• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Suggestion in Regards to Potion Ingredients

Ustulo

So, while playing around in singleplayer, messing around with the amazing new potion system, I did some thinking about how we will be making potions when our official server comes online.

First off, you cannot even MAKE a potion without a blaze rod found only in drops of the nether-inhabiting beast. The blaze rod is required to build the brewer.

Most of these new potion items are made with nether items, only enhancements are the ingredients that are not dependent from the Nether. You need Nether wart, which can only grow in the nether, ghast tears, glowstone, blaze powder, and magma cream are all from the Nether, which we know we cannot access.

I'm sure no one doesn't want to have potions, so here's my suggestion.

We have a "Nether dungeon, a massive area underground with spawners spawning ghasts and blazes, where you must actually FIGHT to get these items, but no one could actually place or break blocks here.

Up in the spawn vendor we must have glowstone dust, and (most importantly) the nether wart, vital to potion brewing.

So what do you think? Without ways to get these items, there will be no way to make use of this amazing new feature in 1.9.

Can't nether warts only grow in the nether? If not, you'd still need soul sand or netherrack. Also, this isn't the first update avoided by the server due to grief possibilities or lag possibilities.

Can't nether warts only grow in the nether? If not, you'd still need soul sand or netherrack. Also, this isn't the first update avoided by the server due to grief possibilities or lag possibilities.
I know it isn't the first, but potions are BIG. And VERY useful. You can become immune to lava, fire, instantly regenerate health, poison yourself, make yourself faster, stronger, or weaker, amazing things can be done.

Nether warts can only grow in the nether.

I know it isn't the first, but potions are BIG. And VERY useful. You can become immune to lava, fire, instantly regenerate health, poison yourself, make yourself faster, stronger, or weaker, amazing things can be done.

Nether warts can only grow in the nether.
I can see how potions and enchantment is going to make minecraft Pvp more like the overly-aggressive runescape pvp. Also with the new leveling thing.

Read this for more information on brewing.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Brewing
The following are the main bases and add special effects to regular potions:
Fermented Spider Eye: gives negative effects and downgrade upgraded effects.
Glowstone (Dust): upgrades effects, but decreases their duration.
Nether Wart: neutral base for regular potions.
Redstone dust: increases the duration of effects, but downgrades upgraded effects.
The following are the main ingredients required to give the potions their special effect:
Blaze Powder: for strength.
Ghast Tear: for health.
Magma Cream: for fire resistance.
Spider Eye: for poisoning.
Sugar: for speed.

Nether Warts + Water Bottle = Awkward potion (Awkward Potion is the base potion for all positive buffs)
Glowstone dust + Water Bottle = Thick Potion
Redstone dust + Water Bottle = Mundane Potion
Fermented Spider Eye + Water Bottle = Potion of Weakness 1:30
Potion of weakness weakens the attack power of the player
Normal attack + wood sword on sheep = 2 hits; weak potion attack + wood sword on sheep = 4 hits

Awkward Potion + Ghast Tear = Instant Health
Instant Health can instantly recover lost heart without
Only recovers 3 hearts per potion
Instant Health + Glowstone Dust = Instant Health II
Instant Health II can instantly recover lost heart without
Only recovers 6 hearts per potion
If Redstone Dust is added to this potion, it is reverted back to Instant Health.

Awkward Potion + Sugar = Potion of swiftness (3:00)
Potion of swiftness increases the movement speed of the user
Sprint speed and Jumping length is also increased
Normal jumps = 2blocks, Sprint Jumps = 3 blocks, Potion sprint jumps = 4 blocks
Potion of Swiftness + Redstone Dust = Potion of Swiftness (8:00)
Potion of Swiftness + Glowstone Dust = Potion of Swiftness II (1:30)
If Redstone Dust is added to this potion, it is reverted back to Potion of Swiftness.

Awkward Potion + Spider Eye = Potion of Poison (0:45)
Potion of Poison deals poison damage for the set given time
Just like the cave spider poison, The poison will only bring your health down to half a heart
Potion of poison + Fermented Spider Eye = Potion of Harming (deals 3 heart damage)
Potion of Poison + Redstone Dust = Potion of Poison (2:00)
Potion of Poison + Glowstone Dust = Potion of Poison II (0:22)
Potion of Poison II + Fermented Spider Eye = Potion of Harming II (deals 6 heart damage)

Awkward Potion + Blaze Powder = Potion of strength
Potion of strength gives more damage with hand only.
Normal attack + hand on sheep = 10 hits; Potion attack + hand on sheep = 5 hits
Potion of Strength + Redstone Dust = Potion of Strength (8:00)
Potion of Strength (8:00) + Glowstone Dust = Potion of Strength II (1:30)
Normal attack on sheep = 8 hits; Potion attack on sheep = 2 hits

Awkward Potion + Magma Cream = Potion of Fire Resistance (3:00)
Potion of Fire Resistance grants total immunity to fire damage
Normal Fire can put you into flames but no damage will be received
Capability to swim in lava when Potion of Fire Resistance is active
Potion of Fire Resistance + Redstone Dust = Potion of Fire Resistance (8:00)
Potion of Fire Resistance + Fermented Spider Eye = Potion of Slowness (1:30)
Potion of Slowness + Redstone Dust = Potion of Slowness (4:00)

Potion of Swiftness + Fermented Spider Eye = Potion of Slowness
Potion of Slowness decreases the movement speed of the user
Potion of Slowness + Redstone Dust = Potion of Slowness (4:00)

I have a feeling potions are going to cover up some griefers hacking in fire resistance or speed. I learned after coding my own custom clients packets the server receives and can show are different things. I hope they get a plugin in 1.9 that makes the player send any packets instead of natural-game only packets. Basically a BB for mods.

Why not just implement the nether and let people enter it at their own risk, unless it's related to performance issues.

Why not just implement the nether and let people enter it at their own risk, unless it's related to performance issues.
It is related to performance issues. I think it's because Woot hosts all of his one billion servers for every game out there on one computer.

Indirect griefing, you can build a portal near someone's house portal, go in the nether, exit the nether and you'll be in their house.

Plus, this could be a great way to spend time with friends, in a combat zone fighting together.

Indirect griefing, you can build a portal near someone's house portal, go in the nether, exit the nether and you'll be in their house.

Plus, this could be a great way to spend time with friends, in a combat zone fighting together.
Indirect griefing as purposefully digging out enough diamonds and mining enough obsidian to build a portal to and from the nether? Just to destroy things? Or is it just accidental grief?

Indirect griefing as purposefully digging out enough diamonds and mining enough obsidian to build a portal to and from the nether? Just to destroy things? Or is it just accidental grief?

what Ustulo posted was stated by Wooty himself a while back so i dunno

Is that really much a problem though? How many portals does one individual need? How many will he be able to make? That one reason is of questionable importance.

Is that really much a problem though? How many portals does one individual need? How many will he be able to make? That one reason is of questionable importance.
Yes, but, it would be MUCH easier just to have a couple big rooms underneath the spawn tower, it wouldn't be lag-inducing, it would be much easier than actually going to the nether.

Yes, but, it would be MUCH easier just to have a couple big rooms underneath the spawn tower, it wouldn't be lag-inducing, it would be much easier than actually going to the nether.
But but but... it's fun in the Nether!!!

It is related to performance issues. I think it's because Woot hosts all of his one billion servers for every game out there on one computer.

Most of the performance issues can be solved by the bukkit plugin Nethrar. It causes the portal locating code to run only on "non-paired" portals with only other "non-paired" portals. Once that code runs Nethrar will "Pair" the portals and all future transfers via that portal will go directly to that portals pair without running the link code.

This also reduces the problem of someone building a portal that goes to the Nether that then goes into someones house.

URL for Nethrar: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/tp-mech-nethrar-v2-1-no-command-setup-minecart-supporting-nether-multiworld-portals-1185.10874/

Most of the performance issues can be solved by the bukkit plugin Nethrar. It causes the portal locating code to run only on "non-paired" portals with only other "non-paired" portals. Once that code runs Nethrar will "Pair" the portals and all future transfers via that portal will go directly to that portals pair without running the link code.

This also reduces the problem of someone building a portal that goes to the Nether that then goes into someones house.

URL for Nethrar: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/tp-mech-nethrar-v2-1-no-command-setup-minecart-supporting-nether-multiworld-portals-1185.10874/
I'm also against having the nether because of the resource depletion issue. Perhaps a single portal, the only one on the server could go to the nether, but I still think it would be better with the "dungeon" idea, and selling Nether Wart in the shop.

Back