Questions for anybody who knows anything about apple laptops.

BracaBrad

I've got an older apple laptop and would like to wipe it clean WITHOUT
1. having to buy the os (mac osx 10.4.11)
2. having to DL from a non know source.

so my questions are.

Does anybody know how to do this? or Does anybody have an old install dick they can send me? I could use help with this as my main instinct is just just burn the thing in a fire and dump the ashes in acid.

Does anybody have an old install dick they can send me?
Yeah I do
my main instinct is just just burn the thing in a fire and dump the ashes in acid.
Do this

Nothing is worth a Mac, unless it's Mac n' Cheese, which is delightful; in which case get your grandpa penis and shit.
Don't deny yourself that cheesy goodness.

But in all seriousness just be the Western consumerist you know you are and buy yourself an ASUS.

You cannot erase the drive and preserve the OS at the same time.

You can probably find some software online that can do it, but I would not trust it.

The best option in my opinion is to go the long way around. Make a new admin user and use it to delete all other users along with their files and settings. This will not get rid of everything because there are shared files in /Library and /Var but I would not mess with those if you are not experienced with/proficient navigating a mac. Your best bet after deleting users would be to use the disk utility in the Applications/Utilities folder and erase free space.

What year is the laptop from and what are the specs? Is it worth it to hold onto it?

Later OS's (10.7, I think) can be installed via wifi. I'm sure a 10.4 disk would be pretty cheap to purchase. Holy fuck, 100$?! Never mind.

I've got an older apple laptop and would like to wipe it clean WITHOUT
1. having to buy the os (mac osx 10.4.11)
2. having to DL from a non know source.

so my questions are.

Does anybody know how to do this? or Does anybody have an old install dick they can send me? I could use help with this as my main instinct is just just burn the thing in a fire and dump the ashes in acid.

Your laptop should have come with a OS X recovery disk for 10.4. If you do not have a Install disk then you need to Buy one which costed around $15 last time I checked. The version you need depends on the model of MacBook that you have. To get the information about your MacBook you need to go to >About This Mac and get it info there.

You should also have a backup of ALL of your data on a REMOVABLE disk that is UNPLUGGED and sitting on your bookshelf.

Before I can give more detailed help I will need to know your MacBook Model and hopefully its CPU, RAM, and hard drive specs.

Links:
Archived - Mac OS X: How to zero all data on a disk - Old instructions for wiping a Mac Hard Drive.
Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install - Instructions for wiping and reinstalling OS X on a Hard Drive on a Mac Running OS X 10.6.

Later OS's (10.7, I think) can be installed via wifi. I'm sure a 10.4 disk would be pretty cheap to purchase. Holy fuck, 100$?! Never mind.

What site are you looking at? Also the install over the internet is only available on models that were supported when Apple removed the SuperDrive from the MacBook Air and the OS install is free.

I should clarify. The crapple was given to me free of charge so i figured it was a heap anyway. Turns out that other than the case being a little battered it still works fine (for a crapple). I own all Asus products like everyone should.

--I'm just goona harvest the thing for parts. Sell the crap off separate. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.--

I should clarify. The crapple was given to me free of charge so i figured it was a heap anyway. Turns out that other than the case being a little battered it still works fine (for a crapple). I own all Asus products like everyone should.

--I'm just goona harvest the thing for parts. Sell the crap off separate. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.--

If it still has Apple Care then the Install media should be free otherwise you need to spend $15 for the media (Call Apple at 1-800-MY-APPLE). Also the only parts that can be used in non-Apple laptops is the RAM and Hard drive. You might be better with selling the laptop on ebay if you don't want it.

Another option that I do not endorse is that you could data mine the Hard drive and then transfer some $$$ into your account :devil: ;)

I only own one ASUS product and I destroyed it.

If it still has Apple Care then the Install media should be free otherwise you need to spend $15 for the media (Call Apple at 1-800-MY-APPLE). Also the only parts that can be used in non-Apple laptops is the RAM and Hard drive. You might be better with selling the laptop on ebay if you don't want it.

Another option that I do not endorse is that you could data mine the Hard drive and then transfer some $$$ into your account :devil: ;)

I feel like you didn't read.

I may have the software you're looking for, I'll find out tonight

You can get all of Apples old versions of non-pro software (All but Logic and FinalCut) free from Apple support. They just charge $15 to send a disk with what you need on it to you (Which is required for install media).

If you have your recovery media and you still have your computer you NEED to keep you recovery media unless you have the recovery firmware update on that computer and good internet.

Back