• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Ranks: An editorial by Crane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand what you're saying except for the part I quoted, mind going into more detail about that? I'm sure there's something I'm missing.

I've kind have given up and I really don't care any more, it was a thought in my head that grew out of control and when I pressed "Post reply" I kind of regretted it, to be honest. I feel like an ass for complaining about not earning a rank, and I apologise.
I think he was trying to say that if the rank is meant for people who don't want to moderate, setting distinct guidelines for it contradicts that. If we want our engineers to be people who didn't work towards the rank, giving them a set thing to work towards doesn't make sense.

I think he was trying to say that if the rank is meant for people who don't want to moderate, setting distinct guidelines for it contradicts that. If we want our engineers to be people who didn't work towards the rank, giving them a set thing to work towards doesn't make sense.
Thank makes more sense, thanks for clearing that up.

I've now dropped the subject, if anyone want's to continue that's fine. Now, I personally think that it should stay as it is.

If you aren't playing the game while moderating, why even do it? What is the motivation? Do you do it just to help woot out? Doubtful.

People get enjoyment out of moderating... It is just human nature. To be a step above everyone else and have the power to kick/ban people is a good feeling. This causes (as I have said before) a lot of ass kissing. That is pretty much the reason I don't get on mumble anymore. It was to the point where I was embarrassed for some people... I think this causes frustration for people who go about trying to get promoted without bowing down to someone.

If you aren't playing the game while moderating, why even do it? What is the motivation? Do you do it just to help woot out? Doubtful.

People get enjoyment out of moderating... It is just human nature. To be a step above everyone else and have the power to kick/ban people is a good feeling. This causes (as I have said before) a lot of ass kissing. That is pretty much the reason I don't get on mumble anymore. It was to the point where I was embarrassed for some people... I think this causes frustration for people who go about trying to get promoted without bowing down to someone.

I don't know where this bowing down and ass kissing comes from. Sure, getting to know one another helps, but there are plenty of people who never even get on mumble and have made it to awesome rank. Contrary to what you BELIEVE, you don't see everything that goes on in choosing someone for a promotion, you only see what you want to see. How much of this is true and how much of it is based off of your opinions and thoughts, I don't know, I am not you. Try and take a step back and see this from a different angle. There are plenty of people I have promoted that one or another of us epics don't like. We don't take into consideration that. We may not like someone, but if they can do the job, thats what matters. If they can be professional enough to work with everyone else, and can handle stressful situations, then they are a good candidate. I know it seems like you have to be liked, but you don't. Also, yes, to a degree, people enjoy moderating. Thats how it is, but we don't want people who sit there and kiss ass and try their hardest just to be promoted for that reason. I originally loved this community, and the only reason I wanted to moderate was to help out. I still feel that way, and even though I do not want to moderate classic anymore, its a responsibility I chose to help the community out. You don't have to believe this, nor am I asking you too. This is simply the way it is.

We can sit here and try to set guidelines, which is a good idea, we can make it easier to become an engineer, which the idea proposed for that isn't that bad. We can do a lot of things, but it will change NOTHING. If we set guidelines, people are still going to get passed up, they are still going to be in a position that they feel that THEY are ready to be promoted, but they aren't. Not everyone can be engineer, its a moderation rank, not just the next rank to make. We have made it easier, and we have set more and more guidelines out there for people asking, but the people who don't make it will always be throwing a mess around. If we set the line back some, or if we put guidelines out there, the ranks still bottleneck at Builder, so there will be people not promoted, and they will feel like its an unweighted system. Guess what, it is. Engineer is a moderation rank used to help the server, its not a next in line rank meant for everyone and no matter what is done, people will always complain about it. We move it up and promote all the people that are builder now, then the people who have yet to be builder will complain about it as soon they make builder. Like I said, the line has to be drawn somewhere, and no matter WHERE we draw it, people will be unhappy. The biggest issue I have noticed however, seems to be that people think Engineer is just the next rank, and they strive to make it, but it isn't. Engineer+ is a rank structure of its own, meant to moderate the server, not to be the next rank to achieve in game. I am sorry certain people did not make Engineer. I am sorry people find it difficult and I am sure in some cases unfair. However, we can not just go around promoting people because they are having a hard time.
If we set solid guidelines out there, people will strive to be Engineer, right? So what happens now when someone strives to be Engineer and while their friend makes it, they do not. Now they are going to be disheartened and most likely angry. If we set guidelines out, that will cause several problems and is contradictory of the rank. First, the rank is meant for people who don't want to really moderate, so setting guidelines contradicts that. Two, setting guidelines entails that everyone can make Engineer, when only a very small percentage of builders can make it. Finally, if we have to sit here and spell out what it means to be Engineer, and you guys can not figure it out, then what does that say about how you would handle the position? Sure, some of you need a helping hand, but the idea engineer doesn't need it spelled out, he/she can watch engineers, and see how they act. The builder is able to learn from situations in game and apply that to his position. If you can not do that, then how can we expect you to learn from situations in game that help you deal with guests and their problems?
Please keep in mind that just because we do not agree with your ideas, that does not mean we do not appreciate them. Not every idea is plausible and possible. If your idea gets shot down, keep in mind that a lot goes on behind the scenes, and that while it may be a good idea, more comes into play then you may think. Please do not let this stop you from posting your ideas in the future. If you have more to add here, feel free. As long as this stays a discussion and does not turn into a flame war or argument, I have no problem talking about it. If you have an issue with myself or something I said, feel free to PM me about it.
Sure.
But maybe the issue isn't about actually changing anything, but:
1. Giving the people who want to help some guidelines as to what they should be doing (so they don't just piss everyone else off and waste time)
2: Impressing upon people that it's not 'just another rank'
3: Having a better justification as to why people get dismissed.

It's really just a suggestion. Heck, I only ever get on Classic once in a blue moon, and quite frankly, I gave up on Classic more than half a year ago.

But thanks for responding anyway.

Don't think I'm trying to contradict what's already out there or anything. Engineer should been a damn hard thing to work up to. But, you know, it's just my personal preference that I work better when there's clear guidelines. (So I know what to break, lol. :D) < Joking.

Just one final rudeness - if at all possible, can you put some spacing in your text when you reply? I love hearing what you hafta say, but sometimes it's hard for me to synthesize the point across when it's all like 'ZOMG TEXT WALL'.
...That being said, I probably over-space, but anyways,

Crane,

Your opinion is worthless and no one wants to read your talking. It was made significantly worse because I know what your voice sounds like.

Please never do this again.

Thank you.

[EDIT]; Also I love you.

Crane,

Your opinion is worthless and no one wants to read your talking. It was made significantly worse because I know what your voice sounds like.

Thank you.
Whoooooo, guy's back and the claws are out-ah!
133287321334261.gif

Crane,

Thank you.

[EDIT]; Also I love you.
Dear Terghan,

You're worthless and not even your mother loves you.

Sincerely,
Crane

P.s. <3

P.p.s.: At least you're not a ginger. And if you are: HA! You're a ginger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back