'll have much better luck on the rest.

This.
This is why I don't do competitive battling.
But anyway it really is just luck. Buckle up kiddo, its a long ride.

I'm breeding these mamma-jammas for the T9k League. Come at me, bro.

Breeding IVs comes down to math, but paying attention to the IV Rater-dude can help you pick the right Pokemon to breed, based not only on which have perfect IVs, but which have better overall potentials, too.

ConceitedCupcake is right about breeding individual IVs--the kid has three different values it can inherit: the specific IV from a parent or an average of the two parents' IVs. So, if you breed two parents with perfect Attack IVs, the kid will almost certainly inherit a perfect Attack IV. If only one parent has the perfect IV, Power items increase the chances that IV is passed down, but it still might inherit the crappy IV or an average of the two.

The IV Rater-Dude comes in handy when breeding many IVs. His remarks about overall potential indicate just how strong all a Pokemon's IVs are--like an average of all 6. The best potential is "outstanding"; "relatively superior" is better than "decent" and so on. When breeding multiple IVs, you want to make sure that you're breeding "outstanding" Pokemon. if a "relatively superior" Pokemon and an "outstanding" Pokemon both have 3 perfect IVs, drop the "relatively superior" in favor of the "outstanding".

If you're stuck, use Power items/Destiny Knot to breed "outstanding" parents (even if they only have 3 perfect IVs) and continue to chain like that. To make things easier/shorter for me, I usually stop after 5 perfect IVs--an Adamant Heracross does not need a perfect SpAtt IV, imho.

Hope that helps.

I need help. Someone take these little fuckers, please.
rCo6dZq.jpg
YyDkcGm.jpg

They have anywhere between 0 and 5 perfect IVs. All are Jolly with the moveset shown above. Abilities can vary. If you want one with Pokerus, just say so.

Trade me anything for them, I'm just trying to get rid of the little runts. I'll trade you them at random, but if you want one with guaranteed better IVs, shoot me an offer that I like.

I need help. Someone take these little fuckers, please.
rCo6dZq.jpg
YyDkcGm.jpg

They have anywhere between 0 and 5 perfect IVs. All are Jolly with the moveset shown above. Abilities can vary. If you want one with Pokerus, just say so.

Trade me anything for them, I'm just trying to get rid of the little runts. I'll trade you them at random, but if you want one with guaranteed better IVs, shoot me an offer that I like.

If you don't care what you get, why not Wonder Trade them? I've gotten a few really good Pokemon that way.

If you don't care what you get, why not Wonder Trade them? I've gotten a few really good Pokemon that way.
In case anyone around here wants a 5IV Jolly Scraggy with Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Drain Punch, and Dragon Dance. I enjoy breeding good specimens and handing them out to friends.

Hell, I'd be breeding entire teams for others in the Pokemon League if it didn't mean that I'd know everyone's rosters.

And yes, I'll be wonder trading them soon. After I hand out any Scraggies to anyone that wants one.

In case anyone around here wants a 5IV Jolly Scraggy with Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Drain Punch, and Dragon Dance. I enjoy breeding good specimens and handing them out to friends.

Hell, I'd be breeding entire teams for others in the Pokemon League if it didn't mean that I'd know everyone's rosters.

And yes, I'll be wonder trading them soon. After I hand out any Scraggies to anyone that wants one.

Aw, heck, why not? I'll take one. What would you like? I have a 5 IV (bad SpAtt) Modest female Gyarados, if you like. Or something else: my Dex is up to 697 or so. I have 'mon to spare.

My friend code is on the Friend Code thread, or let me know and I can find it and post it again.

Speaking of pokemon, I recently have come across my pokemon cards. This is when there was still 150/151. A lot of Rocket, first and second editions, but I am slowly in the process of looking at them and looking them up. A couple of cards are work almost a buck a piece, by a couple of sources.

Has anyone got a Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite with ExtremeSpeed? I believe there was an event Dratini from HG/SS that knew the move, and that it was breed-able. I'd consider trading a premium for it, including a 'Mon with many perfect IVs or moveset for it.

...This isn't for the Official T9K Pokemon League--just looking to kick some ass in on-line ranked battles.

Has anyone got a Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite with ExtremeSpeed? I believe there was an event Dratini from HG/SS that knew the move, and that it was breed-able. I'd consider trading a premium for it, including a 'Mon with many perfect IVs or moveset for it.

...This isn't for the Official T9K Pokemon League--just looking to kick some ass in on-line ranked battles.
It was an egg you receive in HGSS within the Dragon's Den in Blackthorn. Not originally a difficult task, but obtaining it and transferring it across generations will be a bit more difficult now.

It was an egg you receive in HGSS within the Dragon's Den in Blackthorn. Not originally a difficult task, but obtaining it and transferring it across generations will be a bit more difficult now.
No doubt. Nevertheless, I figure it can't hurt to ask, amiright?

Not an egg Zen, but a level 5 Dratini already knowing Extremespeed. =P And the award for pointless semantics goes to-

Fortunately for you, Barbeau, I still have a female Dratini that knows the move on my SoulSilver. It'll only take me a couple hours to transfer her up and breed an extra for you.

Hell since I'm nice like that, I'll even breed some extras beyond that. So, who here wants an Extremespeed Dratini (put your hand down, Zen, I already know you want one :y)?

Not an egg Zen, but a level 5 Dratini already knowing Extremespeed. =P And the award for pointless semantics goes to-

Fortunately for you, Barbeau, I still have a female Dratini that knows the move on my SoulSilver. It'll only take me a couple hours to transfer her up and breed an extra for you.

Hell since I'm nice like that, I'll even breed some extras beyond that. So, who here wants an Extremespeed Dratini (put your hand down, Zen, I already know you want one :y)?

Thank you very much--I have a new favorite person. Let me know if you have a specific 'Mon you'd like in return. Otherwise, I'll just try to breed you something great.

Back