SimCity Offline Mode

JerzeyLegend

Well, I was very skeptical about this happening, I sided with EA and said that this wouldn’t be possible, and the community proved me wrong (not me in particular, you get the idea).

Apparently some modders have figured out how to disable the timer which kicks you out after some time without having a network connection to EA’s SimCity servers.

With these out the game will continue to play even after you have disconnected from the internet. However, this comes at a price: not being able to sync/save your city. Without EA’s server, you cannot cloud save as is required by the game. The modders however are working on a redirect to hard drives and a UI for choosing a drive destination.

Listen, I understand EA’s stance on such things, profit is #1 priority when you are such a large company. When people steal your product, you have to go to such desperate measures. However, you don’t allow that to disrupt the product. EA seems to have done just that. I don’t mind how SimCity is currently setup, EXCEPT, in the fact that I must be connected and rely on EA to keep it up and running. What then 10 years from now when I have some nostalgia, and want to play some SimCity, but EA has taken down the servers?

The people will always find a way I guess, and this only fuels corporate giants to take even more drastic steps. Despite that, I applaud the people who discovered this and helping those who can’t enjoy this game how it’s meant to be played to do just that.

Source for more information: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/SimCity-Offline-Mode-Now-Available-General-Public-53739.html

What then 10 years from now when I have some nostalgia, and want to play some SimCity, but EA has taken down the servers?[/url]
10 years? I think you give EA too much credit. FIFA 2011, which would imply only 2 years ago, was already taken offline. Granted Sim City is a larger title with undoubtedly more staying power, but still, when EA decides to release some DLC .. err Sim City 2014, they'll just scuttle the order servers and poof.

The article linked doesn't mention it, but when this mod/hack came to light last week, I was thinking the author mentioned that you could actually save the games if you turned if off and allowed the game to Sync back with EA.
Another video shows a player using edited package files to bulldoze and cause disasters in other players' cities in the region (though the poster claims this was done without server syncing, to prevent any permanent harm from being done).

10 years? I think you give EA too much credit. FIFA 2011, which would imply only 2 years ago, was already taken offline. Granted Sim City is a larger title with undoubtedly more staying power, but still, when EA decides to release some DLC .. err Sim City 2014, they'll just scuttle the order servers and poof.

The article linked doesn't mention it, but when this mod/hack came to light last week, I was thinking the author mentioned that you could actually save the games if you turned if off and allowed the game to Sync back with EA.

Yes, they were also able to go outside city boundaries as well. I give it a month or two. By summer, this game will be so fully modded that it will at least be 3/4 we all hoped it would be. However, retaliation will come in the form of constant patches and swag for those who update (bait and switch).

EDIT: Now I'm imagining a trainer of sorts. Allowing you to simply press a button to turn server syncing on and off.

Related: Linky

EA released it's list of free games for users who bought the game early:
Battlefield 3
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3
Mass Effect 3
Medal of Honor Warfighter
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

EA still has no plans to release an offline mode for the game.

Related: Linky

EA released it's list of free games for users who bought the game early:
Battlefield 3
Bejeweled 3
Dead Space 3
Mass Effect 3
Medal of Honor Warfighter
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Plants vs. Zombies
SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition

EA still has no plans to release an offline mode for the game.

Sweet, tbh. Read the FAQ, underage members get 2 games :( SimCity4 Deluxe Edition and Bejeweled 3.

Back