Possibly getting a different laptop

DaGamer12345

So I'm going to get a new laptop within the next 4 months, depending on how money will work for me. I found a couple on Newegg that look nice:

34-231-170-TS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231170

and

34-312-833-TS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312833

I'm leaning toward the Asus because it has more for the price, but the only reason I thought about the Lenovo and decided to take a peek at it is just in case the Asus gets removed or something. I'm not sure. The Asus seems better in every way over the Lenovo except the graphics card.
If you have laptops you could recommend me looking at, I'd like to stay within the $600-$800 range. Also, the main reason why I want a laptop over a desktop is because I need portability.

Also, a few questions:
  • How many cores does an i7 have? 4 cores in an i7
  • Is the i7 64-bit? Reason I'm asking is because on the laptop description all it says is "Windows 8", and not 32-bit/64-bit i7 is 64-bit. This however raises the question of whether or not the OS is 64-bit The OS has to be 64-bit to work with these.
  • Also, does it matter a lot if it's 32/64-bit? Won't matter because they both are 64-bit
  • When I get the laptop, should I do a clean install of Windows 8 or not? I should. New question raised: can I use the product key the laptop came with or not? Nope.
And those are my questions.

So I'm going to get a new laptop within the next 4 months, depending on how money will work for me. I found a couple on Newegg that look nice:

34-231-170-TS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231170

and

34-312-833-TS

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312833

I'm leaning toward the Asus because it has more for the price, but the only reason I thought about the Lenovo and decided to take a peek at it is just in case the Asus gets removed or something. I'm not sure. The Asus seems better in every way over the Lenovo except the graphics card.
If you have laptops you could recommend me looking at, I'd like to stay within the $600-$800 range. Also, the main reason why I want a laptop over a desktop is because I need portability.

Also, a few questions:
  • How many cores does an i7 have?
  • Is the i7 64-bit? Reason I'm asking is because on the laptop description all it says is "Windows 8", and not 32-bit/64-bit
  • Also, does it matter a lot if it's 32/64-bit?
  • When I get the laptop, should I do a clean install of Windows 8 or not?
And those are my questions.

•64 bit computers are pretty decent.
•And I never got into windows 8, windows 7 will allways stay.
•Four cores in an i7
•peanutbutter

So by looking around I found out that the i7 should be 64-bit. Off of Wikipedia: "Intel Core i7 as an Intel brand name applies to several families of desktop and laptop 64-bit x86-64 processors using the Nehalem, Westmere, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell microarchitectures."

32-bit system can only utilise 4GB of RAM, which pretty much renders most of the RAM in those laptops unusable. I'm not sure if 32-bit systems work with over 4GB of RAM? It's pretty rare to find newer systems with 32-bit OS tbh

I'd go with the Lenevo because I have no idea where some shitty 610M will get you. (even though a 720M won't get you far either). To me both of those look like a lot of bottlenecking.

-> Yes it matters if it's 32 bit or not. 32 bit limits the system to 4gb RAM. (Like Parcel said above)

-> Do a clean install of Win 8 and get rid of all the stupid bloatware those computers are filled with.

Windows 8 laptops do not come with COA (Code of Authenticity). The codes are stored in BIOS. Only way to a product code is retail. If you go look it up it will most likely be censored.

Just buy it. It's cheap. The upgrade is like $40?

I just remembered something. Windows 8 has a feature that allows you to "refresh or reset" it. Reset I believe is like a factory reset. Would this remove bloatware or no?

:/ ah well, I could probably just uninstall what I don't need anyway. Do either Lenovo or Asus put a lot of bloatware on their PCs?

Discrete graphics are separate and individual of the internal or CPU graphics.

Good in most cases. The bottom one has a 730 vs the 610 in the top one. Both suck balls. 730 will have more graphical power. In exchange, it will possibly consume more power and have reduced battery life.

Suddenly, undiscontinued! The ASUS that was discontinued is now moved up to "Out of Stock". So maybe there's still hope?

So, due to me not expecting the large amount of money I will be getting around my birthday that includes Christmas money and the money I am owed, I will be able to get a better laptop!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231136
(too lazy to put a picture, but I'll put the basic specs)

• Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz)
  • 8GB Memory 1TB HDD
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX
  • 1920 x 1080
  • Windows 8 64-Bit

I learned that through benchmarks, GeForce GT sucks balls. This laptop however has a GTX 670MX (what does the X mean on that? I know M is mobile). So this is considerably much better than any of the other laptops I have found. I will have an absolute minimum of $720 by Jan. 10, or an approximate maximum of $870. It all depends on how it plays out. I could always borrow money from my parents and pay it back though if I'm close but not close enough.

I have a very similar laptop to that DaGamer(only in netbook form), It continually surprises me.

Note: Don't expect to game on an external monitor through the HDMI port(idk about the VGA port)...Trying this with mine proved tera-bad. I imagine the external stuff has a different graphics card. I guess you can give it a try, maybe the MX in there with it being a notebook and not a netbook will make a difference, just don't get your hopes up.

The 670 MX is actually a slightly different card than the 670M. It is built on a different architecture that is the same as used in the 675M and the 680M(this is what is in my laptop). The skinny of the 670MX and the 670M is that they run about the same but are built 2 different ways deep down inside. There is a slight performance boost as seen on benchmarks with the 670MX over the 670M.

Another note, if the touch-pad position and sensitivity are anything like the netbook I have, it will take some getting used to as it come to typing and not stroking your touch-pad over and over and ovaries...seriously, it's terrible...but not a deal breaker. Still the best little laptop I've ever had.

I'd also suggest, if you do a lot of gaming not at home, http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Orochi-Elite-Mobile-Gaming/dp/B002JTWODG?tag=ecosia-20 . The Razer Orochi is a bluetooth mouse that also has USB. Runs off of 2 double A's, is a little small in the hand, but makes a great mobile gaming mouse. It's arguably tiny, but light, responsive(even over bluetooth, though there is a slight difference between wired and bluetooth latency) and extremely durable and portable.

Back