• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Project Natal - Opinions from an Actual Gamer

Wooty

Staff member
natal.jpg

Last summer, we were all wowed during the E3 convention over the announcement of Microsoft's new controller-less controller - Natal. By simply moving your body, you can control all sorts of cool new games! Play dodgeball breakout, drive a car, paint a picture. Try on clothes, change a tire, make a flawless, high definition scan of a skateboard, make a new best friend. Wait... what?

Sure, real technology demos are awesome, but a product demo using technology that doesn't exist - well, that's just wrong. The people in these videos are just actors, interacting with pre-recorded content. That's it. You can't have a casual chat with your new computerized best friend. You can't pack a real high-def camera in a consumer grade game accessory (yet). And the biggest problem is, ton's of people will believe it. They will see this product demo and think "Wow! That is soooo 'next-gen!' I'm going to buy it as soon as possible!" Then, when the product is released, everyone realizes the technology was just smoke and mirrors.

And this certainly isn't the first accessory that was over-hyped by Microsoft or the gaming industry. Here's a few others that didn't quite catch on:
So in the end, who knows what Natal might end up like. I hope I'm proven wrong. I hope this technology is really in development. I hope that even I am surprised. But I can guarantee you one thing --- Milo will fail.

Back