Potential Cure for Alzheimers?

moondoggy23

I just read this article that talks about a group of scientists who have developed a treatment for mice to give them superior memory and brain function, and also reverse memory loss from ailments such as Alzheimers. The scientists have zeroed in on a gene in the brain known as PKR that triggers Alzheimers, a gene that is found in mice and humans. Scientists blocked this gene in mice and found mice with this gene blocked had substantially better memory and brain function than their counterparts without this gene blocked. Once scientists are able to develop an inhibitor that blocks this gene in humans, there may be actual medical treatment that will totally reverse any affects of Alzheimers in people.

+1 FOR SCIENCE.

This is amazing! I hope they push this through all the way, we all know what dicks the FDA can be.

I don't want your damn Alzheimers, what am I supposed to do with this?!

I don't want your damn Alzhiemers, what am I supposed to do with this?!

But, seriously, this rocks.

+9001 for science.

Well, once they're able to make an inhibitor that is effective for humans and doesn't cause much (if any) negative side-effects, I'm sure it'll get passed by the FDA. I would imagine something like this will probably take a few years to develop before being brought to the FDA.

Back