PAX East 2014 - Discussion

I do plan on attending, with alot of convincing my parents, saving money from chores, and getting good grades through out the semester. But hopefully, you will see me at PAX 2014 this year :p

Frequently forgotten by people who don't travel often:
[collapse=20 Oft-Forgot Things by Non-Travellers]1. Personal Towel (We know the hotel provides them, but if you're sharing a room with several people, this guarantees you your very own towel. Also, if you plan on using a lot of makeup for a costume or dying your hair *and* use hotel towels, you will be charged a hefty fee for damaging hotel property. Please bring your own towels if you plan to do this.) You may also dip the ends in liquid vitamins and suck on the corners when needed.

* A pretty cool tip involving this is bringing a small clothespin with your name on it to attach to your towel so people can differentiate between yours and theirs. In fact, bring a couple, so you can share with people.

2. Shampoo and Conditioner (Again, the hotel provides these, but the bottles are quite small. Bringing your own ensures you will have some, especially if you use a lot of shampoo or have long hair.)

3. Toothbrush and Toothpaste (You'd be amazed at what going three days without brushing tastes like. Gross.)

4. Deodorant (If you don't bring and use this, don't be surprised when people start edging away from you in packed rooms and theaters. Don't forget the strange looks and cringed noses you'll begin to see.)

5. Razor and Shaving Cream/Gel

6. Comb and/or Hairbrush (some people do use both. You'd be surprised.)

7. One shirt for each day of the convention, plus an extra. (3 days = 4 shirts)

8. Pants (Same number as shirts.)

9. Underwear (3 sets, plus an extra.)

10. Socks (One pair per day plus an extra pair.)

11. Swimsuit (You never know.)

12. Jacket or warm sweater

13. Shoes (If you plan on spending a lot of time dancing or on your feet, make sure you have comfortable shoes with you. Your feet will hurt if you don't have comfy shoes to at least change into.)

14. Any prescribed medication (Make sure to tell your traveling companions/roommates about any medical needs you may have.)

15. Tylenol/Aspirin/etc

16. Photo ID / Driver's License / Checkbook / Car keys

17. A phone card (Not only is this cheaper than having calls charged to your hotel room, but having several people using one phone can lead to billing confusion with long distance calls. Bring a phone card so you can let your parents/significant other know you made it to the con safely.)

18. An extra pillow and blanket if several people are staying in your room.

19. Some non-perishable food from a supermarket (Like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, pretzels and bottled water or juice. While there are a lot of restaurants close by, this is an easy way to save money. In addition, you'll be able to have your midnight snack without leaving your room.)

20. Your best public manners. (You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring these along.) [/collapse]
Want to be well-prepared, as I shall be? Here's a convenient list of extra stuff to bring.
[collapse=Scout's List]
  • Small tube of super glue
  • 3 straight pins
  • 3 safety pins: 1 small and 2 medium
  • Hair pins: 3 medium and 3 heavy
  • Small sewing kit (small enough to fit into the palm of your hand)
  • Safety matches (1 pack)
  • Disposable plastic razor
  • Small emery board
  • Tylenol/Aspirin (travel sized container)
  • 6 chewable Vitamin C tablets (at least 500 mg each)
  • 2 Vitamin B complex tabs, stress formula
  • 1 pack Tums/Rolaids
  • 6 bandaids (or a travel sized pack)
  • 6 antihistamine tablets
  • 1 travel pack of tissues
  • Tube of chapstick or other lip balm
  • 6 cough drops or throat lozenges
  • Smallest size of tiger balm or camphophenique oil
  • Travel size tube of spot remover
  • Spare car and house keys
  • Breath freshener
  • 6 moist towelettes (for cleaning hands)
  • Small pencil sharpener
  • Small pen
  • 1 small pack of post-it-notes (the square ones work fine)
  • Clear nail polish
  • Small amount of masking tape wrapped around a short pencil
  • 6 rubber bands
  • 3 unlubricated condoms
  • Small penknife
  • Small tube of neosporin
  • 3 garbage bag twist ties
  • Mustache scissors (small pair of scissors will work as well)
  • Styptic pencil or qwik stop
  • Hand lotion (travel size)
  • Aloe vera gel (travel size)
  • 3 nail polish remover pad
  • Tampons or pads if you are the type to bleed occasionally
[/collapse]

*Taken from here.

Mhmm, I intend (if I go) to have a room to myself and my friend, seeing as I am unable to stay with you guys due to age restrictions and such.
I will also be closely watching the PAX site.

AND! 1000th post ^_^ took me long enough!

EDIT: It was around a 20 minute casual walk from the hotel to the nearest PAX shuttle. So just a warning if someone is planning on staying there. Also even though I'm just a peppermint fetus, can I please get accepted into the PAX private discussion this year? I was pretty upset that I was only able to meet a couple T9kers by chance on the last day.
I don't see a problem with having you in the convo this year.

If you're going to let everyone and their brother into the conversation, don't expect us to post phone numbers there.
If by everyone and their brother you mean everyone from Team9000 who is attending PAX and wants to see other members, the purpose of the conversation, then yes I do think they should be let into the conversation.
Just because you hate me doesn't mean I should be refused access to the conversation like last year. I had to be given access to another T9ker's phone number directly because I wasn't allowed access.

Please stop refusing me access just because you hate everyone younger than 18.

I understand some people under 18 are immature and overall just douchebags but that doesn't mean they should all be judged that way.

So who plans to take the train from Chicago up to Boston? I am considering it, but finds may not let me have my way this time.

If by everyone and their brother you mean everyone from Team9000 who is attending PAX and wants to see other members, the purpose of the conversation, then yes I do think they should be let into the conversation.
Just because you hate me doesn't mean I should be refused access to the conversation like last year. I had to be given access to another T9ker's phone number directly because I wasn't allowed access.

Please stop refusing me access just because you hate everyone younger than 18.
Excuse me for wishing to protect my personal information from someone who threatened to stalk me around the convention center last year. It's my personal information, and I should be able to choose with whom I share it.

If I don't want to consort with children, that's my business. I didn't say that you don't have a right to meet up with the people that want to meet up with you, that's their business. But just be aware that there are individuals involved that don't want to deal with you, and like hell if I'm going to post my phone number so you can stalk me.

Excuse me for wishing to protect my personal information from someone who threatened to stalk me around the convention center last year. It's my personal information, and I should be able to choose with whom I share it.

If I don't want to consort with children, that's my business. I didn't say that you don't have a right to meet up with the people that want to meet up with you, that's their business. But just be aware that there are individuals involved that don't want to deal with you, and like hell if I'm going to post my phone number so you can stalk me.
I apologize for jokingly saying that in mumble chat. I didn't think you would actually believe that I would do something like that. This is the first time you have ever told me anything like that. I'm surprised you would believe I would do anything like that when you make extreme jokes that are much more serious than that all the time.

So I am interested in attending PAX this year! last year when the time came around I wasn't comfortable with the idea of traveling to a different place to meet people off the internet whom I hadn't met IRL. This upcoming year I really do want to come, from the sounds of it you guys had a blast and I think I would be ok to come and enjoy the activities.

Unless money (or some other situation arises) I plan on coming so please count me in!

I have to do research to figure out the cheapest way to get to it next year, I figure I could drive but that is a lot of gas money man :p

My attendance to PAX this year depends on where I get my Co-Op for Northeastern. I could get one in Boston which would be great for attending PAX and all, but for all I know, I could be on the other side of the world come April. I will buy a 3 day pass and when I find out where I will be on Co-Op starting in January, I will keep it or sell it!

I will hopefully be attending Pax. I am saving up now, trying to find a steady job to replace the odd jobs. If all goes as intended, I will be there. Crossing my fingers.

Back