• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Requirements for posting links

Hmm, I don't know.

That won't stop the spam bots, if that's what this is about.

Better captchas.
Captchas are awful. I'd rather not have to deal with that garbage on this site.
Is it possible to have a requirement of 5 liked posts before you can post links (and subsequently, to like posts)?
This won't really do much. The text will still be there unless it prevents the posting of the post completely. However, doing this will also prevent legitimate people from being able to participate in threads such as the image thread, the IRL Pics thread and anything of that nature because of restrictions on embedding photo links if this were imposed.

I suggest either changing the limit to either a lesser value than 5 or make it based on time. The secondary option has possibly effect of limiting a new member's ability to make a welcome thread as well as participate in other threads. Another solution could be Wooty creating a forum admin that can lock, delete/hide threads and/or snip links from these posts.

Personally, I don't think this "spam filter", if you will, is even needed. A post here or there doesn't hurt anybody and you're overreacting. Plus, Wooty probably has something up his sleeve to combat this type of shenanigan.

On another site I encountered a pretty clever captcha.

It asked you: What is the last word of the first sentence of the last paragraph of this post? (text-only link here)
And said post was the rules...
If you have to do it for every post, things would become quite tedious and communication on the forums would slow or halt because of an overreaction to something that really isn't that important.

If you have to do it for every post, things would become quite tedious and communication on the forums would slow or halt because of an overreaction to something that really isn't that important.
Signing up and initial thread creation wouldn't be so bad.

That means you'd have to include the following tags:
'gmod'
'darkrp'
'sandbox'
'murder'
'admin'

...hell, just graylist everything GMod related. >_>
I say just do what we did with MC Classic promo apps: sort them so they don't appear on the front page, leave it to Mods or others to find those posts and reply. Provided those threads are in the same folder...

I think there needs to be a thing where you have to post 10 times before you can make a thread. It would weed out the bots, and anyone who spam posts can be immediately labeled as 'one of those people'. Granted, this rule can be skipped via the introduction subsection, of course.

Yes, but the people who post and respond to intro threads, thus indicating desire for some social interaction with existing T9kers, might just be the sort we'd want to keep around anyway.

Back