School project: games

DutchCheese

hello there fellow humans! (and pokemons)

in a few days i will have a school presentation about 'Games and Religion' (mainly the influence of games, but it had to be something with religion)
It is about how Games are a good or bad influence on people. Games are supposed to make people kill other in real life, according to certain people.

We decided to take multiple games, and tell about how they are not making people aggressive because they can learn from games. i need examples of games which are a good or bad influence on people.

for example, Bioshock:
gives you the choice of killing the little girls for more power, OR save them and gain less power.
but most people choose to save them, knowing it will give less power.

thanks in advance <3

(why am i posting this here? well duh, t9kgaming)

for example, Bioshock:
gives you the choice of killing the little girls for more power, OR save them and gain less power.
but most people choose to save them, knowing it will give less power.
There was an achievement for saving them all, only reason why I did.

Well you could take the amazing Portal series, where Glados tries to kill chell, but eventually becomes her friend and decides just to let her go... And portal 2 is a puzzle game.

You also have your GTAs where game progression requires you to commit crimes.

There are also a lot of games that depict realistic war violence: CoD, BF, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYApo2d8o_A
edit: fixed the original post with this video.
"If you were there and were talking to the kids that committed the columbine massacre what would you say to them?"

"I wouldn't say anything to them. I would stop and listen too what they have too say because that is what no one did."

This is why I have so much respect for these types of people. The ones that people think are the proplem are usually more wise then those who think they are the problem. I mean listening to him I heard logic. When I heard the activist group I heard a man talking claims and accusations out of his ass.

But back on topic I take back my claim on religion being tied in with shooting.

What does killing people in games have to do with religion?

(mainly the influence of games, but it had to be something with religion)

it's usually the religious people who complain about the violence in games.
especially where i live, quite some people here don't have a tv for example because their church says it is a source of evil *facedesk*

i'm a christian myself, but this is ridiculous X)

wait... am i turning this into a religion discussion? i hope not

Games and Religion somehow relates to each other?

That's a new one on me :eek:

EDIT: Although the Jewish have a top-spinning game. Forget what it's called though.

especially where i live, quite some people here don't have a tv for example because their church says it is a source of evil *facedesk*

Reminds me of when I used to go to church. Some kids brought Pokemon in to play, and they took it from them until they went home and then later they had an entire sermon about "The evils of Pokeman". Talking about how Pokemans "don't get their powers from God" so they obviously "get them from satan"

:facepalm:

Reminds me of when I used to go to church. Some kids brought Pokemon in to play, and they took it from them until they went home and then later they had an entire sermon about "The evils of Pokeman". Talking about how Pokemans "don't get their powers from God" so they obviously "get them from satan"

:facepalm:

That's odd. Because at my cristian church, pretty much every guy plays video games, some more than others. And my youth pastor has a Ps3 and has invited us over on many occasions to hang out and play CoD n stuff.

I think the better angle to take about games is the issue of morality. Religion teaches morals and how to live a good life, in what way does video games either contribute to those lessons, or hinder? Some examples of games with a grasp on the concept of morality would be some of the Bioware games (DragonAge, Mass Effect), Fable, and Fallout.

That's odd. Because at my cristian church, pretty much every guy plays video games, some more than others. And my youth pastor has a Ps3 and has invited us over on many occasions to hang out and play CoD n stuff.
I'm giving an example of the extreme derp side of the religion, obviously this is not always true.

And yes, they DID call it "Pokemans"

I think the better angle to take about games is the issue of morality. Religion teaches morals and how to live a good life, in what way does video games either contribute to those lessons, or hinder? Some examples of games with a grasp on the concept of morality would be some of the Bioware games (DragonAge, Mass Effect), Fable, and Fallout.
Game I'm playing now has a bit of that, Galactic Civilizations II. Turn based game, and every now and then you get choices of what to do about something. The good choice usually gives no benefit to you or even costs you something, the neutral option tends to weigh pros and cons and acts accordingly, and then the evil choice gives massive rewards.

Back