RCA/AV/Composite to HDMI

moondoggy23

I've got several old consoles hooked up to my 32" HDTV in my house, which all use RCA/AV/Composite cables, rather than HDMI. I've got a switchbox for the old consoles so they all go from one RCA output to one RCA input on the TV. I'm looking to get a converter box to convert the signal from RCA to HDMI. I've been told that doing so improves the image quality. Just wanted to see if anyone else here has done something like this before I take the plunge.

Think of it this way, go to photoshop and resize any 640x480 picture to a 1920x1080 picture and see what the result is. :D Not to mention your trying to go from an analog signal to a digital signal. Don't get me wrong some converters are built for converting game consoles to work with HDTVs but you can judge the quality.

Think of it this way, go to photoshop and resize any 640x480 picture to a 1920x1080 picture and see what the result is. :D Not to mention your trying to go from an analog signal to a digital signal. Don't get me wrong some converters are built for converting game consoles to work with HDTVs but you can judge the quality.

That pretty much sells it for me. I was playing OoT the other night and it was almost painful to see. I have one in my cart I've been sitting on, from what I can tell, it's one of the best rated on Amazon.

Your TV has its own built-in resolution scaler. Don't be pissed if you buy an external one and it looks the same.

Before you buy that, take a look at this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hdretrovision/sega-genesis-and-super-nintendo-component-cables

I'm in for one... the SNES cables look phenomenal.
That's cool, but I've got an NES, Sega Genesis, N64, PSX and PS2. That cable would only be useful for one system.

Your TV has its own built-in resolution scaler. Don't be pissed if you buy an external one and it looks the same.
I hoping for *any* improvement in picture quality. If the picture doesn't improve, then I'm just going to return it. I'll get my converter box by Saturday, so I'll know soon enough. If it doesn't work, then I'm thinking about two other options, eventually:

1. Buy an old tube TV
2. I'm buying this: http://www.retron5.com/

Back